too much oil?????

6 replies to this topic
  • Mojo

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:14 PM

I recently changed the oil on my 01 wr426 after break in and, like a bonehead, apparently can't add. I put 100ml too much oil in. I asked a Yamaha dealer mechanic if this is a problem and he said no, because the frame just holds the oil and it would have no ill affect. After reading some of the postings, I'm not sure if I should trust him. Any thought would be appreciated.

• SFO

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:16 PM

don't be surprised when your crank vent spews oil...

• Mojo

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:32 PM

other than making a mess, will this cause any damage? am I better off trying to drain the extra out? Thanks for your reply.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SFO

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:36 PM

All I can say is follow the lines on your dipstick, and the proper procedures.
You might be able to suck out the excess with a turkey baster with a hose attached.
Dumping the crancase drain will void 1/2 a quart or so, geez, I know how freaky it is with a new bike.
If it was mine I would try to follow Yamahas guidelines.

• Mojo

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:43 PM

freaky.....glad i'm not the only one feeling that way. Had reservations about the drain plug, like how am I gonna measure 100ml at that speed. Turkey baster and hose, good idea i'll try it. Thanks. Just gotta make sure I buy a new one befoe the wife finds out. Cheers.

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 28, 2001 - 12:44 AM

When you drain the oil for changes, make sure your do the FRAME DRAIN as well. If you don't, you'll be added to the list I am on. I was a litre too high. Hey what can I say, I was a 2 stroke guy!

'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• forloop

Posted February 28, 2001 - 06:52 AM

I over filled my YZ the first time too. It had no ill effects on the bike. In fact I would think as long as you do not fill it higher than the return line at the top it will be just fine.

Since we have a dry sump there is not a windage problem with the crank. Like the tech said it is held in the frame.

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

[This message has been edited by forloop (edited 02-28-2001).]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.