Tranny troubles from hard surface use?

8 replies to this topic
  • Pete_Z

Posted February 27, 2001 - 03:15 PM

I just purchased a new house which is out of town and on the lake :).I've got a lot of work to do on the place, which is going to cut into my riding time :D,but now that I'm in the country I'm planning on riding right from home whenever I can get a spare minute. In order to get to any good riding areas I will have to run some paved and hard packed dirt roads.My 2000 WR 400 is street plated, but because I live in the city I almost always load it in the truck to get to where I want to go.Seeing as that is going to change,I'm worried that riding the blacktop might hurt my tranny. I read an article about supermotard conversions and how it was hard on dirtbike gearboxes because there was no cush-drive (damper) in the rear hub to take the shock due to the extra traction available on pavement.I really don't want to break my bike!Are there any other T-talkers out there that have logged lots of pavement miles on basically stock WRs? Have you had any problems?Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

• Clark_Mason

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:10 PM

I'm probably pushing 3500 to 4000 miles on my 99WZ420 and approx half of that mileage has been on pavement or hard pack dirt roads when I ride out of my garage in Valencia, Ca. I have had zero tranny problems and replaced one set of clutch fiber plates. I run HD clutch springs in this bike as its a 420 with a 13.5 piston which is a real torque boost. I ran Mobil 1 and Yamalube probably 50% of the mileage on each brand of oil.

Clark

• SFO

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:20 PM

I street rode my Husky 610 for a year...
All it did was eat drive side rear wheel brgs and rip wheelies...
I just had to watch my drive line set-up, ie chain sprockets and spokes.
There are cush drive options if there is a problem.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 27, 2001 - 07:42 PM

I have many street miles on my 98 WR, zero problems with tranny or anything else. I also have 10k miles on my CBR900RR with PM wheels & no cush drive, zero problems.

Your mileage may differ!

Roy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pete_Z

Posted February 28, 2001 - 06:01 AM

Thanks to all for the info!Just wondering what tires you guys run and how well they stand up to pavement use.I currently run Dunlop 756's which I am happy with in terms of performance and durabilty,but I really haven't subjected them to much road use.I doubt that there's a perfect off-road tire that wears well on the street,but I don't want to put new skins on after every second ride either.Has anyone tried any of the D.O.T. approved knobbies?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 28, 2001 - 06:54 AM

I have been using the Kenda K760 Trak Master II on the rear tire for about 6 months, and it works great. About $50 from Dennis Kirk. I'm using the 110/100-18 right now, but my next one will be 120/100-18 (wider is better). The knobbies are very aggressive and they seem to last. I've got about 2K miles on it, with a fair amount of street riding, but mostly sand and dirt roads, and they are still going strong. I didn't get a front Kenda, but a friend did and he didn't like 'em. Said he lost some traction in turns. The only drawback is that the stiff sidewalls make them a bear to put on.

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 02-28-2001).]

• bonez34

Posted February 28, 2001 - 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
I have been using the Kenda K760 Trak Master II on the rear tire for about 6 months, and it works great. About $50 from Dennis Kirk. I'm using the 110/100-18 right now, but my next one will be 120/100-18 (wider is better). The knobbies are very aggressive and they seem to last. I've got about 2K miles on it, with a fair amount of street riding, but mostly sand and dirt roads, and they are still going strong. I didn't get a front Kenda, but a friend did and he didn't like 'em. Said he lost some traction in turns. The only drawback is that the stiff sidewalls make them a bear to put on.

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 02-28-2001).]

rich, you can get them cheaper by a few bucks from chaparral- we ordered 3 of those for like 115-120 shipped to our door. check them out. dennis kirk has free shipping but they add it in to the price of the tire. but they are open 24 hours- that's like the only moto place that is that i know of.

• Heywood

Posted March 01, 2001 - 10:16 PM

I've logged a fair amount of street miles with no problems.....

I have a Dunlop 606 on the rear and a K139 on front. Both DOT had hold up VERY well to pavement and hard pack. The 606 is a little narrow, but overall I think it's a good combo for DOT legal.

• Andy_Baker

Posted March 01, 2001 - 01:42 PM

I have a '00 WR400 and have done over 3000km - around 80% of which are on the road. I have had no problems at all with anything ( except keeping the front wheel down !) I will be doing many more miles sonn , as I shall be using the beast to get to work on ( around 90km per day ) so i will keep you posted if I have any problems ( although I doubt that I shall)
I am running a Dunlop 756 on the rear and a 752 on the front. I cant really comment on the wear character as they have only done around 300km so far , but for a MX tyre they seem fairly stable on the road - better than many dual purpose tyres I have used before.

Andy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.