Found metal shavings on oil filter

14 replies to this topic
  • nick400

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:41 AM

Recently baught a 99' YZ400F, thought everything was ok, I tested out a few times up and down the street and everything felt and sounded fine. About a month ago went out to ocotillo wells, after a long ride(nothing crazy was alone) I started hearing some slapping on the piston side when I would idle down. So the next day at home I was changing the oil filter and found the shavings, they are metallic so I'm hoping its rings. Anybody have any ideas?

• MotoGoalie

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:44 AM

How big are the shavings? Many of us notice very fine metallic flakes but shavings.....that's a bad sign in addition to your noises. You might need to do some work now.

• Satch0922

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:51 AM

small flakes are perfectly normal. Get yourself a magnetic drain plug before your next oil change. You see metal "slivers" on it as well.

Just make sure you clean or replace the oil filter and change the oil often. I used to change mine every other ride and clean the filter every other oil change.

• nick400

Posted June 11, 2005 - 08:02 AM

The metal is small, very fine, But the slapping noise is what scares me.

• Satch0922

Posted June 11, 2005 - 08:07 AM

the slapping noise could be the cam chain.

Check the cam chain tensioner to make sure it is working properly.

You can download the YZ426F shop manual and refer to it. The same basic engine so it will help you with working on the bike.

YZ426F Shop Manual

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2005 - 08:24 AM

I'm thinking you're saying the noise is on the right? (piston runs up the center) If so, you might see if the noise is from within the right crankcase cover. If so, check the nuts that anchor the primary gear and clutch boss. They get loose. If you find the primary gear loose, inspect the key that holds the balancer drive gear.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 11, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Like everyone else said, small metalic pieces in your filter are normal. As far as the sound goes, it could be normal "four stroke" noise if you're not used to the sounds they make. If you have any friends with a similar bike (400,426 or 450) I would see if they could listen too it and see if they think the sound is normal.

If you're sure it's a new noise though, I would start investigating. Try to narrow down the source of the noise and concetrate your investigation in that area. Start witht the simple things and work your way deeper. Without more specific info on the noise, here's a list of things I would check. Like Satch said, check your cam chain and tensioner. While you're in there, check the valve clearances and look at the cams and cam journals. Have a look at clutch and inside the ignition cover. You could also check out the water pump. In all cases look for signs of damage or "unusual" wear.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nick400

Posted June 11, 2005 - 11:16 AM

I hope its just 4stroke noise, I rode 2stroke until now. I will look into all this. thanx

• Hamish

Posted June 11, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Recently baught a 99' YZ400F, thought everything was ok, I tested out a few times up and down the street and everything felt and sounded fine. About a month ago went out to ocotillo wells, after a long ride(nothing crazy was alone) I started hearing some slapping on the piston side when I would idle down. So the next day at home I was changing the oil filter and found the shavings, they are metallic so I'm hoping its rings. Anybody have any ideas?

a few things to note. There engines have a 90+mm bore, and the piston has a very short skirt. They don't like being lugged. The other thing to consider is the chain slider at the front of the swingarm. I would say that the slider is the cause of 90% of new owners 'engine noise' complaints. The fix is to remove the slider, sikaflex a piece of thin rubber to the swingarm, then sikaflex the slider back on, problem solved.

• 4literranger485

Posted May 10, 2007 - 10:51 AM

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i noticed the small metal pieces in my oil filter today, i'm not too worried because everyone seems to say its normal (2001 yz426) i put about 5 hours on it before this oil/filter change and the bike is new to me, but with my small knowledge of metalurgy i know that aluminum is not magnetic, so all this stuff on your magnetic drain plugs should be steel correct? by the way i'm picking up my magnetic plug today.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 11, 2007 - 06:27 AM

I remember doing my first break-in oil change on my '02 WR250F, and I was absolutely horrified at the shavings I found inside the oil filter housing. I actually called Yamaha's tech dept, and they assured me that the shavings were normal, and would diminish as the engine further broke in. I still always see a very slight amount of metal in the bottom of the oil filter housing even years later.

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2007 - 11:29 AM

90% 0r more of the metal you find is from the trans and clutch. It's to be expected.

• SRT426

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:16 AM

90% 0r more of the metal you find is from the trans and clutch. It's to be expected.

Just as Grayracer said, metal is normal as the engine and trans share oil so you get debris from the clutch. Just change your oil and filter often and you'll be fine.

• BergArabia

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:50 AM

Just as Grayracer said, metal is normal as the engine and trans share oil so you get debris from the clutch. Just change your oil and filter often and you'll be fine.

I guess this, along with the problem of the gearbox breaking down those big molecules that make oil multigrade, is the reason we change the oil so often..
Lucky it is only a litre at a time.. :applause:

• 4literranger485

Posted May 12, 2007 - 07:56 AM

i'm glad to hear all the good news, cause its a scary sight seeing all that metal when the only oil ive changed was a two stroke where you cant notice anything haha

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.