'00 Xr 650r Aftermarket Gas Tank Need Advice

21 replies to this topic

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:10 PM

I Have A '00 Xr 650r. I Need Advice On Aftermarket Gas Tanks. I'm Interested In Either Ims 3.6 Gal Or Acerbis 6.0 Gal. I Use My Bike Primarily For Trail Or Riding Around The Neighborhood. Which Tank Has More Bang For The Buck? Looks Like The 6.0 Gal Requires The Radiator Scoops To Be Removed. Has Anybody Have Any Experience Or Thoughts On This? What About The Fitment And Convenience? Thanks!

• Desmo

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Id expand your horizons a bit.

Check the clark 4.3

I'm sure the IMS models are good too.

• Supplicate

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:59 PM

6.0 gallon tank for trail riding or around the neighborhood :)

I personally think that with that big of a tank, you wouldn't like it for trail riding.

I personally have a 4.6 gallon IMS and love it, it completely changed the way the BRP handled once put on though, 100% different feel in the corners.
And for the 4.6 to fit I had to slightly modify my right hand radiator scoop to fit over all the bulges in the tank :)

here is a pic of it on the bike:

Posted Image

notice how far down it goes on the left hand side. I'm hoping that doesn't go too far down for the exhuast I will hopefully be purchasing to fit.

What exactly do you mean by "Bang for the Buck" ?

• KeithBoyd

Posted June 12, 2005 - 12:32 AM

I use my BRP mostly,now the better weather is here, (maybe 4 hours in a row on a Sunday morning over the mountains)for road use with the occasional enduro and trail ride....with my Acerbis tank I can ride as far as I want to all day...the fitment is a straight take off and put on.....I think you need to think about what way you use the BRP and fit a tank accordingly.I know if I didn`t do as much road work then I`d have a different tank,eg,Clarke.If you think hard enough first you`ll make the correct choice that will do you for the rest of the time you have the bike.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• frankstr

Posted June 12, 2005 - 05:07 AM

I use my stock tank for local trail riding....... :)
But for the long spin I have a Clarke 4.3, fits great, Nice finish and matches the red to a T........... :)

• cdonowho

Posted June 12, 2005 - 05:45 AM

Another vote for the Clarke 4.3 :)

Posted June 12, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! I do need to broaden my horizons... Just don't have anybody to ride with down here in Houston. Currently trail riding around the backroads and bayou around our subdivision. I'll probably just need to keep my stock tank until something better comes up...

• BWB63

Posted June 12, 2005 - 08:29 AM

Most bang for your buck

Rocky Mountain Clarke 4.3 Tank Click Here: :)

Posted Image

Posted June 12, 2005 - 08:52 AM

i've tried both ims and clark and after my experence i will never buy an ims tank again. and if you don't mind the look of the natural tank it is nice being able to see your exact fuel level while riding. I'd go clarke if i where you

• Supplicate

Posted June 12, 2005 - 02:02 PM

i've tried both ims and clark and after my experence i will never buy an ims tank again.

If you don't mind me asking, why not ever buy another IMS tank again?

What exactly was wrong with it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Miker

Posted June 12, 2005 - 02:24 PM

If you don't mind me asking, why not ever buy another IMS tank again?

What exactly was wrong with it?

I wonder what he means as well. I have an IMS on my 525 as well as my 650r and they both fit perfectly with no negative issues what so ever.

• BWB63

Posted June 12, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Both tanks can have fit issues on the XR650R. The Clarke fits real close on the frame and pinch the small crossover tube on the top of the radiators. The IMS gives less room for the caburetor and getting to the carburetor is viewed as a pain by some.

The Clarke it is a good idea to put a screw driver in the small tube fittings and bend them twards the frame. That will stop the tank from hitting them and cutting the hose.

Rocky Mountain For the Clarke 4.3 Click Here: :)

Posted June 12, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I had an ims on my 426f and on my xr650r and found both to be a bad fit. rite out of the box my petcock wouldn't seal and i had to add cork. also found fuel caps didn't thread as easy as clarks but neither did my stock. don't mean to offend anyone this is only my experience with ims and i have only ever bought one clarke and liked it alot more. if anyone is interested there is one of those huge acerbis tanks on ebay rite now, and also a nice new yosh can. :)

• Supplicate

Posted June 12, 2005 - 03:28 PM

don't mean to offend anyone

Didn't offend me, thats why I asked. I've never experienced this with the several IMS tanks I have had. Might have to check out Clark next since it seems it comes with the most praise.

• Fingers

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:19 AM

I had the IMS tank (bought from Baja Designs) and last week it sprang a leak from the left lower radiator attachment point where the fastener is pressed into the tank. The thickness in that area was less than a credit card and it looks like a manufacturing defect. B. D. is going to replace the tank even though I've had it for more than the 120 day warranty period but I would go for a different tank if I was buying again. The stock tank is noticibly better in fit and finish quality but is at least a gallon smaller than what I need.

• Desertskyy

Posted June 14, 2005 - 07:57 PM

I have an IMS 4.6 gal tank and have had zero problems with it. There are a couple of 650R,s in my main ride group that also have the IMS 4.6 gal tank and they seem to doing fine. I am puzzled by some of the negative comments.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 14, 2005 - 09:07 PM

i have this big ass blackk tank on my xr650l....no clue what kind it is but i think its around 5 gallons...............i think its going to be for sale pretty soon because i am going to get the stock metal one painted black and put that one on.

• acb0173

Posted June 15, 2005 - 11:10 AM

I'm in the market for an aftermarket black tank for a 650L. Let me know how much you want for it.

• Serenity Now

Posted June 16, 2005 - 11:42 AM

I've got a like new Clarke in Honda Red for sale. PM me if interested. I'm gonna list it on eBay soon, but too lazy right now :)

I can post or send pics if interested.

• Serenity Now

Posted June 16, 2005 - 11:43 AM

it's for an XR650R in case I forgot to mention it. :)

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.