Anyone unhappy with the new yz450f bodywork???

96 replies to this topic
  • crf450f

Posted June 17, 2005 - 06:45 AM

What are you talking about? It is already slimmer than last year!!

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 17, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I really like the full coverage shrouds, no beat up gas tank that shows the bikes age when new plastic/graphics are installed. And full color changes are easy, 4 pieces of plastic for a whole new look. That and the al frame shouldn't show wear like the painted steel does. I just hope that the motor and handling are as dialed in as the looks/specs are. After all, a ti shock spring is a fancy paper weight if it's the wrong rate.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 17, 2005 - 08:42 AM

i think the 06 yz450 looks like shit altogether

intelligent conversation at it's finest....... :)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 17, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Agreed. I don't think anyone is disputing this and everyone would completely agree marketing strategies apply. Like I said a couple times, to remain competitive Yamaha had no choice but to use aluminum. I would say to a large extent they not only apply, but are the biggest driving force in the decision to use aluminum. This isn't to say the newer bikes with aluminum frames are not an improvement over their steel frame predecessors. They definately are. I think the only question under dispute is this: As a material for building motocross frames, does aluminum have an intrinsic quality that gives it a performance advantage not possible with steel? Some of us think yes and some of us think no.

I do not understand why some of you have an issue about the Alum frame.....(just hijacking your thread, YZ_for_me, not implying you do) It is state of the art...the steel frames are from the dinasaur age...come on get real and wake up folks, you sound like a bunch of whiners. Steel frames also break and crack as I know many 426/250.450 yam with cracked and broken frame welds as well as broken frame carriages. What is the beef on alum frames? Is it really resistance to change maybe :) This seems to me to be the most logical answer....There is a reason street bikes went to alum and there is a reason dirt bikes have gone to alum and it is not a marketing deal, it is a technology deal....otherwise Yamaha would have copied Honda, Suzuki and Kawi's style frame :)

now bash away! :D

• spinyard

Posted June 17, 2005 - 09:28 AM

ga426owner i could not have said it better! And this first year bs, give me a break this is a race machine you guyz don't think they test this stuff for 1 million hours before your dumb *ss gets to ride it?

• Yamaha35

Posted June 17, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Couple things not mentioned is the titanium rear spring and gas tank. The tank appears to be black? Honda owners have been complaining about this for years! I like that black can go with more color combos than blue can but black is just plain difficult to see when putting in gas.

The titanium rear spring is good for only those riders who fit the stock weight requirements. If someone is small/larger than that spring needs to be changed. So for 95% of most riders will most likely get a normal spring vs spending 3-4 bills on a new titanium one. So the TI spring isn't all that good.

Don't remember what mag it was but they tested Heath Voss's 450 and his 450 was not top heavy or slow in the corners. So the AF was not needed for that. Yamaha tilted the engine forward and lowered the radiators which eliminated the YZF top heavy feel.

I also recall MXAction weighing both the steel and AF's. The AF was 4lbs lighter. SOmeone mentioned that weight savings was neglible. DOesn't appear so when it comes to the YZ AF's over steel.

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 17, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Y35, look 4 posts before your last, I think you are right on the $ about the ti spring thing. And I agree with you that a steel frame can handle just as good. But the al frame will sell bikes, and thats what its all about. Has anyone heard if the weight # in the Yamaha specs is correct? I wonder if the 5th gear offset the weight savings of the frame. Or maybe the scale used is a bit more honest than the scale used in the past.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 17, 2005 - 02:10 PM

Couple things not mentioned is the titanium rear spring and gas tank. The tank appears to be black? Honda owners have been complaining about this for years! I like that black can go with more color combos than blue can but black is just plain difficult to see when putting in gas.

The titanium rear spring is good for only those riders who fit the stock weight requirements. If someone is small/larger than that spring needs to be changed. So for 95% of most riders will most likely get a normal spring vs spending 3-4 bills on a new titanium one. So the TI spring isn't all that good.

Don't remember what mag it was but they tested Heath Voss's 450 and his 450 was not top heavy or slow in the corners. So the AF was not needed for that. Yamaha tilted the engine forward and lowered the radiators which eliminated the YZF top heavy feel.

I also recall MXAction weighing both the steel and AF's. The AF was 4lbs lighter. SOmeone mentioned that weight savings was neglible. DOesn't appear so when it comes to the YZ AF's over steel.

it will be very easy to sell a New Ti spring that is not right for your weight....for 250-300 bucks...not a big deal. But it would be nice if you could order the bike with the correct rate springs huh????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted June 17, 2005 - 04:07 PM

I wonder how much of the design deals with state of the art. Yamaha is a company interested in profit. Could the aluminum lead to lower production costs? Less labor?

• RADRick

Posted June 17, 2005 - 08:45 PM

I really like the full coverage shrouds, no beat up gas tank that shows the bikes age when new plastic/graphics are installed.

I don't know about you, but every tank graphic set I've ever bought came with new tank panels.

That and the al frame shouldn't show wear like the painted steel does.

One of the things my nephew hates about his '05 YZ250 is what the aluminum frame does to his Tech 10s. Rubbing on aluminum causes his white boots to turn black and the aluminum looks like crap where the boots rub. It's the same reason I hate the Works Connection aluminum frame guards; they do the same thing.

I just hope that the motor and handling are as dialed in as the looks/specs are. After all, a ti shock spring is a fancy paper weight if it's the wrong rate.

As they have done for years, the bikes will likely come setup for a 150lb. rider. With the switch to a Ti rear spring, they should offer buyers the option of a Ti spring that matches their weight at no extra cost. The dealer can resell any takeoff springs and not lose any money or send them back to Yamaha for a credit.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 17, 2005 - 08:45 PM

I do not understand why some of you have an issue about the Alum frame.....(just hijacking your thread, YZ_for_me, not implying you do) It is state of the art...the steel frames are from the dinasaur age...come on get real and wake up folks, you sound like a bunch of whiners. Steel frames also break and crack as I know many 426/250.450 yam with cracked and broken frame welds as well as broken frame carriages. What is the beef on alum frames? Is it really resistance to change maybe :) This seems to me to be the most logical answer....There is a reason street bikes went to alum and there is a reason dirt bikes have gone to alum and it is not a marketing deal, it is a technology deal....otherwise Yamaha would have copied Honda, Suzuki and Kawi's style frame :D

now bash away! :D

Hey, its all good. I'm not hatin on the aluminum frame and I don't blame any one for liking the change. If you look back through my posts I said I think it's awsome. I just don't share the opinion that the aluminum frame offers a significant performance advantage. Just because I don't see a technical advantage to AL doesn't mean I don't like it or want one. I'm lusting after that new 450. :D

I even freely admit the current crop of aluminum YZ frames are better than any YZ before them. But I also think you could make a steel frame just as good. Thats the crux of my argument. The '05 Suzuki RM250 is a good case in point. It handles awsome, carves like a ginsu (sp) knife, nobody complains about it being top heavy, wins all the shootouts (for whatever thats worth), is within 1 lb of the YZ250 (1 lb lighter than a CR250) and it has a steel frame. :) Where's the big advantage? How much better could it be with more development? Who knows?

If there is an advantage it may be in the future potential of the technology. I'll give you that possibility, but at the current state of things I don't see it. Are the steel frames outdated? Sure they are, no argument there. But in my opinion they are outdated because they don't sell, not because they don't perform.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers out there. I'm not trying to bash Yamaha's new bikes. Nor am I bashing anyone for their opinions. I'm just trying to have a discussion about the pros and cons of steel and aluminum from a design standpoint. It's pretty much worthless, theoretical pie in the sky kind of stuff, but I'm an engineer, so I get a charge out of geeky stuff like that. That's all.

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 18, 2005 - 10:59 AM

Well I guess everything sucks if you look hard enough.

• NAFLASH

Posted June 18, 2005 - 11:36 AM

Well I guess everything sucks if you look hard enough.

hahaha that is so dam true :)

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 18, 2005 - 12:56 PM

Holy crap thats enough :)
STOP POSTING :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2005 - 04:26 PM

Holy crap thats enough :)
STOP POSTING :D

The Kod has spoken
:) :D :D :D

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 18, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 18, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.