Oil filter O ring

8 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted June 13, 2005 - 06:14 AM

I have oil leaking from the bottom area of the oil filter cover. :)
My question is can the O ring be changed without having to drain the oil? I just changed the oil. I was thinking about laying the bike on its side and then removing the filter cover, replace the O ring.
Has anyone done this before? From now on I will make it a point to change the O ring when changing the filter.

• TimBrp

Posted June 13, 2005 - 06:29 AM

You'll lose maybe about 1/3 cup of oil. Hell you can change the whole clutch pak with the bike on the kickstand. I'm sure you can do that too. The only oil that will spill out is what's in the filter cavity.

• Max Power

Posted June 13, 2005 - 06:33 AM

Try looking HERE

How bad is the leak? If it is just weeping, I would leave it until the next oil change.

• redmanrandyed

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I will lay the bike on its side and replace the o-ring. That should do it.
I was planning on replacing the o-ring at the time of oil change but the dealer was out of the part. I will have to order several of them to have on hand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlpskydive

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:51 AM

Every filter I have bought has come with an o-ring. STP, Fram, K&N all have them in the box.

• TimBrp

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:52 AM

jlp-While yes they come with one hardly is it ever fit for your bike. Typically they come with the ole' circle shaped one which doesn't fit a 650R. All the aftermarket brands use 1 filter across all the xr models. I just stock up on OEM ones at the beginning of the season and I'm good to go.

• captb

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Last time I changed the oil, I reused the seal and it appeared to be leaking so I used brake clean and dried the case good and it's fine, it was just all the oil around the case sweating out and draining down the case when it heated up. The previous oil changes I replaced the seal but washed the bike after the mess. The oring is probably a border line case for reusing, since there was nothing in my filter or downtube screen I am going to change the filter every other oil change from now on. I did that on my XR600Rs and L with no problems. (just my 2 cents)

• frankstr

Posted June 13, 2005 - 01:25 PM

I have yet to change the O ring while changing oil, But everything I'm reading I'm going to get a few before the next oil change....... :)

• TimBrp

Posted June 14, 2005 - 03:26 AM

I do it once per season frank, just to be safe. They swell up after removal. If you're in a jam and the oring swells chuck it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. It should reduce back.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.