2006 YZ450F 5 speed yellow or blue?

99 replies to this topic
  • Thumpy79

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:05 AM

I was waiting to see what Yamaha came out with this year. They did not disapoint :) You can't beat the reliability of the engine, and now it appears to have all the other benefits of the CRF. We'll see how the reviews come in (not from the Magazines, but from us). Personally I like the change to the shrouds too, no more yellow grafix :)

• Reyndogg

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:26 AM

its all over but writing another check for me...wee!

I already have mods planned and everything :)

• WheelsUp

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:39 AM

It´s only the front and rear fender and the shrouds in yellow, so you can use aftermarket plastics and it would be cheaper than the 200 bucks. Finally you have a second pair, if you destroy it or you would some changes in you look.

Look again. Yamaha thinks a lot of their graphics.
The yellow plastics may be hard to find... last time I looked I could not get a YZ rear fender in yellow, and the shrouds are all-new. Ya, Acerbis will probably have them by the time the first bike hits the showroom.

The issue is the graphics. That's not the old Hurricane kit. Yamaha wants $90 for just the tank graphics for the '05 YZ. That does not include the shrouds... JUST the tank. I would expect these '06 shrouds to run well over $130.

It may be a while before FFX or N-Style clone these.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:09 PM

Personally, this is the trickest, most reliable thumper you can buy.....hands down. I like the looks and I like that fact that you can buy this bike and race it right out of the box. 756's (the 250 smoker has them so I assume the 450 will), rubber mounts on the top clamp, Pro Tapers, rumored 215lbs, 5 speed (I am sorry but we all missed the 426's 5 speed), aluminum frame that translates into a lower center of gravity...more important than the actual weight savings, titainium shock spring (another 3lbs of weight savings that lowers the center of gravity), remapped CDI for more hit! YES MORE HIT! :)

The "second generation" dual chamber forks are gonna be sweet...the 05 forks are nice and now they have refined them.

This bike is everything riders said they wanted in a Yamaha and then some

Amen Satch....I am putting a deposit on a yellow one.... :)

• Thumper38

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:09 PM

I have my deposit down already too, I got dibs on the first one that makes it to my dealer! I wonder if they will relase any early models? may be one per dealer!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:41 PM

This bike is just what the doctor ordered.. The bike is trick!! The 5 speed is real nice, not every guy only races motocross, it makes the bike more versatile. The Ti spring is a surprise, and a new motor.. Wow!! :)

• Reyndogg

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:49 PM

I wonder if the stock Ti shock spring will net any $$ on ebay when I list it heh

• Hick

Posted June 13, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I'm not diggin the 5 speed box. I really dont like it. I'm not a woods rider so maybe that's why. I guess I'll be yellow or green for 06.

?

Nobody is forcing you to use 5th gear bud.

Make the tranny suit your MX track by changing the final gearing.

Not sure what a 5 speed has to do w/ riding woods, but then I'm not a woods rider either so maybe that's why.

• DPW

Posted June 13, 2005 - 03:33 PM

I have my deposit down already too, I got dibs on the first one that makes it to my dealer! I wonder if they will relase any early models? may be one per dealer!

I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow...maybe

• RAMARION

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:18 PM

I'm not diggin the 5 speed box. I really dont like it. I'm not a woods rider so maybe that's why. I guess I'll be yellow or green for 06.

Gonzo

With a little gearing change, you'll have that four speed or shall I say, two speed feeling again............... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machoman_#618

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:22 PM

for sale 05 yz450

• DPW

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:24 PM

for sale 05 yz450

:) ...

• gonzo

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Gonzo

With a little gearing change, you'll have that four speed or shall I say, two speed feeling again............... :)

It's more like 1.5 on a 4-speed. I've always had trouble getting my 450's into 4th. Except for a very long sand straight-a-way or maybe just make a rough third gear double a little smoother or something. Rarely needed 4th, especially on the RMZ. I dont know if I could go to a 5-speed. The only 5-speed thumper I ever owned was my 250F.

• ThrakenH04

Posted June 13, 2005 - 05:28 PM

I kinda always wanted a 5-speed for my YZ450, now they finally got one for 06. Everytime i would really get high in speed, i could click into 4th then try to click a 5th gear then realise "hmm.... thats it, well that was cool." The 06 is a beauti, but I noticed the frame is semi-twin spar. It still has a back bone. which should make things very interesting with how they mounted the gas tank. I just hope with making the engine shorter and lighter, that they didn't screw up the reliability that these bikes pretty much built a foundation on.

• davepunc

Posted June 13, 2005 - 05:41 PM

That old school yellow is sweet - i want to get the One Industries kit to do that to my 04 YZ450F...

As for the new 06 model, i think it's ugly, tricked out, but ugly... I think i'll look at the 07 model and stick with the 04 for now, seeing as i only bought it a few days ago..

• ThrakenH04

Posted June 13, 2005 - 05:45 PM

That old school yellow is sweet - i want to get the One Industries kit to do that to my 04 YZ450F...

As for the new 06 model, i think it's ugly, tricked out, but ugly... I think i'll look at the 07 model and stick with the 04 for now, seeing as i only bought it a few days ago..

Ya to be honest, I think im still going to go with the Honda. IMO, they have a great design and even though they arent stone reliable, I'll still have my YZ450 ready to run for when Im not racing.

• racingktm1968

Posted June 13, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Yamaha has a very trick looking bike that is for sure! Might just have to go back to the Yamaha! I really like my KTM, but the retro yellow takes me back to the old days! I bet Honda wishes they went a little bigger than the BNG, and a valve fix!

• ScaredSilly

Posted June 13, 2005 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure how I'm going to get the wife (or my checkbook) to agree to a new '06 YZ and an '06 WR now that I just bought a Raptor. Hmmm, dilemas...

• RAMARION

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:26 PM

It's more like 1.5 on a 4-speed. I've always had trouble getting my 450's into 4th. Except for a very long sand straight-a-way or maybe just make a rough third gear double a little smoother or something. Rarely needed 4th, especially on the RMZ. I dont know if I could go to a 5-speed. The only 5-speed thumper I ever owned was my 250F.

Gonz, I was giving you the benefit of a doubt...........I would race my YZ in one gear for the whole track, on a couple tracks I might get into 3rd on the longer straights. I've re-geared my 05 crf 450 to my liking now where I can ride in two gears. With the stock gearing, I was constantly shifting 2nd thru 4th. Too much for the old man here, my YZ gearing made me lazy......
I'm hoping the 06 YZ will get near the minimum weight, if so, it should make this the bike #1, IMO..............

It sure is getting fun for John Q. Public with these new 450F............ :)

I've sent in my test rider resume to all the rags.............only for the 450's tho.. :)

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I dreamed the day would come... Yellow + Aluminum Frame + 5 Speed. If all is true I will be saving some money for Nov.! :) :)

I bleed yellow, how about you?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.