speedometer for dirtbike

12 replies to this topic
  • superjeffro

Posted June 11, 2005 - 10:01 PM

is there a speedometer i can get for my bike? somthing inexpensive, simple, and lightweight.

• Birdie426

Posted June 11, 2005 - 11:09 PM

Trailtech makes one...I haven't used them, but do a search here and you'll find that there are some reliability problems. Cost about 75 bucks. I put a CatEye Enduro-II on my WR. It's a heck of a lot cheaper (25 bucks), and so far seems to be holding up fine (200 miles on it). I did have to add some length to the wires, though...

• moto1020

Posted June 11, 2005 - 11:45 PM

trail tech working good for me also easy installation

• 02YZ426

Posted June 12, 2005 - 02:14 AM

I got the Trailtech, very accurate but the mount broke in less than 2 months, maybe just defective I dont know. I did use the Billet protector and my bike hasnt seen offroad so it should never have broke. They do have a good warrenty though. If you do get one, I would reccomend not taking it out of the quick release because thats the weak link.

• tammie

Posted June 16, 2005 - 11:39 AM

ive had 2 trail techs, both have screwed up.............

• 02YZ426

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:38 PM

ive had 2 trail techs, both have screwed up.............

What happened to them?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamadoggy

Posted June 16, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Go to the bicycle shop. Got one for ten dollars. So far, holding up really well. Doesn't get much cheaper. Easy to mount, Fairly accurate, Reliable.

• kbryant3399

Posted June 16, 2005 - 02:04 PM

do the MTN bike speedo's have a long enuf cable and how do you mount the magnet onto the wheel/rotor?

• mxaction

Posted June 16, 2005 - 03:12 PM

trail tech makes a good one...but on the '06 wr models yamaha introduced a computer that calculates all that good stuff a trail rider loves to know like speed, mileage, etc.

• Birdie426

Posted June 16, 2005 - 07:12 PM

do the MTN bike speedo's have a long enuf cable and how do you mount the magnet onto the wheel/rotor?

No, the cable isn't long enough out of the box. You have to splice in a section. Speaker wire works fine. Solder and heatr shrink the splices, don't rely on crimps.

The magnet depends on the type. My Cat-Eye actually mounted to the spokes the same way they do on a bicycle.

• TexN343

Posted June 16, 2005 - 07:55 PM

Anyone ever crash due to checking out your speed on those lil gadgets? lol I can imagine my lil brother saying " I was going 43.4 mph when I ran into that tree"

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2005 - 09:48 PM

I know cyclists that have.

The cool thing about the bicycle units is that you can program them for a wide variety of wheel sizes. You can make your bike go 100mph in 3rd gear if you program it right. :)

• kbryant3399

Posted June 16, 2005 - 10:03 PM

Anyone ever crash due to checking out your speed on those lil gadgets? lol I can imagine my lil brother saying " I was going 43.4 mph when I ran into that tree"

i race MTN bikes and am a number junky. I have to know how fast I am going, my heart rate and my RPMs on the cranks. I have been fortunate in that i never have to look at my speedo while wrecking. I usually go to the max speed part of it and see how stoopid fast i was going when i wrecked since i most often crash and burn on the fastest part of the ride or course. I've broken many of speedos on the pedal bike. Ill have to give it a try on the dirt bike though, and at like 15 bucks a pop, most everyone can afford to break a few.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.