Varsol on my Air filter?

4 replies to this topic
  • My426Hauls

Posted June 17, 2005 - 03:57 AM

Hello lately i have been using varsol to clean my air filter and it works like a dream but i was wondering if it would be bad for it ???
Thanks

• walent215

Posted June 17, 2005 - 04:47 AM

i dont know what varsol is but they say gas and solvents arent real good for air cleaners although ive used them plenty of times.i use simple green now and it works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2005 - 06:36 AM

Harsh petroleum solvents can potentially damage the foam the element is made of. The basic rule of thumb is not to use something that would hurt the finish of most plastics. Gasoline should be safe on any fuel system part, but it's a really bad choice for a cleaning solvent for several other reasons. It really is a lot simpler to use a water based air filter cleaner or Simple Green and an oil intended to be removed that way.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 17, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hello lately i have been using varsol to clean my air filter and it works like a dream but i was wondering if it would be bad for it ???
Thanks

What is Varsol? I have never heard of it......
Gasoline works better than anything else but will destroy the glue that holds the filter together as well as the element over a few times.....I hope Varsol is not gas....
I use Kerosene and it works very well - I always rinse the filter out in warm water afterwards....it has not ever destroyed my filters. :)

• YZ_MAN

Posted July 17, 2005 - 10:36 PM

I have used varsol for years on my air filters, personally I think its one of the better are filter cleaners out there. Varsol is NOT a harsh solevent its safe to use on fabrics and will not hurt the glue on the filter. I know allot of guys that clean their filter in gas or some other kind of solvent and then don't bother to RE-clean it agen with hot water and dish soap. This is very important to do because the filter may look nice and clean now that all the old oil is off but there still could be some fine grit left over in it. I have never just cleaned a filter in solvent then just let it dry and re-oil it and put it in my bike and I never will. I allways follow up on the hot water and dish soap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.