Chain length on a 2004 YZ450F

3 replies to this topic
  • VET_YZF_Rider

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:16 AM

I have a 2004 YZ450F with 14-47 gearing. Stock is 14-48 and the 14-47 combination really seemed to suit my riding ability. The only drawback I see with this set-up is the rear wheel sits really far back in the swingarm which of course helps stability but adversely affects cornering. I am wondering if anyone else with this combination has had any experience shortening the chain from 114 links to 112. Any thoughts? Thanks..

• Ga426owner

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:28 AM

I have a 2004 YZ450F with 14-47 gearing. Stock is 14-48 and the 14-47 combination really seemed to suit my riding ability. The only drawback I see with this set-up is the rear wheel sits really far back in the swingarm which of course helps stability but adversely affects cornering. I am wondering if anyone else with this combination has had any experience shortening the chain from 114 links to 112. Any thoughts? Thanks..

I always start with a 120 link chain and cut it down to fit so that the axel blocks are centered to a little forward of the middle of the adjustment space (for MX)- this is for a brand new chain that will stretch a little ending up in the middle or close to the middle of the adjustment space. If the axel blocks are all the way back - either the chain is stretched too much and trashed - which indicates time for complete purchase of new chain new sprockets.... the bike will turn better the closer towards the front of the adjustment space - but you will lose high speed stability the farther up towards the swingarm the rear wheel is.
The more rearward the rear wheel the better hook up for starts and coming out of corners - it is a trade off so I start in the middle -

For the woods I run the chain shorter making the rear wheel farther forward - for tight Eastern woods riding - turns better -

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VET_YZF_Rider

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the information.
The chain I have right now is fairly new as it only has a few hours on it.
My biggest concern is shortening the chain by a couple of links and then having it be too short. By looking at where the axle is located right now with the 114 link chain, I'm pretty confident that the 14-47 combination with a 112 link chain will work. Anyone else have any experience with this?
Thanks.

• DirtMongrel

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:28 PM

the # of links doesn't really matter, what does is the tension of the chain. Bigger sprockets require more links to cover the distance, which is way NEW chains are always too long, and then cut to length. Most important, dry fit and mark before you cut the chain. If you cut it too short the only resolve is to use two master links. They do make 1/2 links, but I would never use one on a bike with that power.

I cut a chain too short once, and just bougt a cheaper smaller sproket to use untill the chain stretched a little. Having multiple sprockets is nice, it allows you to change gearing/power curve at any time on any track or trail.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.