Can I add an ignition key to a XR650R?

20 replies to this topic
  • kpmnc24

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:19 AM

I was wondering if I can somehow add a key system to an XR650R? This would be in addition to a dual sport kit. I don't want the bike to be able to be ridden off while it's sitting in a parking lot.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:26 AM

an ignition key that would shut off the spark plug? you cant put an electric start on it if thats what you are asking but you could probably rig something up that would shut off the spark plug? not sure

• kpmnc24

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:29 AM

Just something to cut off the spark plug, not an electric start.

• HOOLPE

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:41 AM

there's a guy on ebay that sells a unit for @60$. it appears to be a factory
ignition from some other bike. it looks rather easy to install on a stock bike, but i'm not sure about bikes with street legal kits.

• coorsleftfield

Posted June 16, 2005 - 11:18 AM

You can get a factory keyed ignition switch for around $17.00 from servicehonda
Part number 35010-GCF-A20

Its works on the stop button circuit, not the spark wire.

• ponq

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:07 PM

You can get a factory keyed ignition switch for around $17.00 from servicehonda
Part number 35010-GCF-A20

Its works on the stop button circuit, not the spark wire.

$17 seems pretty cheap, I saw one go on ebay for ~$50.

I'm going to call honda right now.

• ponq

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:29 PM

$26.14 is what I got quoted, but the parts guy on the other end didn't seem too bright, nor understood what I was trying to do.
Is part# 35010-GCF-A20 from the xr650l? I was just wondering. I may call another honda dealer tomorrow.

• don87xr600

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:38 PM

The key would fool everyone not smart enough to twist two wires together.

• kpmnc24

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:42 PM

Can't any bike with a key be easily hotwired?

I don't plan on leaving the bike unattended for long periods of time or in bad areas.

• denro

Posted June 16, 2005 - 02:27 PM

I wouldn't mind a key too, I have a street legal kit. Whenever I leave the bike in a parking for 5 minutes. The feeling of knowing anybody can jump on it and go
is not too good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rokatt88

Posted June 16, 2005 - 02:30 PM

Just get the Electrex Dakkar Dual Sport Kit. It comes with a key for on/off. I have it on my XR650R and the whole system is holding up great! Ocotillo Wells torture tested!

• coorsleftfield

Posted June 16, 2005 - 03:24 PM

Key switch should be this one that recently sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=50463

• ponq

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:17 PM

hmm $26 from the dealer, $45 from ebay, it's usually the other way around.

Hey rokatt88 where did you get your Electrex Dakkar Dual Sport Kit, and can the key be purchased separately?

• qadsan

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:48 PM

The electrex dakar kit has a key switch integrated on their circuit board that protrudes through their housing on the side which is part of their headlight assembly. I also have a couple of these kits and they've been working out very well for me :)

If $26 if too much for you, then buy a simple toggle switch and wire it to the kill switch. Hide this toggle switch so that the average person won't find it and it will make things a bit more difficult for some theives. It should clost less than $10 for such a switch, wire, terminals, etc. Just don't put too much faith in electrically disabling your bike whether its a key switch, toggle switch, etc, because somebody can always come a long and put your bike in the back of a truck with the help of a couple guys and be gone in seconds.

• cdonowho

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Seems like you could hide a small toggle switch somewhere that worked off of the kill switch circuit. For those quick trips into the store, I just give the throttle 5 or 6 good twists... buys me a good 10 min :)

• ponq

Posted June 16, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Seems like you could hide a small toggle switch somewhere that worked off of the kill switch circuit. For those quick trips into the store, I just give the throttle 5 or 6 good twists... buys me a good 10 min :)

LOL

I have a switch, I just haven' installed it yet. I might hold up and get a key. The bike is a pig, but it's the lightest bike ive ever owned, and it would be too easy to throw it in the back of a truck.

• rippinroche

Posted June 16, 2005 - 05:28 PM

I would drop it on its side and then stand it back up before i went in shopping that should do the trick :)

• targetdrone

Posted June 16, 2005 - 06:22 PM

The key would fool everyone not smart enough to twist two wires together.

Actually, CDI ignitions are 'ON' unless grounded out. You just have to cut or unplug a wire on bikes like the XR's.

• don87xr600

Posted June 16, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, next time I see an xr with a key switch I'll cut the wires instead of twisting them together! :) I learn so much on TT.

• dick757

Posted June 17, 2005 - 02:31 AM

I deal alot with Pro Tech and as I am going to get this bike I asked if he could rig this system up for me and he told me that it would just take abit of work, but could be done
Also, it does not hurt to carry a lock for the bike as well
I do that with my DRZ400S, just for the extra security
Derick

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.