Anyone unhappy with the new yz450f bodywork???

96 replies to this topic
  • YamahaX25

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:01 AM

Yamaha definatley did an awesome job on the 06 bikes from what you can read. Like satch said, they fixed everything everyone was complaining (4 spd tranny, ignition, etc) about on top of making the bike look even tricker. Can't wait to throw my leg over one.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:05 AM

The wings are big because they reach from over the spars to the bottom of the lowered radiators. Other than redoing the curve along their lower edge, how else would you do it?

What I think is interesting is this: It's still a dry sump engine, but there's no external tank. At least, that's what I see. If you look at the detail of the engine, you see what looks like a dipstick in front of the cylinder, above the front mount bolt. Note that the front of the engine visible between the cradle tubes is much bulkier than the current one. That's the oil tank, built into the engine, way down low. What is it they say....? "Brilliant!"

Oh yeah, and a 5 speed, too! :) :)

Here's a great pic of the oil tank on the 250, dunno if the 450 is the same.
http://www.transworl...1071317,00.html

• riderman329

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:28 AM

it look's like a great looking bike, yamaha has done there homework, and made a good bike!!!

to bad it's not coming out untill nov, and it also $6,899

only if yamaha offered up better contingencies for amature racer!

because of that it look's like i might be riding a rmz450 next year

• njdent

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:52 AM

I am a honda guy. If it is so ugly don't buy it! I will though! 5 speed Titanium spring, new bodywork hell I want a yellow one! Honda will be BNG most likely.

PS The kawi looks sweet man

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:55 AM

I'm glad they changed it up, no matter what it looks like. I like fresh looks.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted June 13, 2005 - 11:55 AM

the kawi does look pretty cool.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:04 PM

now all i need to do is ride a 450 and see if i like it or not..

cuz i eather going 06 yz250f (yellow) or yz 450f ( yellow)

cuz right now im on a 04 yz 250f and i like the bike but it some spots im beggin for more power on some hills and going up for this triple at my local track..

i mean i do weight 205 and at 6'2.. idk...

but man do they look good.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 13, 2005 - 12:06 PM

I want one I want one I want one.......in Yellow please!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Here's a great pic of the oil tank on the 250, dunno if the 450 is the same.
http://www.transworl...1071317,00.html

Same idea, except in the case of the 450, they've redesigned and updated the crankcases to integrate the oil tank into the front of the engine. It's probably the future of the YZ250F as well, unless they're going to do something entirely different. (but why would they, when they have an engine that works that well?)

450 Engine Detail

• phat_450f

Posted June 13, 2005 - 01:50 PM

I agree that yellow and black is really nice looking

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RADRick

Posted June 13, 2005 - 02:30 PM

After looking at the 06. It makes me like my 05 a whole lot more. Don't really care for the plastic. Also, the holes to the air box are smaller, possibly restricting air flow. The 5 speed might be nice, but I don't have a problem with my 4 speed. And unless theres a significant loss in weight due to the new frame, I'll hang on to mine a while longer. Thats just my feelings..............

Same here. The 03-05 models look great. The lower line of the seat continues on through the rad shrouds, the tank line follows the frame and it all looks a lot cleaner. The 06 has no continuity and looks cobbled together like a prototype. Change for the sake of change. :)

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:19 PM

Same idea, except in the case of the 450, they've redesigned and updated the crankcases to integrate the oil tank into the front of the engine. It's probably the future of the YZ250F as well, unless they're going to do something entirely different. (but why would they, when they have an engine that works that well?)

450 Engine Detail

I saw the 450 having the gappage (for lack of better words), I see the bosses for the oil tank and I also see the lack of the glide plate so it really has me wondering if they both dont actually have an oil tank sitting there. It wouldnt be the first time they have released incorrect photos, and it wouldnt be the first time they used the same castings for a different application either.

scratch that. I just read the quote on the 250 section.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Certain parts of the spec sheet haven't been edited yet, either. "4 speed" and "220 pounds" spring to mind as examples. :)

• Satch0922

Posted June 13, 2005 - 05:11 PM

Same here. The 03-05 models look great. The lower line of the seat continues on through the rad shrouds, the tank line follows the frame and it all looks a lot cleaner. The 06 has no continuity and looks cobbled together like a prototype. Change for the sake of change. :)

unbelievable...that is all I can say. Let's whine about plastic instead of celebrating a lighter, better handling, faster bike.

My recommendation? Keep the bike you have..

• RADRick

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:05 PM

unbelievable...that is all I can say. Let's whine about plastic instead of celebrating a lighter, better handling, faster bike.

My recommendation? Keep the bike you have..

Whining about bikes is how I make my living. :) Do you just sit back and accept whatever the factory tries to sell you? Don't you want to buy what you like? What's wrong with expressing an opinion about what you like and don't like? Don't you think the factories listen to rider feedback? I will keep the bike I have, but if the new YZF had pleased me I might have considered trading up. Don't you think Yamaha, or any manufacturer, would be concerned about that? I know they would.

• Slowmotion426

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:06 PM

I think they're purty.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Whining about bikes is how I make my living.

All those technical advances and you're pissing about what it looks like.

"Always with the negative waves, Moriarity..."

If it works better I don't care how it looks.

Hey, did anyone notice that the handle bar mounts are no longer cast into the top clamp?

• revolucien

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hey, did anyone notice that the handle bar mounts are no longer cast into the top clamp?

:)
Someone's always gotta be the oddball.

Yeah, they said the clamps are adjustable with protaper bars :)

• NAFLASH

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:21 PM

seriously &%$#@! is wrong some of the people on this forum? I mean for the most part everyone here had good things to say and had good comments but some of you just want to sit back and down talk it like Yamaha getting the new frames isnt a big deal, im not trying to be mean but cmon this event has been anticipated for more then 5 years. no bike is perfect, look at it this way, atleast its not like a zook or a kawi and just a spitting image of a honda. the bike kicks ass i love it. ok im done

• Satch0922

Posted June 14, 2005 - 04:19 AM

:) :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.