WR450F for commuting?

30 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted June 21, 2005 - 06:39 AM

I ride my WR450 all over on pavement and the WR I had before that. Don't beat it up on the street and use the clutch and you'll be fine.

Your worried about an old wives tale.

• joshbeene

Posted June 21, 2005 - 02:32 PM

I used my 2002 WR426 to commute and go to school for a while. I had about 11,000 miles on it before I blew up the top end. The titanium valves are two piece valves that are welded together. After about 2 or 3 years you need to put new valves in them to prevent this from happening. It does not matter if you check them once a month, you still need to replace them! It cost me about $2,000 to fix it once it went. Now I ride my XR650R as my commuter, and have a WR450 for the dirt. That is the way to go!

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 21, 2005 - 04:54 PM

[quote name='Dirt_rebel']here's some pics on how i did the yz450f auto decomp cam mod on my 98 WR400F..u will need to reshim ur valve abt 0.1-0.2mm

That's awesome! what's the new start procedure with auto decomp, and is the new cam just a later model yamaha part, or an aftermarket product?

• REBELEX

Posted June 21, 2005 - 11:04 PM

~Joshbeene~ do you know if the steel valves (on the older 98/99's) will have the same problem as your titanium's did ??? the steel valves are more durable but in your case it makes me start to wonder :)

• Dirt_rebel

Posted June 22, 2005 - 12:36 AM

[quote name='CAVSCOUT96'][quote name='Dirt_rebel']here's some pics on how i did the yz450f auto decomp cam mod on my 98 WR400F..u will need to reshim ur valve abt 0.1-0.2mm

That's awesome! what's the new start procedure with auto decomp, and is the new cam just a later model yamaha part, or an aftermarket product?[/QUOTE]

hmmm.. :) new starting procedure? juz 1 kick n the beast fires rite up!! :D
the new cam is juz a later model yamaha part.. go get it!! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ukwoodgnome

Posted June 25, 2005 - 01:19 AM

I have an 02 WR426F and use it for a 14 mile round trip to work. About 2 miles of it is on dirt, the rest on Tarmac. Having said that, it's going in next week to have a gearbox rebuild! DONT let that put you off, as the WR is a great all-round bike, pretty reliable and parts are quite cheap. It has cost me much less in garage bills that my Ducati 996!

Paul

• rich-tenerife

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:13 PM

ukwoodgnome you "D" man .
Sounds like my mate john , sold his KTM 400 , for a Ducati 620 , sold that and now looking for another dirt bike.
Our Bikes and sport ROCK !
Dirt bikes around town & tarmac is nearly as good as off Road !
:D

• Vick115

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:20 AM

my 03 WR450 has about 1,500 miles on the street now and its been great. i have geared her up to a 15/44 setup so I can cruise at 55-60mph at very low rpm's. I run superbike synthetic oil (R4) 11 bucks a freaking quart! and change it about 10 rides or couple hundred miles.

• slotracer577

Posted August 13, 2005 - 01:28 PM

how often do you have to check the valves on a WR450F? I'm looking for a bike that I can commute 3 miles each way on sunny days and ride in the mountains of colorado on the weekends.

My choices are really between a WR450F and a KTM 625 SXC. I know that the sxc is more meant for that kind of duty, but I've always been a WR fan. I'm sure that the WR is a much better offroader too. I'm just afraid that I'm going to have to do a lot more maintenance on the WR since it's not meant to be a road machine as much.

I was also looking to find a hp rating on the 450 and couldn't. Does anyone know?

Anyone?

I own a 03 WR and it is street legal. If I was mostly going to road ride with some fire roads or open trails, the XR 650R is a better choice. The WR has a really anoying miss at part throttle that make road riding a pain. Undoing the TPS helps that issue. Also I would want slightly taller gearing for the street on the WR.
With that advise, the WR is a better trail bike than the XR. I would own both if I could. One for going to work and dirt road riding, the other for the trails.
My YZ 426 had 2 pikes peak hill climbs, 2 seasons of ice racing, several days at the road race track with no maint issues. I have also taken my WR to PPIR and it has had no transmission issues. I think a cush drive would be critical if you are running slicks or real road tires, but with knobs or DT tires the tire should give enough to let the tranny live.

John

• 59xfish

Posted August 13, 2005 - 02:31 PM

I always ride 10 miles to and from the dirt. Have a 04 WR450 with 1,500 miles and zero problems.
Such a solid bike!

• OzMatt

Posted August 16, 2005 - 03:29 AM

I ride it to work every day on my o4 wr450.
About 10k round trip. No problems.
Just change oil and check valve clearance every 3-4 months
I have a set of RGV 250 rims with sticky tyres that have a cush drive built in, so know gearbox issues.
I can swap over to my dirt rims in about 20-30 mins.
This way you can have 2 bikes for the price of one.
Highly recommended, an absolute hoot. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.