04' WR450F 5th gear gone - Please help

9 replies to this topic
  • Kot

Posted June 13, 2005 - 05:38 PM

Hello!

Just got back from the 200 mile trip through the sandy beachers of Sakhalin Island. In the middle of the trip noticed that the bike would not switch into the 5th gear. Stopped the bike, no metal noise from the engine. Stopped the engine, checked the oil level, oil seemed to be OK (no metal dust).... :) 1-4th gear work just normal, returned home carefully..

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What do you guys think I should start with? I am afraid that I will need to get inside the gear box anyway, but would like to have some opinion before taking the cover off.. Please help! :)

• Gadsen

Posted June 13, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Hey, no 5th? Put a YZ fender and front number plate and sell it in "perfect condition", hey, its a though :) :) Well, looks like a teardown is in order.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 13, 2005 - 06:41 PM

Sorry to say but it's common... Don't ride the bike again.. Fragments are sitting at the bottom of your motor.. Time to split the cases...

• Kot

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Oh boy, well, at the end of the day, it's all metal, things break and needed to be replaced... I'll let you know how it goes!

• foxomatica

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:02 PM

Sounds like your shift drum has broken a bit of the casting and needs replacing. Not that tough a job, just be carefull when splitting and remating the cases. Use the appropriate tools and don't force them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kot

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Does anyone know why this happens? My best guess is that rough sand put axtra pressuer on the drum and when going low RPMs on the fith gear, it just cannot stand this extra resistance :) :)

• Hamish

Posted June 14, 2005 - 05:43 AM

I'd be leaning towards broken dog on gear (on 3rd gear if memory serves me correctly) and the drum being ok. Also expect damaged shift firk(s) as a result.
The WR is a racebike. To get the light weight and high performance that we all love, sacrifices have been made. The gearbox is one, crank cam gear is another, oil capacity is another, piston design is another....... get the picture?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted June 14, 2005 - 06:02 AM

Hey, no 5th? Put a YZ fender and front number plate and sell it in "perfect condition".

:) :) :D

• Flexatron450f

Posted April 08, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hey everyone I know this is an old forum and everything but I need some help too. I've got a WR450f 2005 and its must have had the same problem but the guy before me said when he rebuilt the bottom end he took fifth gear total out. So I want to know where I can get the parts to give me fifth gear again. I'm guessing I'll need the 2nd gear selector fork fifth gear it's self and I don't know what else, but I've got no clue where to get them from. Any help cheers.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hey everyone I know this is an old forum and everything but I need some help too. I've got a WR450f 2005 and its must have had the same problem but the guy before me said when he rebuilt the bottom end he took fifth gear total out. So I want to know where I can get the parts to give me fifth gear again. I'm guessing I'll need the 2nd gear selector fork fifth gear it's self and I don't know what else, but I've got no clue where to get them from. Any help cheers.

1. start your own thead, don't piggy back

2. get a factory service manual

3. parts can be had from hundreds of dealers. Google Yamaha motorcycle parts

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.