Grease your swingarms!

12 replies to this topic
  • trailriderjoe

Posted June 12, 2005 - 12:49 PM

I know we've all heard it before, but I'll say it from my own experience. 263 miles on an 05WR450 and the swingarm bearing looked pretty dry. Was able to save them all but the relay arm bearings were the worst. So dry that they were showing signs of heat on the bushing. Needles didn't even have enough grease to keep them in the cage when I pulled the bushing out. I don't know why the factory refuses to grease them sufficiently, but take it for what it's worth. GREASE YOU LINKAGE. :)

• rushfan

Posted June 12, 2005 - 01:49 PM

YOU ARE GOD...man :) :) :D
Good advise. I have 200 miles on my 05 and I'll do the as soon as I can. How long did it take to do it? Is it a pain to do? Please advise ol' knowledgable one.

• Gadsen

Posted June 12, 2005 - 03:25 PM

I know we've all heard it before, but I'll say it from my own experience. 263 miles on an 05WR450 and the swingarm bearing looked pretty dry. Was able to save them all but the relay arm bearings were the worst. So dry that they were showing signs of heat on the bushing. Needles didn't even have enough grease to keep them in the cage when I pulled the bushing out. I don't know why the factory refuses to grease them sufficiently, but take it for what it's worth. GREASE YOU LINKAGE. :)

Wow, I'm over due now! I have 253 miles on mine! I may do it tomorrow in fact.

• trailriderjoe

Posted June 12, 2005 - 05:30 PM

I wouldn't waste tim!

It was a joke to do;
Take the tire off, brake line clamps, lower shock bolt, connecting link bolt, and then the swing arm pivot.

Was out, cleaned, greased, and back in in just under 2 hrs. And that was in this lovely MI heat today.

Oh, check you axle bearings while the wheel is out :)

• xcracer123

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:24 PM

It's much easier to do now instead of when they sieze! Take the time and grease those puppies up! Not a bad job, just a little time consuming.

• freestyle250

Posted June 12, 2005 - 10:45 PM

What else have you guys run into that I would need to do, I got 360 miles on mine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted June 13, 2005 - 03:30 AM

What else have you guys run into that I would need to do, I got 360 miles on mine

same goes for the steering head bearings. The slide pins in the calipers are probably the most important things to grease, as the rubber seal/bushing isnt avaliable as a spare part :) Yep, you read it right, when the rubber wears out and perishes they expect you to buy a new caliper, or make a sleeve out of nylon like I did for my ol' 2 banger - it's rough, needs regular lubrication, but it works
Japanese moto goes 'save $1 grease each bike, sell million bikes, save million dollars!" Road bikes arent immune from this equation either. At 5000km's, my z1000 is also overdue :)

• rushfan

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:05 AM

Ok...I know this post is a while ago, but I found it. Through the advise of all of you guys, me and a friend did our swing arms this weekend ( both of us with about 200 mls on each bike ) and found no problem with there being not enough grease. All of the bearings were just fine. :) I was wondering if any of you guys use high pressure washers on your bikes. That can actually displace the grease and cause the problems that all of you have been having. Just a thought. :)

• rushfan

Posted June 27, 2005 - 03:17 PM

This would also include the steering head bearing.

• trailriderjoe

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:06 PM

No I don't use a pressure washer. I think they are voodoo when it comes to bikes. I've seen friends that use them, and the damage they are left with when they come cryin in the dead of winter with a bike that has a frozen steering head :)

I ride some pretty tough trails, and some muddy stuff to boot. The real abuse on my bearing is the fact that I could stand to lose 50 lbs!

• RCannon

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hamish, your exactly right about Yamaha not selling caliper parts. None of the rubber pieces are available.

However, Honda does. The honda CR parts are identical to what comes with our bikes . Most all years will work. I used 2001 pieces on my 98 yz.

• tp3dxf

Posted June 27, 2005 - 05:27 PM

My suspension shop recommended I use a good Marine axle grease. What is everyone else using on their swingarm and linkage bearings?

• Lowedog

Posted June 27, 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hey guys, read your manuals. Not sure about earlier years but the '03 and newer bikes come with polylube bearings that have solid lubrication in all the swing arm linkage. They are intended to be maintenance free. The only grease required would be at assembly, a little molybdenum should be applied to the oil seals and collars.

:) Lowedog

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.