2006 YZ450F 5 speed yellow or blue?

99 replies to this topic
  • yz_for_me

Posted June 13, 2005 - 09:51 PM

Bad Ass! I for one think the '06 looks awsome. Looks like someone at Yamaha has been lurking around TT for a while. 5 speed, aluminum frame, yellow plastic, adjustable bar mounts. Sounds like a TT'ers shopping list to me.

I'm glad Yamaha forged their own path and didn't just make another Honda frame like Suzuki and Kawasaki did. It definately has it's own look and still keeps the YZ bloodlines. :)

• yz_for_me

Posted June 14, 2005 - 10:30 AM

Looks like they got rid of the "hand holds" I use to lift the bike onto the stand, behind the airbox....hope the fender is stronger....

That sucks. Those hand holds are damn handy. Oh well, it can't all be good I guess.

• bedell99

Posted June 14, 2005 - 07:15 PM

Gonzo you are wrong about the weights. They are the same as 125 and 250's. Where did you get you info??

Erik

• mxmark

Posted June 14, 2005 - 08:56 PM

I should have the catalog tomorrow but I am going out of town. I hope they put the weight specs on it. I missed the 5 speed on my 2003 YZ450F, I like to shift. I might have to sell my 1981 YZ465H and to get this new bike. Thanks Mark

• Jeff_Ashe

Posted June 14, 2005 - 09:59 PM

All this lamenting over hand holds... I'll miss them too but there is a good reason for eliminating them (in their original form). The side openings create a turbulence in the airbox that produces intake drag at high velocities.
I have a picture of me at 7 years old making time with the neighbor's daughter. You can just make out the YAMAHA on my old Y80 in the background. God, I'm gonna miss my 04 250F!
Cut me and I bleed blue! 06 450 Big Thumper here I come! Git R Done!

• gonzo

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:41 AM

Your right Erik. Wasnt there a rule then about a 226 weight for the 4XX a couple of years ago? I thought it had something to do with Ferry's 426.

• bedell99

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:58 AM

It was discussed but never passed. Here is the 05 ama rulebook. Scroll to page 15.

https://home.ama-cyc...f/05mxrules.pdf

Erik

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 15, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Yellow or Blue?? I told my dealer I'll take the first one he gets!!! Yellow or blue doesn't matter to me, I just want to get the thing and ride!!

• Mike_socal

Posted June 15, 2005 - 02:22 PM

4 speed vs 5 speed

Look at it like this. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. I for one always have trouble getting my CR into 6th.

• ry0ken

Posted June 15, 2005 - 07:26 PM

just put my name down with my local yammie dealer for the first yellow and black 4-fiddie that ships in. i cant wait! :)

ps. my dealer told me that we could expect it more like Sept/Oct and not Oct/Nov :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scooter426

Posted June 15, 2005 - 08:23 PM

4 speed is lighter than a 5 speed (i prefer a 5 speed tho)

• crf450f

Posted June 16, 2005 - 08:46 AM

The weight may be destributed lower, so the bike on top may feel extreamly light, for a better turning experience. I am definatly buying one ASAP

• mxmark

Posted June 16, 2005 - 12:24 PM

The Yamaha broucher shows YZ450F 220lbs and YZ250F 206lbs. Also a new dry sump oil tank, incorporated into the engine cases. The oil may get hotter but there will still be more of it to use. There are some cool vintage pictures in the broucher. Thanks Mark

• rush66

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:09 PM

Anyone else think the 06' might make a good dez or woods bike?

Hopefully the 5 spd will make it a little more diverse

I think it would be great for the WORCS style races.

It looks to be a sweet bike it's everything and more I was looking for in the next YZF. The awesome rock solid motor in a light, good handling and well suspended chassis. What more could you want?

I know I want one.

• bluerider31

Posted June 16, 2005 - 04:54 PM

I think it will be a great woods bike. I am trading in the two stroke for the 450 this year. Can't wait to get it!

• ncmountainman

Posted June 17, 2005 - 06:05 AM

Anyone else think the 06' might make a good dez or woods bike?

Hopefully the 5 spd will make it a little more diverse

I think it would be great for the WORCS style races.

It looks to be a sweet bike it's everything and more I was looking for in the next YZF. The awesome rock solid motor in a light, good handling and well suspended chassis. What more could you want?

I know I want one.

if its anything like the older yz426 5spd it really doesn't have much difference in overall spread,mostly the gears are just closer together. and lets hope they didn't screw up a good thing with the motor changes. i for one would wait to see how they're gonna hold up :)

• Daz_426_02

Posted June 17, 2005 - 06:59 AM

dont think you need to wait to see how they hold up... give me one example of a model and year of a YZ that has had major problems? They dont exist, if they did they would be called Honda's :)

• ncmountainman

Posted June 17, 2005 - 07:20 AM

i believe there was an issue with the 1st yr 426's primary gear,i recall hearing of some problem that needed fixing on the 400's. but as with anything change is just that;change. sometimes good,sometimes not. only time will tell :)

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 17, 2005 - 07:41 AM

Wasn't there a problem with the clutch basket on the '99 400? Yamaha has fewer durability problems than most, though. How many YZFs do you see needing valve work at 20 hours?

• SM421

Posted June 17, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Just added my name to the waiting list at my local dealer. I am #1 for a Yellow 450. I swore I would never buy another yamaha as long as they kept painting the frames and putting decals directly on their gas tanks. Even though I was a YZ guy I was sick of owning bikes that looked like crap after a month. I switched to Honda and would have continued to buy CRF450's for ever more. Until now... I Can't wait to get my 06 YZ!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.