XR650L Battery Box warning !!

1 reply to this topic
  • vector6

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:44 AM

yesterday about 40 miles from home over very rocky West Virginia terrain, my rear mount for the battery box on my 650L decided to let loose.. :D the mount had broken off the frame section.
I had a full roll of electrical tape in the toolbag, and wrapped the whole roll around the batt box up over the fender and around and off towards the house i went.. this lasted about 10 miles..

fearing losing the front mount as the box was flapping like a feather in a hurricane while riding the rocky terrain, i stopped again and cut the web belt from my O'neil Hardware pants and tied the rear batt box mount to the helmet hook and proceded towards the house.. :)

it made it home .. after pressurewashing the bike i removed the seat, rear fender, both rear turnsignals, and fired up the mig gun.. :)

its back on, primed, painted and better than new.

so... everyone who uses there L for any rough off road adventures have a look at the welds on the rear mount of your batt box.. :D

I dread to think about the 40 mile walk out of no where if both mounts would have let loose..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zodran

Posted June 11, 2005 - 09:18 PM

I shook mine apart a few years ago coming down corkscrew around ouray. Mine had broken completely loose and was hanging by the wire loom, luckily it was the last day we were there anyway. The tire or chain had ground a hole thru the case and into the battery a bit.
New battery, a sheetmetal brake formed lexan patch siliconed over the hole, some 16ga gussets and some bumper paint fixed me right up.
My CDI went out the next year, don't know if that was coincidence or a result of being banged around for unknown miles.
If you broke that it might be a good idea to check the rest of subframe for hairline cracks, I had a few heliarced before they got bigger. Take care, DK

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.