Valve adjustment symptoms??

7 replies to this topic
  • My426Hauls

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hey, i have a 2002 yz 426 and i was just wondering how i would know when to check the valve clearances. Right now when i ride it at idle i can kinda hear the valves clicking and at high rpms it will pop every once and a while so i was just wondering if it is time to check the valves
Thanks

• 02YZ426

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:24 PM

Can't hurt to check them for piece of mind. I usually check mine once a season.

• Batman

Posted June 15, 2005 - 06:36 PM

Hey, i have a 2002 yz 426 and i was just wondering how i would know when to check the valve clearances. Right now when i ride it at idle i can kinda hear the valves clicking and at high rpms it will pop every once and a while so i was just wondering if it is time to check the valves
Thanks

Keep in mind that generally the valve clearance will tighten over time so it's probably not going to be making noise ..... and I concur w/02YZ426 , check em' ! It's easy .

• yz_for_me

Posted June 15, 2005 - 06:50 PM

If you have any question, check em. I usually check mine a couple times a year.

One of the big symptoms of out of spec valves is the bike will get more difficult to start, especially when cold. You may also notice some loss of compression.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2005 - 09:49 AM

Another one is a "hanging" idle that suddenly develops for no other apparent reason that can't be entirely corrected even after you have run the fuel screw way out of range. (tight intakes)

As stated above, the norm is that clearance will decrease, because almost the only thing that actually wears to any significant degree are the valve faces. That makes them move up into the head.

• My426Hauls

Posted June 16, 2005 - 03:10 PM

thanks boys, it also may be just a spark plug

• Goosedog

Posted June 16, 2005 - 05:35 PM

I've had to have mine adjusted twice in the last 100hrs riding time on my '02426. I believe however that an inferior air filter was the culpret for excessive valve wear and have remedeed the problem now, I hope. The manuel suggests checking them every 30hrs I believe. My symtoms were mid-range popping and low compression when cold.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 16, 2005 - 06:08 PM

Dirt past the filter will definitely eat the valve seats in a real hurry. Keep an eye on them; sometimes once they start to get eaten they wear very quickly from that point.

In regards to the original question; check the valves, it's easy. As said above they will tighten (not loosen) with time. This is because as the valve and seat wear, the valve moves closer to the cam when it's closed. If they get too tight and start to leak then you run the risk of burning the valve and the seat and that's a hassle and expense that you don't want to deal with.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.