The 2006 WR450f is here..

44 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:47 PM

Is the computer going to be a real enduro computer or an electronic display odo?

I doubt that the computer will be a real enduro computer, probably something nice and simple with the ability to reset the odo with pressing a couple of buttons, way better than rolling back the ancient odo's we all have. I'm sure it'll have MPH and more.. We can all thank the people at KTM for this new unit, surely it's inspired from there units found on their EXC line..

• stonewall

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:51 PM

Yeah thanks KTM....Now lets just hope it lasts for more than a few weeks before it goes haywire like the KTM units.

• GMAN69

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:55 PM

The odo on my ktm works great. Its a shame all yamaha could come up with for the wr was a odometer.

• rushfan

Posted June 15, 2005 - 06:30 PM

I talked to the dealer I bought my 05 from ( who sponsors factory Yami racers) and he said the 06 is an identical bike to the 05 except for the computer...no other changes. The 5.1 extra pounds???? Eh, Yami is bluffing :) They probably had the manual sitting on the seat when they weighed it!!! :)

• CRF_rider186

Posted June 15, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I am sure its a nice bike...but nothing can make me like the way it looks.

• rushfan

Posted June 15, 2005 - 06:38 PM

What's wrong with the way it looks?
Oh...you ride red, don't you. Well I was gonna buy a crf450, but the Yami is a better bike and it was bike of the year.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 15, 2005 - 07:35 PM

The odo on my ktm works great. Its a shame all yamaha could come up with for the wr was a odometer.

Why mess with perfection? We've had the motor and suspension for a while now.. KTM is almost there....

• GMAN69

Posted June 15, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Ya well Ive always been a yamaha guy but when I sat on the ktm I had to have one. So far its the best bike Ive ever ridden. Smooooth and so much torq its crazy. And it sure is perty.

• Blaster21996

Posted June 15, 2005 - 07:48 PM

U R a girl! Is that the only reason you came to this board? To gloat, about your boat?

• GMAN69

Posted June 15, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Ya im in love what can I say. Plus I miss you guys over here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted June 16, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I agree with GMAN. 2006 model finally shows up and the only difference is a stupid computer? :) Where is the aluminum frame that everyone and their mother said was coming out this year for the WR'S?

Don't get me wrong I love my WR, but KTM and Honda have upped the ante and then some. Yamaha better really bring the pain for '07 or my next ride could be a horse of another color. (funny thing is I said that last year :D )

Just a small request list for '07 please Mr. Yamamoto:

-fuel injection
-larger stock fuel tank
-aluminum frame (I could take it or leave it, I have no gripe with the steel)
-LOSE SOME WEIGHT TUBBY! ( I refuse to drink less beer, so something has to give :D )
-some better motor protection
-higher output electrical system (just have some HID lights stock :) )
-the option of adding the 2 trac (or just bring down the price of 2 trac from the retarded $13,000 that it is now)

A guy can dream can't he? :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:10 AM

I hear this every year.... Wah wah wah... :) I heard this about the 05s too, guess what?... It was the best year ever for the WR. Some of you cried and complained that you could build a better bike than Yamaha. Trust me the 06 and it's improvements over the 05, it will be better! When FI is cost effective and efficient enough for Yamaha they'll put it in. I guess the aluminum frame is how this 06 bike is judged, fine... It'll be there next year, that doesn't guarantee that it'll handle any better but some of you will feel like you'll be getting your money's worth. The price will go up too... But I'm sure you whine about that too....

Little change isn't bad... Look at the CRF, that's the one bike out of all of the MX'rs that is the closest to perfection for everyone.. The little changes that Honda makes to those bikes are keeping it ahead of the competition. The WR is in a good place right now, they really have come a long way since the 98 400, they're fast, well suspended and cheap. Good enough for me...

• msgbean

Posted June 16, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Cool, new, digital enduro computer offers speedometer, clock, tripmeter, etc. in basic mode – or pace management functions such as timer, distance-compensating tripmeter, average speed, etc. when switched to race mode.

Not just an odo.

• rushfan

Posted June 16, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I hear this every year.... Wah wah wah... :D I heard this about the 05s too, guess what?... It was the best year ever for the WR. Some of you cried and complained that you could build a better bike than Yamaha. Trust me the 06 and it's improvements over the 05, it will be better! When FI is cost effective and efficient enough for Yamaha they'll put it in. I guess the aluminum frame is how this 06 bike is judged, fine... It'll be there next year, that doesn't guarantee that it'll handle any better but some of you will feel like you'll be getting your money's worth. The price will go up too... But I'm sure you whine about that too....

Little change isn't bad... Look at the CRF, that's the one bike out of all of the MX'rs that is the closest to perfection for everyone.. The little changes that Honda makes to those bikes are keeping it ahead of the competition. The WR is in a good place right now, they really have come a long way since the 98 400, they're fast, well suspended and cheap. Good enough for me...

You pretty much nailed it...I don't understand why everyone wants an aluminum framed bike. It doesn't save that much weight and really benefits yamaha more then the consumer anyway. It's cheaper for them to build and then they charge more for the bike. And, from what I have read about Honda's transition from steel, the aluminum bikes can actually be more rigid than steel. :) And as far as the FI, the carbs on these bikes are as close as you can get to it anyway and they're easier to work on... :)

• elton

Posted June 21, 2005 - 08:33 AM

I hear this every year.... Wah wah wah... :) I heard this about the 05s too, guess what?... It was the best year ever for the WR. Some of you cried and complained that you could build a better bike than Yamaha. Trust me the 06 and it's improvements over the 05, it will be better! When FI is cost effective and efficient enough for Yamaha they'll put it in. I guess the aluminum frame is how this 06 bike is judged, fine... It'll be there next year, that doesn't guarantee that it'll handle any better but some of you will feel like you'll be getting your money's worth. The price will go up too... But I'm sure you whine about that too....

Ditto;

I don't get the focus on aluminum frames; Honda's much-awaited 450X is heavier than the 05 WR450 -- and was generally a disappointment. KTM's have the lightest frames and they have avoided using aluminum. I have read that Honda had many problems with their introduction of aluminum frames and that Suzuki has been trying for years to avoid Honda's failures -- have also read of problems with aluminum YZ frames.

The computer will be a nice addition, but the best part about KTM's (speedometer/odometer/hour meter/trip computer) is the hour meter -- will the 06 WR have this? Word is that KTM will drop the computer in 2006 on the 2-stks; as well as lights and SA.

Elton

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted June 21, 2005 - 11:38 AM

I hear this every year.... Wah wah wah... :D I heard this about the 05s too, guess what?... It was the best year ever for the WR. Some of you cried and complained that you could build a better bike than Yamaha. Trust me the 06 and it's improvements over the 05, it will be better! When FI is cost effective and efficient enough for Yamaha they'll put it in. I guess the aluminum frame is how this 06 bike is judged, fine... It'll be there next year, that doesn't guarantee that it'll handle any better but some of you will feel like you'll be getting your money's worth. The price will go up too... But I'm sure you whine about that too....

Good enough for me...

:D :D :D :D

I'm glad that you're content with your WR, I do enjoy mine, don't get me wrong. But don't make excuses for Yamaha because what works for you should work for everyone. You've probably had your bike for awhile or you're on your second or third one. You know the bike inside and out. Fine. In stock form the WR sucks ass. You know it and I know it. The tires, the exhaust, the smog pump, (that was a great addition for '05 by the way :) ) the f'ing throttle stop, the air box crap, the brick of a seat, everything! The bike takes WAY more to get it to prime than the KTM 450 EXC or the Honda 450x. I'm sorry, but you have to admit I've got some valid points.

It's been now 5 years since I've had a WR 426 (and I do currently own a WR 450) and in that time the BEST Yamaha could do from that bike is give it E start and lose a couple pounds? Come on! I'm not asking for a bike made by NASA, but Yami could have done a little more for their enduros.

Ask a Gas Gas owner about how bad fuel injection sucks. Guess what, you won't hear that complaint, because FI doesn't suck. Good for you that you like to tinker with your jets for every condition or altitude. I don't, and I'd have to guess and say many others out there probably don't want to dick with their carbs all the time either.

On the aluminum frame, I said I could take it or leave it, definitely not a buying factor for me. I'd also add that I wouldn't object to an aluminum frame either. I've ridden CRF's and don't have any complaint of how those bikes ride. I can't say that I love the steel frame on my WR that is rusting and looks like ass. Especially a frame that pumps the oil through it. But that's just me. I remember in mountain bikes too when all the old codgers cried about the aluminum bikes replaced the steel ones. You don't see very many steel bikes left these days.

I'm not picking a fight with you or Yamaha. I'm not some knob from the Honda or KTM camps either. I bought the WR because I'm sold on Yamaha's motors. The five valve four stroke is what sold me. I've just got higher expectations for the rest of the bike from the company that I feel makes the best equipment in powersports. I just don't feel they are raising the bar high enough for their bikes. The competition is getting tougher every year. For the price to keep continuing to rise, the bike advancements and performance should ALSO rise.

I don't ever want to refer to my bike as "Good enough for me." :)

Peace out,

JB

• xr600r

Posted June 21, 2005 - 11:47 AM

Alot of the reason for the price increase is probably due to the ever rising cost of raw materials..steel is way up. yamaha wont cover the cost..the consumer will .

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 21, 2005 - 01:20 PM

:D :worthy: :D ;)

I'm glad that you're content with your WR, I do enjoy mine, don't get me wrong. But don't make excuses for Yamaha because what works for you should work for everyone. You've probably had your bike for awhile or you're on your second or third one. You know the bike inside and out. Fine. In stock form the WR sucks ass. You know it and I know it. The tires, the exhaust, the smog pump, (that was a great addition for '05 by the way :D ) the f'ing throttle stop, the air box crap, the brick of a seat, everything! The bike takes WAY more to get it to prime than the KTM 450 EXC or the Honda 450x. I'm sorry, but you have to admit I've got some valid points.

The simple mods that you're complaining about took me about 2 hours to do and had a fun time doing them... I will confess, my dealer cut the grey wire and throttle stop, even jetted it pretty closely. Yamaha has very strict emissions standards that they stick by in order to pass Government standards for noise and emissions. While putting in some jets might be rocket science to you it's actually quite simple.. And, every owner (regarless of brand) should know how to work on their bike... I'm not making excusses for Yamaha but at least I got a nice green sticker for off road thanks to their strict guidelines... If that means I'll have to richen the bike up when I get it home, it's worth it to me.

It's been now 5 years since I've had a WR 426 (and I do currently own a WR 450) and in that time the BEST Yamaha could do from that bike is give it E start and lose a couple pounds? Come on! I'm not asking for a bike made by NASA, but Yami could have done a little more for their enduros.

The 04 recieved a huge amount of fixes for the 03 model. The 05 WR450 is a new bike completly, lower compression, lower seat height, lower CG, new pipe,new bars, new forks, new tank and seat, new rear sprocket, green sicker, new front brake routing (FINALLY) I could go on and on how much the WR's have changed in just a few short years... NUMEROUS upgrades to the bike...... Did you say lose a couple pounds? It's lighter than new Aluminum Honda... :D And, with all the new improvements being done to the new bikes it's surprising that these bikes cost less than all the bikes in it's class... Nice...

Ask a Gas Gas owner about how bad fuel injection sucks. Guess what, you won't hear that complaint, because FI doesn't suck. Good for you that you like to tinker with your jets for every condition or altitude. I don't, and I'd have to guess and say many others out there probably don't want to dick with their carbs all the time either.

Who ever said that FI sucks?????? Not me amigo..... I believe I said when It's cost effective enough they'll do it... Let's not exagurate.. :) I don't jet and re-jet over and over again, you've got the wrong guy.... My father is taking my WR to Colorado in August for the Colorado 1000.. I will re-jet just a little to make sure he doesn't have any problems.. I only "dick" with my carburetor because it's fun for me.. I like testing things out. I've found the best combination of jets that work best for me and my riding conditions and post them for other members to help them..

On the aluminum frame, I said I could take it or leave it, definitely not a buying factor for me. I'd also add that I wouldn't object to an aluminum frame either. I've ridden CRF's and don't have any complaint of how those bikes ride. I can't say that I love the steel frame on my WR that is rusting and looks like ass. Especially a frame that pumps the oil through it. But that's just me. I remember in mountain bikes too when all the old codgers cried about the aluminum bikes replaced the steel ones. You don't see very many steel bikes left these days.

For me, I could take it or leave it also.. Yamaha has been doing some very interesting stuff with aluminum these days, lighter and stronger than before.. I believe that we'll see an aluminum framed WR450 for 07, I'll bet the bike will lose close to 10 pounds too.. Sadly, people will solely judge the 06 on it's frame.. Mark this post for the future... Test reports will say the bike's dated with its steel frame... Trust me....

I'm not picking a fight with you or Yamaha. I'm not some knob from the Honda or KTM camps either. I bought the WR because I'm sold on Yamaha's motors. The five valve four stroke is what sold me. I've just got higher expectations for the rest of the bike from the company that I feel makes the best equipment in powersports. I just don't feel they are raising the bar high enough for their bikes. The competition is getting tougher every year. For the price to keep continuing to rise, the bike advancements and performance should ALSO rise.

I don't ever want to refer to my bike as "Good enough for me." :D

Peace out,

JB

I like what you said "The competition is getting tougher every year".. I agree.. The 05 WR got more praise than ever from Dirtrider,Dirt Bike and especially Cycle World where they ranked it ahead of all the bikes in its class. Dirt Bike rated the bike second to the KTM... No bad Yamaha... :)
I personally believe that the 05 WR has the best suspension and best motor in its class.. You can count on the 06's being even better... It's just my opinion....

I think what bothers me the most is the Monday morning quarterbacks that think they could do a better job.. Yamaha should've done this or that... KTM did this and they should do that...

And lastly, when Stefan Everts can enter his first ISDE and win the overall on a stock WR450, the bike is surely "Good enough for you"... :D

• simch

Posted June 21, 2005 - 03:31 PM

The 06 should be available in Bob Hannah Yellow!!

I am tempted to keep the 04, and collect a set of YZ anniversary Yellow bodywork, ready for the ally framed 07 WR!!!

• rushfan

Posted June 21, 2005 - 07:29 PM

The simple mods that you're complaining about took me about 2 hours to do and had a fun time doing them... I will confess, my dealer cut the grey wire and throttle stop, even jetted it pretty closely. Yamaha has very strict emissions standards that they stick by in order to pass Government standards for noise and emissions. While putting in some jets might be rocket science to you it's actually quite simple.. And, every owner (regarless of brand) should know how to work on their bike... I'm not making excusses for Yamaha but at least I got a nice green sticker for off road thanks to their strict guidelines... If that means I'll have to richen the bike up when I get it home, it's worth it to me.

The 04 recieved a huge amount of fixes for the 03 model. The 05 WR450 is a new bike completly, lower compression, lower seat height, lower CG, new pipe,new bars, new forks, new tank and seat, new rear sprocket, green sicker, new front brake routing (FINALLY) I could go on and on how much the WR's have changed in just a few short years... NUMEROUS upgrades to the bike...... Did you say lose a couple pounds? It's lighter than new Aluminum Honda... :banana: And, with all the new improvements being done to the new bikes it's surprising that these bikes cost less than all the bikes in it's class... Nice...

Who ever said that FI sucks?????? Not me amigo..... I believe I said when It's cost effective enough they'll do it... Let's not exagurate.. :) I don't jet and re-jet over and over again, you've got the wrong guy.... My father is taking my WR to Colorado in August for the Colorado 1000.. I will re-jet just a little to make sure he doesn't have any problems.. I only "dick" with my carburetor because it's fun for me.. I like testing things out. I've found the best combination of jets that work best for me and my riding conditions and post them for other members to help them..

For me, I could take it or leave it also.. Yamaha has been doing some very interesting stuff with aluminum these days, lighter and stronger than before.. I believe that we'll see an aluminum framed WR450 for 07, I'll bet the bike will lose close to 10 pounds too.. Sadly, people will solely judge the 06 on it's frame.. Mark this post for the future... Test reports will say the bike's dated with its steel frame... Trust me....

I like what you said "The competition is getting tougher every year".. I agree.. The 05 WR got more praise than ever from Dirtrider,Dirt Bike and especially Cycle World where they ranked it ahead of all the bikes in its class. Dirt Bike rated the bike second to the KTM... No bad Yamaha... :)
I personally believe that the 05 WR has the best suspension and best motor in its class.. You can count on the 06's being even better... It's just my opinion....

I think what bothers me the most is the Monday morning quarterbacks that think they could do a better job.. Yamaha should've done this or that... KTM did this and they should do that...

And lastly, when Stefan Everts can enter his first ISDE and win the overall on a stock WR450, the bike is surely "Good enough for you"... :thumbsup:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
:D :D :D :D :D :worthy: :D ;) :D ;) :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.