Rear Axle nut torque: 75 + and uumph enough?

5 replies to this topic
  • a_gunslinger

Posted June 12, 2005 - 04:27 PM

After chain adjustment I noticed manual says 94 torque. Surely they jest. I remember breaking a oil filter cover bolt last time I listended to the manual torque suggestion.

First off, I no have a torque wrench that size. Mine goes to 75. So I did 75 with an extra Ummph, probably 80. Is my tire gonna fly off in the air sometime :)

:)

• CRF250AWP

Posted June 12, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Did it take alot of stregnth to tighten it? I don't use a torque wrench that size. So I take an open end wrench and yank that thing down. I doubt your going to break you axel. And it's also a locking type nut. I think you should be fine.

• a_gunslinger

Posted June 12, 2005 - 05:10 PM

CRF250AWP, thanks for the reply. Took some strength. Was more concerned about it not being tight enough than so tight it would break. 94lbs seems hugge - and really did not want to buy another torque wrench :) 75-80 lbs will have to be enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Storm

Posted June 12, 2005 - 05:36 PM

It should be plenty.

• Dark

Posted June 12, 2005 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, I dont even use my torque wrentch for that because the only socket that I have that fits the axel bolt is a 1/2 drive, and my torque wrentch is 3/8. I just tighten that sucker down as tight as it can go. Its never loosed up on me yet, so youll be fine.

• El Marko

Posted June 12, 2005 - 06:15 PM

In 25+ years of racing, I've never used a torque wrench on an axle nut. I make sure it's tight, but don't try to demo how strong I really am. Never lost a wheel yet.

Torque specs are important for motors and suspension and some other areas, but an axle is simply supposed to be tight. Most of you can figure that one out on your own, no torque wrench needed.

Related Content

Wiki
Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com - last post by Fastheads (BK)

Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF 250R 2012 THE ULTIMATE TOUGH TEST by dirty897

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Crf250r lost compression by Hondalife378

• 16 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF250R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF250R 2015
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by Flarff
  • On October 04, 2014
Forums
Photo

2015 crf250 fork seal leak by cr250-04

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.