650L -big bore and cam

13 replies to this topic
  • CheGuevara

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:59 AM

I'm a bit of a mechanical newbie and definitely lazy, but I've finally managed to nearly complete a total rebuild of this motor (bought it completely buggered -replaced every bearing inside (that wasn't cheap), new rod, had it bored for the 10.25:1 675cc Wiseco, mild port job by Jay Wright (BareBones Machine) and plan for the Hot Cams stg1 cam. I'm replacing the entire rocker arm assembly, have installed new stock valves and springs etc... basically an all-new motor.

My question is to those who have the same cam/piston combo. Is it necessary to mill the piston crown or is there sufficient clearance?

I haven't installed the cam yet and I'm hoping to get this thing together without having to clay the head as I've never done it before, and as mentioned previously I'm lazy and don't want to put it together, take it apart and reassemble again. Once assembled I plan to spin the motor by hand of course to make sure I don't feel contact, but I'm aware this may not be a good predictor of what will happen while the motor is spinning at speed.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

• BWB63

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:14 PM

It is major important to check the valve to piston clearance. I know that is not what you want to hear. Need to check the spring bind on the valve springs and degree the new cam is a good idea. Lot's of money riding on doing these checks. You sound like you like to go to Vegas :D

Sounds like you built a 50hp XR650L!!! :) With header/muffler, Uni air filter, and a pumper carburetor that is what you should have. A 48% increase in power over a Stock XR650L :) :D That will be a awesome jump in power. Did you ride the bike before you started the rebuild?

• CheGuevara

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:56 PM

Nope, never ridden it - in fact I don't own a 650L, just the motor & electrics. All this stuff is going into my '92 TZ250 chassis :D (I've already built the mounts and test-fit the motor) and it'll be getting a full custom exhaust (reverse-cone meg) and probably a TM42 over the winter -just wanna get it running right now tho so I can register it for the street :)

I've also been told about 4 degrees advance on the cam is a good starting point for a street bike.

Thanks for the info! In the end what must be done must be done I s'pose. Any good online info for the claying procedure? Pics are good, if possible :)

50HP and I'll be well happy as the bike should weigh in around 250lbs (up from 220 with the TZ motor).

cheers,
-Mike

• BWB63

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:07 PM

Nope, never ridden it - in fact I don't own a 650L, just the motor & electrics. All this stuff is going into my '92 TZ250 chassis :D (I've already built the mounts and test-fit the motor) and it'll be getting a full custom exhaust (reverse-cone meg) and probably a TM42 over the winter -just wanna get it running right now tho so I can register it for the street :)

I've also been told about 4 degrees advance on the cam is a good starting point for a street bike.

Thanks for the info! In the end what must be done must be done I s'pose. Any good online info for the claying procedure? Pics are good, if possible :)

50HP and I'll be well happy as the bike should weigh in around 250lbs (up from 220 with the TZ motor).

cheers,
-Mike

I saw a 2002 TZ 250 and that was quite a bike... and 230 pounds dry weight. That sould be a fun bike with the 650 motor.

• Rover31

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:31 PM

Hey Motorcycle diary dude!
There was a guy here or on the XR650L yahoo group who has the same sort of ride (actually race only I belive) Very good info from him in setting up my 41FCR.
Good luck!!!
Travis

• CheGuevara

Posted June 14, 2005 - 11:03 AM

Ya I've seen a few around the web. I drew my initial inspiration (and some hard-won knowlege) from a fellow named Randal Zempell who used the same vintage frame ('92) and a 600 motor. I went with the 650L motor due to the electric start and the fact that I want to put this bike on the street (didn't want the trouble of trying to fit the kicker around the huge frame spars).

It's a VERY tight squeeze in the frame -less than 1cm on either side of the barrel to the frame spars and vertical placement is restricted by the starter motor/starter clutch cover. After much measuring, pattern making and re-measuring, I've finally sorted a set of motor mounts that should work out OK.

Now I just need to find room for an oil resevoir and battery :)

-Mike

• mr660

Posted June 15, 2005 - 10:42 PM

You may want to seriously consider going with a stock HRC racing cam. Service Honda.com has it for around 240$. It is more $$$$ than the hotcam but the metal compound of the HRC matchs the stock rockers. The hot cam is a softer compound with a hardened surface. Which means one tiny blem in the surface and the hotcam will eat your new rockers alive. I put a bigbore kit in my 600, all new rockers and subs, port and polished the whole 10 yards and i did a lot of research on the cams and the HRC was the way to go if you are looking for dependability+performance. not to mention all the mods made such a difference the bike performed like it was 80 lbs lighter.

Good luck and i am sure your prototype will kick some but.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lake Cle Elum

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:23 PM

Sweet..

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:25 PM

not me

• Red4x4neck

Posted August 06, 2005 - 07:52 AM

You may want to seriously consider going with a stock HRC racing cam. Service Honda.com has it for around 240$. It is more $$$$ than the hotcam but the metal compound of the HRC matchs the stock rockers. The hot cam is a softer compound with a hardened surface. Which means one tiny blem in the surface and the hotcam will eat your new rockers alive. I put a bigbore kit in my 600, all new rockers and subs, port and polished the whole 10 yards and i did a lot of research on the cams and the HRC was the way to go if you are looking for dependability+performance. not to mention all the mods made such a difference the bike performed like it was 80 lbs lighter.

Good luck and i am sure your prototype will kick some but.

Is there an online supplier of HRC Parts. (I haven't found it on honda.com)
I am really getting tired of having to deal with the local honda sales monkeys
thanks
Rob

• Rover31

Posted August 06, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Is there an online supplier of HRC Parts. (I haven't found it on honda.com)
I am really getting tired of having to deal with the local honda sales monkeys
thanks
Rob

if you have the part # servicehonda.com can get it for you at a discount even
Travis

• Red4x4neck

Posted August 06, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Cool thanks man:worthy:

So Part #? Anyone have one for the HRC cam?
or know where to look for one?

Thanks
Rob

• Rover31

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:41 PM

try a search of this section I think I posted it here a month or 2 ago
Travis

• Rover31

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:49 PM

found it...# 1400-NH4-000
Travis

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.