'04 WR450 Valve Check

5 replies to this topic
  • RADRick

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:57 PM

After riding the track pretty hard on Saturday I decided it was time to check my valve clearances for the first time since getting my WR in November. I've got about 750 miles on the bike and have been changing the oil about every 150 miles. After break-in, I have used nothing but Royal Purple synthetic. Popped the valve cover off and couldn't believe how clean the top end was. Cam chain was tight and the cam lobes looked like new. Got out the feeler gauges and checked. All the valves were within spec. The two outboard intakes were close to the low end of spec, but not by much. The exhausts were right in the middle.

The whole process took about an hour so I decided to check my brother's '03 YZ250F, as well. He doesn't ride as hard or as much as I do, but his bike is older and has more miles. His valves were also still in spec, but a litle bit closer to the limits than mine. Just what I would have expected.

Anyone that says the 4-strokes are too complicated or require too much labor probably has a fear of wrenching on their bike. Change the oil regularly, watch the service intervals, and you should be fine. :)

• Juiceman

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:38 PM

I also just checked my valve on my 05 WR 450 I agree it was simple. I checked mine at 420 miles and I checked them cold. All were in spec. I told the guy at my local shop and he said I should have checked then warm not hot but warm. Now I diddint argue with him cause thats not my thing if you know what I mean. In the manual it is not real clear but I gathered that you check em cold.

How did you do yours?

• Cluck Kent

Posted June 13, 2005 - 09:21 PM

The manual for the 1999 model (mine) and all the write ups I have read definitely say to do them cold? There is also a good discussion on them on www.thumperfaq.com and his instructions are also to do em cold so not too sure why the shop guy would have said check them while the engine is warm. My manual says run the bike then let it sit for three hours! Based on what I have felt the engine is cold. I am just going to check mine this week and will be doing the run and three hour sitting thingy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcracer123

Posted June 14, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Yeah, all tolerances are to be checked cold. Just did mine two weeks ago after a season of racing and trail riding. All three intakes were a little tight but the exhaust were in still in the middle. Not a bad job at all.

• RADRick

Posted June 14, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I also just checked my valve on my 05 WR 450 I agree it was simple. I checked mine at 420 miles and I checked them cold. All were in spec. I told the guy at my local shop and he said I should have checked then warm not hot but warm. Now I diddint argue with him cause thats not my thing if you know what I mean. In the manual it is not real clear but I gathered that you check em cold.

How did you do yours?

Cold! You need to find a new mechanic. Yamaha not only says to check them cold, but they recommend the motor not have been run for at least 12 hours before checking. I'd be real concerned about letting that shop work on my bike if they can't get this simple thing right. :)

• Juiceman

Posted June 14, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Rick,

I agree, I would never let that shop or any other touch my bike! The dealer that I got the bike from really tried to push me to bring my bike in for the oil changes and valve adjust. He tried to scare me with the warranty --- I said what warranty it's a dirt bike! 30 days is not much of a warranty so I am not worried about it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.