Brake Light

13 replies to this topic
  • RB2

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:21 PM

Anyone have any info on a brake light switch for a wr 450. Thanks in advance :)

• Gadsen

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:31 PM

Anyone have any info on a brake light switch for a wr 450. Thanks in advance :)

Yes, you need the K&S pressure switch (size 10X1.25) and screw it ino the rear master cylinder. Now take the 2 wires from the switch, "T" one side into the power for the running light wire and the other side into the stop wire coming from the original WR tail lamp. Now you will have a stop light, but only with headlamps on.

• RB2

Posted June 10, 2005 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Toyota, another question for ya, how about a speedometer. My bike is BC plated but I need the brake light and speedometer. Now I know about the brake light :)

• Hamish

Posted June 10, 2005 - 11:51 PM

you could always order the bits from Oz. All WR's down here have brake lights, blinkers,speedo, horn and full rego.
Just for a tease, they even sell a YZ250WR which is a registered YZ250 with a quieter pipe.

Web site is having problems at the moment, but it'll be back soon.

• ShawnC

Posted June 11, 2005 - 07:49 AM

Go to the Baja Designs web site and order the brake switch for the Nissan master cylinder. Very simple install. The stock WR450 light has 3 terminals with the 1157 bulb already installed, so all you need to do is connect the wires. I changed out the stock plug-in connector with a new 3 wire plug-in from Radio Shack to make the connections clean.

Shawn :)

• RB2

Posted June 11, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Thanks guys :) I'm thinking all WRs should come from OZ :)

• 1rkcooper

Posted June 11, 2005 - 09:10 PM

RB2

Are you going to license the bike? If so you will need a horn as well.
Trailtech has a nifty little computer/speedo that works great on my bike, should work well for you. Go to www.trailtech.net and order it direct from them, check your dealers pricing, you should save a few bucks. Order the aluminum dashboard to go with it as the mount they send with it is plastic. A banjo bolt brake light switch is what you want, check your dealer it should be around $20 if I remember correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted June 12, 2005 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Toyota, another question for ya, how about a speedometer. My bike is BC plated but I need the brake light and speedometer. Now I know about the brake light :)

I used a trail tech computer with the billet mount. It has total miles (odometer) etc, but its not "certified" and technically not adequate, but a law enforcement officer may be more concerned if you know how fast your going is all and it works perfectly for that plus has lots of other features. If you click on "my garage" under my avatar, then click on my "WR", I have a close up picture of the trail tech with billet mounted on my WR. Its super clean and looks like a factory installed unit and tucked out of harms way. It slides out for washing too and safe storage. Slick setup! This should do it. Otherwise, JC Whitney sells the round analog type thats sealed with odometer and that would work, but of course, you may need kilometers! :)

• Gadsen

Posted June 12, 2005 - 07:51 AM

you could always order the bits from Oz. All WR's down here have brake lights, blinkers,speedo, horn and full rego.
Just for a tease, they even sell a YZ250WR which is a registered YZ250 with a quieter pipe.

Web site is having problems at the moment, but it'll be back soon.

I have been looking for a durable license plate mount for ym WR. I will check out the aussie site. Hey, if for some reason it fits the bill and I am unable to order it, can an aussie help me out as a go between :) :)

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted June 12, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I have been looking for a durable license plate mount for ym WR. I will check out the aussie site. Hey, if for some reason it fits the bill and I am unable to order it, can an aussie help me out as a go between :) :)

Don't think you would be happy with the 'street legal' WR licence plate mount. It consists of a couple of steel tubes, which brace the rear fender, and a plastic mudflap/rear guard extender, which hangs down about a foot below the guard. Durable? Maybe. Practical for any sort of off-road use? NO!!!

• RB2

Posted June 12, 2005 - 10:48 AM

RB2

Are you going to license the bike? If so you will need a horn as well.
Trailtech has a nifty little computer/speedo that works great on my bike, should work well for you. Go to www.trailtech.net and order it direct from them, check your dealers pricing, you should save a few bucks. Order the aluminum dashboard to go with it as the mount they send with it is plastic. A banjo bolt brake light switch is what you want, check your dealer it should be around $20 if I remember correctly.

It is already licensed. London Drugs insured no problem. Ther are about 5 guys in my town riding non dual sported WRs around town :)

• Gadsen

Posted June 12, 2005 - 03:22 PM

Don't think you would be happy with the 'street legal' WR licence plate mount. It consists of a couple of steel tubes, which brace the rear fender, and a plastic mudflap/rear guard extender, which hangs down about a foot below the guard. Durable? Maybe. Practical for any sort of off-road use? NO!!!

ah, I might be still. Next question for an aussie. :) Does it use the actual WR type fender or the MX type. I look online at the YZ250WR and it has a tail lamp, but uses the YZ fender.As for hanging down too low, I can trim off any excess as needed.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted June 12, 2005 - 07:07 PM

ah, I might be still. Next question for an aussie. :) Does it use the actual WR type fender or the MX type. I look online at the YZ250WR and it has a tail lamp, but uses the YZ fender.As for hanging down too low, I can trim off any excess as needed.

The YZ250WR has the YZ rear guard it originally came with. The Aussie WR's have stock WRF style rear guards. The WRF tail light has dual element globe for stop/tail lights, and the rear turn sig's are mounted on the previously mentioned rear guard brace/mudflap set-up. :)

• Gadsen

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:55 PM

...The WRF tail light has dual element globe for stop/tail lights, and the rear turn sig's are mounted on the previously mentioned rear guard brace/mudflap set-up. :)

Sounds perfect. Now I need to find the aussie website for the parts breakdown. I will see if I can round up a part number. We have the dual globe also and I have converted mine to stop lamp also. I need a cool license plate holder is all. My WR is actually an "aussie" spec'd one. I imported it from Canada and it said "AU, CA, NZ and ZA" on the manual. Now I just would like to know what country "ZA" is? Ooops, dont want to hijack this thread. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.