has anyone shaved there subframe

19 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted June 15, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Has anyone out there tried cutting down there sub frame? I know Voss,Ferry,Reed and Wey (when he rode a YZ450) do it :) None of the mags went in any detail on how its done or how much they take off. :)
Does it really make that big of a difference. I have an extra sub frame and a Tig welder so it would be a zero dollar mod, just not sure if its worth it :D

• djbiker

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:36 PM

the problem is that it would lose its rigidness and would be more open to damage like bending, i know for a fact you can by a ti subframe for 450s

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:57 PM

I shaved my butt once

Don't recommend it :)

• RAMARION

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:03 PM

Yes I have..........

MXA had an article on it a few years ago. I did it on my 02 & 03 YZ.

How to do it, file the lower subframe holes 3/8-1/2 longer. Elongate the hole, this will let the seat sit lower to the ground, which equates to a lower center of gravity. The rag, said ALL Factory or Pro riders did this................

Very easy to do............. :)

• sparks426

Posted June 15, 2005 - 10:49 PM

I did the same thing as Ramarion, made a difference. One thing to watch out for - I have a Thunder Alley exhaust, and since they are built for a stock bike, I had to modify the exhaust mounts somewhat to get everything to line up correctly once I lowered the subframe. Not an issue with my stock or FMF exhaust, as they had a decent amount of slop in the mounts.

• Birdie426

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:04 AM

What about the airbox? Any mods required to keep the boot secure on the carb? Thanks for the info.

Birdie

• Slowmotion426

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:05 AM

Seems like a risky mod. Unless you're a professional racer I think it'd be a waste of time.

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:09 AM

I shaved my butt once

Don't recommend it :D

Evidently, that's a pretty popular mod...

Hey, when you're a kid that's itchin' to shave, and you just don't have that much hair anywhere, what are you supposed to do? :D :) :D

If you shave your head, everyone would laugh! :)

• DPW

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:49 AM

Seems like a risky mod. Unless you're a professional racer I think it'd be a waste of time.

It's also a nice mod for the vertically challenged crowd......

Not risky at all take your time and get a dremel tool..very simple.

• RAMARION

Posted June 16, 2005 - 07:09 AM

It's also a nice mod for the vertically challenged crowd......

Not risky at all take your time and get a dremel tool..very simple.

I did mine with a hand file, took about 5 minutes. No sweat, no worries, no airbox problem either.......... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdie426

Posted June 16, 2005 - 11:01 AM

For us vertically challenged, does it really make a noticeable difference? I'm really about 2 inches too short of inseam for the bike, but having grown up on 3 inches of rear and 5 inches of front DT-1 travel, I'm not willing to shorten up the suspension. Does the subframe slot and seat trim really make a difference for us short guys?

• RAMARION

Posted June 16, 2005 - 03:06 PM

Birdie

This mod is not about lowering the ride, it's all about lowering the center of gravity on the bike to help it turn better........I personally could not tell the height dif at all.

• mxaction

Posted June 16, 2005 - 03:08 PM

you have to be a professional racer to lower your subframe?

do you even know the purpose of doing that mod? no offense, but that was a really dumb answer.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:04 PM

Evidently, that's a pretty popular mod...

Hey, when you're a kid that's itchin' to shave, and you just don't have that much hair anywhere, what are you supposed to do? :D :) :D

If you shave your head, everyone would laugh! :)

Nah actually when i shaved my head all the girls loved it and my wife made me grow my hair back.

It just made me more irresistible :D :D :D

I agree though sounds liek a risky and a waist of time

• Protraxrptr17

Posted June 16, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Pics please!! I didn't really understand the explanation. Minor changes to COG make a huge difference. I recently did some mods to lower my bikes COG and was blown away by the results. I've been trying to decide the best way to lower the seat height/subframe. I know that alot of pro's have done it but I didn't know it was a simple mod.

• stealman

Posted June 17, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Did you guys know that there is a lowering link available for the Yamaha's now. I am thinking about getting one for my bike. I was wondering if anyone has tried one yet? What are the pro's and con's?

• dunecj2a

Posted June 17, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Storm makes a different linkage. Con is that it costs $100 plus.

• Birdie426

Posted June 17, 2005 - 11:47 AM

Birdie

This mod is not about lowering the ride, it's all about lowering the center of gravity on the bike to help it turn better........I personally could not tell the height dif at all.

Thanks. In the MXA referenced artical, it was implied that this was to help us short guys...

• ArmyGuy

Posted June 18, 2005 - 08:04 AM

Shaving the subframe wouldn't chance the COG, all you are doing is making the seat top closer to the ground. the weight of the bike (motor) stays exactly where it was. What must be considered is that the bolt under the gas tank isn't moved so the height at that point wont change, however the seat height will change on an exponential curve as you get closer to the rear fender. the seat where most people stand just behind the footpegs may only change 1/2- 5/8 inch by elongating the lower mounting holes. Doing that in conjunction with lessening the preload on the rear shock may get you up to 3 inches lower overall seat height.
Changing the linkage will move the COG because the 'pivot point' is below the motor effectively moving the mass of the bike closer to the ground.
Dan

• toastedfingers

Posted June 21, 2005 - 06:42 PM

I elongated my sub frame holes a small amount (don't remember exactly), and then took my seat and cut an inch out right where I usually sit. Electric carving knife works great. Then blended the front and rear to that spot. You can smooth out w/ a da. Staple the cover back on, presto. I have a 00 426. I sat on a stock 05 450 and then I realized how much difference it had all made. Holy crap. No way am I going to lower my bike any closer to the ground. I bash my skid plate a lot at stock height now. Good riding, Scott

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.