IMS Tank on my WR450, Do I need YZ Scoops?

14 replies to this topic
  • Sierra Smokey

Posted June 17, 2005 - 08:54 AM

I just want further confirmation before I buy the parts. I'm wanting to put a 3.1 gallon IMS tank on my '04 WR450. I've heard that you have to use a set of YZ450F radiator scoops with the new tank. Is this the case?

• BajaFool

Posted June 17, 2005 - 09:39 AM

Yes, the IMS tank is designed to accept the YZ shrouds. Some forum members have reported that they modified the stock WR shrouds to fit, with some effort. Don't know what the WR shrouds looked like when they were done or how much effort it took. You can do a search of the forum --- lots of previous discussion of this topic.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 17, 2005 - 12:43 PM

Smokey, The Acerbis/GYT-R tank is 3.3 and you don't need no stinkin YZ "Scoops" to make it fit.. They're also cheaper...

In this pic the bike in the background is an 04 WR450 with the IMS tank on it, I couldn't finish the install cuz the "Scoops" wouldn't fit, it needs the YZ's.. The bike in the foreground is my bike with the Acerbis tank. You just might be able to save some dough on this tank.. :)

http://img.photobuck...rbistank008.jpg

Sierra Smokey.. Hmmmm Are you a COP? :)

Dan

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 17, 2005 - 12:51 PM

Re: IMS Tank on my WR450, Do I need YZ Scoops?

Smokey, The Acerbis/GYT-R tank is 3.3 and you don't need no stinkin YZ "Scoops" to make it fit.. They're also cheaper...

In this pic the bike in the background is an 04 WR450 with the IMS tank on it, I couldn't finish the install cuz the "Scoops" wouldn't fit, it needs the YZ's.. The bike in the foreground is my bike with the Acerbis tank. You just might be able to save some dough on this tank..

http://img.photobuck...rbistank008.jpg

Sierra Smokey.. Hmmmm Are you a COP?

Dan

Both of those tanks look bad to me. The Ims is so close to the exhaust that it probably boils the gas (if thats possible, but you know what I mean). The Acerbis sits so high you would never be able to have kids in the future (nutt smasher). I would go with a Clarke tank if I were you, they make the best tanks in my opinion and they are cheaper!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 17, 2005 - 01:24 PM

Both of those tanks look bad to me. The Ims is so close to the exhaust that it probably boils the gas (if thats possible, but you know what I mean). The Acerbis sits so high you would never be able to have kids in the future (nutt smasher). I would go with a Clarke tank if I were you, they make the best tanks in my opinion and they are cheaper!

Cali, Boiling gas... No... Never has.. Urban myth #123.... The IMS tank (IMO) is below average at best, the fit is average and they can rub on the valve cover. Also, all the gas that sits below the fuel inlet doesn't get used..Also IMS gives you a hokie plastic fuel cock for the right side of the tank that you just screw on and hope it doesn't leak someday (mine did), I think the IMS tank looks nice but I would never buy one for a WR. The Clark tank that you like is nice but too small to justify it's cost. I think it's a 2.8? That's only slightly bigger than the stocker, I really like Clarke tanks and I think they do a good job with KTM tanks but not for the WR. Then we have the Acerbis/GYT-R tank, it's the only tank for the WR that comes with a modular cap, meaning I can use my drybreak system when racing and when I'm not just bolt the stock filler on, that's sweet, no extra costs to buy a drybreak installation kit.... The tank's narrow too, you can barely tell it's on.. I disagree that it gets in the way of my junk, it's too far forward for that and I do ride forward as much as I can, I've never had a problem with it.... I've very happy with my Acerbis tank. I got a slammin deal from my dealer, I paid 161.00 what did you pay for your Clarke?

Dan :)

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted June 17, 2005 - 03:35 PM

I sold my IMS (for my 04 wr450) for several reasons (after 2 rides)
1. It had the Zipty Fuel Petcock for the right side and I felt is was way to close to the header, even with alum heat tiles/stickers on the fuel hose and around the petcock. On first ride in 70degree weather I noticed the lower radiator shroud sticking out where it attaches to the tank. The tank was bulging out enough to make the end of the shroud/tank stick out about 1/2". When the bike was cool the shroud was flush with the tank.
2. the tank rubs on the heads, both sides, can you say rub thru the tank at some point.
3. I just felt like in the long run the risk was not worth it. I dont want my bike to burn up, or at the least find a leak in a year or so.
4. The tank felt thin compared to other IMS tanks I have.
5. The Zip Ty Racing fuel pet cock was another thing, it screws into the tank, like a bolt going into a nut. Not like the stock that has 2 screws on either side. I felt a layover on the right side could hit the petcock and unscrew it slighty causing a leak, gas 1" from the header is not a good thing. The teflon tape used on the threads seemed to disolve with exposure to gas.The whole thing seemed poorly designed for safety.
My two cents.

• Seabass

Posted June 17, 2005 - 04:26 PM

I burst the fuel line of my IMS tank when it got too close to the header. Luckily I was close to my truck and could dump water on the header to cool it off. I went with the Clarke but didn't like the limited range, so I sold it and mounted the IMS tank back on. I wrapped the fuel line with heat deflecting tape and I'm going to get the header coated with an aero-space coating to keep the temp down. I agree with the others that think the IMS is poorly designed!!! I wish I'd known about the Acerbis tank before I bought the IMS one :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted June 17, 2005 - 06:39 PM

The clarke tank is 3.3 gallons, what more do you need? How much does the ims and acerbis hold? Clarke also makes a stock yz size tank but I'm not sure how much it holds. Does anyone know how much a stock yz tank holds?

• Sierra Smokey

Posted June 20, 2005 - 07:55 AM

O.K., looking at the pic of the Acerbis tank mounted on the WR, it looks like the top front of the tank comes really close to the gooseneck. Will this tank (the Acerbis) work with a steering stabilizer?

• jerryls

Posted June 20, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I have the Acerbis tank on my '04. It doesn't interfere with the Scotts stabilizer. And mine required YZ scoops.

Jerry

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 20, 2005 - 01:56 PM

The clarke tank is 3.3 gallons, what more do you need? How much does the ims and acerbis hold? Clarke also makes a stock yz size tank but I'm not sure how much it holds. Does anyone know how much a stock yz tank holds?

Hmmm.... :) I was under the impression that they were smaller... :)

Like............ 2.8 :D
http://www.clarkemfg...ory_Code=yamaha

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 20, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 02WR426Cali

Hmmm.... I was under the impression that they were smaller...

Like............ 2.8
http://www.clarkemfg...ory_Code=yamaha

05 WR450F
Blueribbon Coalition member
AMA D37

My bad, I was talking about a 426 tank not the 450, oops. I don't know why, but I always think when I'm on here that everyone has my bike, I guess I should start paying more attention, sorry.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 20, 2005 - 02:25 PM

I do the same thing... :)

Trust me, I really like the Clarke tank... Only if it were a little bigger I'd have one... :)

• Blatchy

Posted July 06, 2005 - 12:48 AM

Dan, does the Acerbis tank feel much wider between your legs than the IMS or stock 05 tank? Who is your dealer? Im looking to import 3 tanks to Australia. Do they do mail order.

• Endurordr

Posted July 06, 2005 - 09:06 PM

I like my IMS tank. Doesn't rub, fuel line is not an issue, uses all the fuel. Follow the directions and route things like IMS states and you should be as happy as I am.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.