Anyone unhappy with the new yz450f bodywork???

96 replies to this topic
  • Satch0922

Posted June 14, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Whining about bikes is how I make my living. :) Do you just sit back and accept whatever the factory tries to sell you? Don't you want to buy what you like? What's wrong with expressing an opinion about what you like and don't like? Don't you think the factories listen to rider feedback? I will keep the bike I have, but if the new YZF had pleased me I might have considered trading up. Don't you think Yamaha, or any manufacturer, would be concerned about that? I know they would.

Hmmm a few pictures on the internet and the man has written them off. Wise.....

• Jetsprint2

Posted June 14, 2005 - 06:26 AM

No doubt, the man has not seen one in person let alone ride one and all he can do is bash it. Yah the price is higher but so is gas and the cost of living. Yah it looks different but so does a 20yr old pickup compared to a late model truck. Before one can really make an opinion on the bike it needs to be tested first. Give it time then bash it but I honestly doubt that will be the case. My .02.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted June 14, 2005 - 06:52 AM

cmon guys give him a break he's a closet honda rider. :)

• RADRick

Posted June 14, 2005 - 10:27 AM

seriously &%$#@! is wrong some of the people on this forum? I mean for the most part everyone here had good things to say and had good comments but some of you just want to sit back and down talk it like Yamaha getting the new frames isnt a big deal, im not trying to be mean but cmon this event has been anticipated for more then 5 years. no bike is perfect, look at it this way, atleast its not like a zook or a kawi and just a spitting image of a honda. the bike kicks ass i love it. ok im done

Excuse me! :) When did they pass a rule saying everybody has to like the same thing? As far as I'm concerned, the aluminum frame isn't a big deal to me. It obviously isn't making that big a difference in weight reduction. The only reason Yamaha felt the need to switch was to keep up with Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. It has more to do with marketing than performance. Looks are very important to a lot of people. Christ, look at MX gear alone and you'll see it's ALL about looks. Why should I have to settle for a butt-ugly bike that runs great? Is it wrong to want both good looks AND performance for my hard-earned money? The Edsel was one of the most advanced cars of its time, but it was a sales disaster because buyers thought it looked like crap. I'm sorry that there's so many people in here who can't take a little constructive criticism. :)

• RADRick

Posted June 14, 2005 - 10:35 AM

Well, not being one of those show-off types that has to have the latest, greatest thing to impress my friends, why would I buy a bike I don't like the looks of? I'm not a pro racer that needs the up-to-the-minute technology in order to win, and the bike I have suits me fine. If I liked the looks I might have considered trading up to get the new improvements, but for me and my type of riding it just isn't that important. I wasn't telling anyone not to buy the bike, I simply expressed my opinion about its looks. Isn't that what we do here on TT? Exchange ideas and opinions about our sport? I didn't get the memo that says we should all like the same things. :)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 14, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Same here. The 03-05 models look great. The lower line of the seat continues on through the rad shrouds, the tank line follows the frame and it all looks a lot cleaner. The 06 has no continuity and looks cobbled together like a prototype. Change for the sake of change. :)

Rick you are right. You are entitled to your opinion and that is one reason that TT is here. But to quote you " Change for the sake of change" doesn't hold any water in my opinion. Yamaha needed to revise the steel frames and motors because they simply are now are a dated design. Not just in simple terms but more precisely in technical terms...The current form factor or bike has many flaws that the competition has surpassed all the way around. It shows on most every track....
And most importantly, Yamaha's ain't been selling like they used to...I know dealers that have lost money on blue 450s and 250s just to get them out of the door - and that refused taking in new models of the same basic design. Honda has surpassed in the 450 sales in all cases.
Personally I don't care if you do not like it. I have a 03 that I loved until other better performing bikes came out..that turn better, are better suspended etc.......Yep Yam has proven reliability and that is important. But in the case of the 06 Yami, the blue folks have redone almost the entire bike. I applaud Yami for doing it and if they had not, I would be buying another brand 450 this year.

my 2 cents :)

• bedell99

Posted June 14, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Radrick you answered your own opinion:

"The only reason Yamaha felt the need to switch was to keep up with Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. It has more to do with marketing than performance.

If you can't beat them, join them. Marketing sells and makes money and yamaha has made squat off there 450 for the past couple of years. Sometimes change is good and this case if yamaha didn't release an aluminum frame they would of been written off for another year while there competiors reaped the benefits.

Erik

• machoman_#618

Posted June 14, 2005 - 08:01 PM

all I got to say is them sun a beaches.................I will own two bikes again!!!!!!But I will buy the 06 yellow 250f. Don't tell my wife............I'll just explain my 05 450 farted and out came a 06 250f

• Satch0922

Posted June 15, 2005 - 06:20 AM

Well, not being one of those show-off types that has to have the latest, greatest thing to impress my friends, why would I buy a bike I don't like the looks of?

That makes little sense...not a show off...but worried about how the bike looks rather than performs......hmmmmm I don't get it.

Anyway...good thing your not a show off....otherwise you would not have pictures of tricked out choppers and near naked women on your website! LMAO!!!!!

:)

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 15, 2005 - 10:50 AM

Dont get me wrong I love the al. frame but that bodywork looks horrible. I would say its the uglyist yet probly the meanist mx bike coming for 06.
-My favorite looking bikes are the Kawasaki and the Suzuki.
But looks are only extra its whats inside that counts right :)

Sacrilege burn the witch burn the witch :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper38

Posted June 15, 2005 - 10:59 AM

I love everything about the 06, the only thing that I do not like is they will not be here til Nov.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 15, 2005 - 12:13 PM

I just put a deposit down for the first 06 450 my dealer gets, thats how dissapointed I am with Yamaha and the new bodywork. And I just joined TT cause my 06 will be my first 4 stroke. I agree that the big bummer is waiting til November for my new bike. Just gotta ride that old beater 2 stroke for one more summer.

Anyone else notice that most people who are badmouthing the 06 own an 04-05?

• ThrakenH04

Posted June 15, 2005 - 12:36 PM

I just put a deposit down for the first 06 450 my dealer gets, thats how dissapointed I am with Yamaha and the new bodywork. And I just joined TT cause my 06 will be my first 4 stroke. I agree that the big bummer is waiting til November for my new bike. Just gotta ride that old beater 2 stroke for one more summer.

Anyone else notice that most people who are badmouthing the 06 own an 04-05?

Hey i noticed that too. I love the new 06, I would just perfer to wait for 07 so i can see if all of yamaha's work payed off on the new design and if their are any flaws. The new 06 is practically a brand new YZF and in that case, I dont buy first year bikes. It sure is purdy though.

• old-n-sloow

Posted June 15, 2005 - 12:48 PM

The first year thing is big, but being a Yamaha I think it should be OK. I sure hope so, anyway. If we were talking a Kaw, Suz, or KTM I never would buy first year, but YZFs have been pretty good for durability. The problems that others have had are why I'm still mixing gas, but the pix of the 06s put me over the edge. That, and the rep of the first 400s for lasting, and the 5 speed, and the AL frame, and the new forks.....

And if I had an 04-05 I'd never be getting an 06, but with an 02 in the garage its time for a new scooter anyways!!

• Ga426owner

Posted June 15, 2005 - 03:13 PM

The first year thing is big, but being a Yamaha I think it should be OK. I sure hope so, anyway. If we were talking a Kaw, Suz, or KTM I never would buy first year, but YZFs have been pretty good for durability. The problems that others have had are why I'm still mixing gas, but the pix of the 06s put me over the edge. That, and the rep of the first 400s for lasting, and the 5 speed, and the AL frame, and the new forks.....

And if I had an 04-05 I'd never be getting an 06, but with an 02 in the garage its time for a new scooter anyways!!

I bought the 03 - it was the first year 450....I have not regretted it, since I would rather have my Ti Enzo Suspended - modded motor and all the goodies that the 04 and 05 owners will have to do to theirs to make them even close to mine.... :) And guess what - I ain't selling it...... :D

That is why I am first in line for the 06....and never considered a 04 or 05 - it is basically the same damn bike! :D And some would argue "in some ways less (power) but with refinements". Had it have been the same as the 05 - I would be on a 06 Honda or Suzuki :)

• Slymax

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:35 PM

I held on to my 03 450 anticipating this. Sold the 03 2 days before the official release so now I'll borrow one of my kid's bikes till the first 450 comes in. Wow, this is looking like the best 450 yet. If both colours are available I will pick then. If they are still crappy OE graphics on the yellow I don't know if I want to part with an extra $200. Will see if Yamaha has one on display at their dealer show next weekend.

• copsey

Posted June 15, 2005 - 04:53 PM

I held on to my 03 450 anticipating this. Sold the 03 2 days before the official release so now I'll borrow one of my kid's bikes till the first 450 comes in. Wow, this is looking like the best 450 yet. If both colours are available I will pick then. If they are still crappy OE graphics on the yellow I don't know if I want to part with an extra $200. Will see if Yamaha has one on display at their dealer show next weekend.

Is that the Canadian dealer show? The US show was this past weekend.

• machoman_#618

Posted June 15, 2005 - 05:12 PM

I got an 05 450f it is sweet.............I will keep it for woods only. Im #1 on the list for a 06 250f. I got my 450 setup to well for woods and you guys know what the woods will do to a bike. So the 250f will be only for mx. The only thing bad about my 450 is it.........................needs a new rear tire! I'm mainly buying the 06 for the 50th year and the exteme yellow and black graphics ...not to mention the frame and weight difference that I will notice from the two different bikes. Just think how fast or less tired i will be comming out of the woods onto mx track 06 250f.Don't get us 05 owners wrong..................we are just pumped like the rest of you yamaha fans

• yz_for_me

Posted June 15, 2005 - 09:10 PM

Radrick you answered your own opinion:

"The only reason Yamaha felt the need to switch was to keep up with Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. It has more to do with marketing than performance.

If you can't beat them, join them. Marketing sells and makes money and yamaha has made squat off there 450 for the past couple of years. Sometimes change is good and this case if yamaha didn't release an aluminum frame they would of been written off for another year while there competiors reaped the benefits.

Erik

I agree. You hit the nail on the head. The aluminum frame is only a necessity from a marketing standpoint. I've personally never felt the aluminum frame has any real advantage over steel. There is no doubt the whole YZF (not just the frame) needed to be updated, but it could have easily and probably more cheaply been done with a steel frame.

Sure there are some minor advantages to aluminum like the paint doesn't wear off or it doesn't rust, but in this application (motocross bikes) aluminum doesn't offer any real performance benefit. People think it's lighter, but in reality, aluminum frames weigh just about the same as steel frames. Want proof? Check it out, the aluminum Honda's have never had any big weight advantage over any of their steel framed competion. Look at the weight of the '06 YZF compared to the '05. There's no difference. It's true look it up.

Why do you think it took 8 years for any other major manufacturer to developer an aluminum frame? Does anyone actually think it took all the other manufacturers 8 years to catch up to Honda? Any of the major manufacturers certainly had the capability to developer one any time they wanted. It's not rocket science. Last August or so, Dirt Rider had a big article detailing the development of Yamaha's 2 stroke aluminum frame. According to this article, Yamaha engineers fought to keep steel frames because they could see no real benefits to aluminum. As a mechanical engineer myself, I can see why they would think that. Compared to steel, aluminum is expensive and much harder to design for and manufacture. You have to have a good reason to pick aluminum over steel as a material. Don't get me wrong, there are times when aluminum is the best choice. I just don't think motocross bike frames are it.

The market is the real driving force behind Yamaha switching to aluminum. The perception is that aluminum is better so Yamaha didn't really have a choice. The fickle consumer sees aluminum as "sexier" and more "cutting edge" and those are very real attributes when you're building bikes to sell. After all, the only competion that really matters is in the showroom.

Do I like the look of the '06 models? Hell yea! I think they look awsome. The aluminum frame looks sweet. It's a work of art and as an engineer I think I have an extra appreciation of how cool it really is. But do I think it is any real advantage? No. It's a sales tool.

Sorry. I just read through my post and realized I got a bit carried away. I just get tired of seeing people say "oh the aluminum frame is so much better". For the most part, as you can see, I think that's a bunch of bull. [/RANT]

• RADRick

Posted June 15, 2005 - 09:47 PM

Sure there are some minor advantages to aluminum like the paint doesn't wear off or it doesn't rust, but in this application (motocross bikes) aluminum doesn't offer any real performance benefit.

Well, another advantage is in cost. Aluminum doesn't need to be painted and can go right from the welder to the assembly line. One of the biggest cost savings on full-fairinged street bikes is the engine and frame don't need to be highly detailed or painted, in most cases.

People think it's lighter, but in reality, aluminum frames weigh just about the same as steel frames. Want proof? Check it out, the aluminum Honda's have never had any big weight advantage over any of their steel framed competion. Look at the weight of the '06 YZF compared to the '05. There's no difference. It's true look it up.

You're right! In fact, if there weren't other weight-saving measures taken on the '06 models they would have come out nearer the same. For instance, notice all the aluminum-framed models have smaller brake rotors.

Why do you think it took 8 years for any other major manufacturer to developer an aluminum frame? Does anyone actually think it took all the other manufacturers 8 years to catch up to Honda? Any of the major manufacturers certainly had the capability to developer one any time they wanted. It's not rocket science.

It had more to do with developing a frame that could be manufactured cheaply. The new Yamaha frames use pieces that are hydroformed (high pressure water used to form the metal in a mold) and the process is one that requires a retooled facility. It takes awhile to set something like that up to be efficient and cost-effective in a production environment.

The market is the real driving force behind Yamaha switching to aluminum. The perception is that aluminum is better so Yamaha didn't really have a choice. The fickle consumer sees aluminum as "sexier" and more "cutting edge" and those are very real attributes when you're building bikes to sell. After all, the only competion that really matters is in the showroom.

Or when you need a psychological, albeit suspect, edge on the starting line. What I find interesting is that the YZ two-strokes use a completely different aluminum frame as the new YZFs. Could this be a sign that Yamaha won't be putting any more R&D into the 2-strokes? Maybe they plan on dropping them in a couple of years? They might switch them to something more like the YZFs, but I think it speaks volumes that the YZ and YZF frames have almost nothing in common. Hmmm...

Do I like the look of the '06 models? Hell yea! I think they look awsome. The aluminum frame looks sweet. It's a work of art and as an engineer I think I have an extra appreciation of how cool it really is. But do I think it is any real advantage? No. It's a sales tool.

I'll keep my steel-framed WR450 for now. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.