650r with edelbrock gets terrible mileage-why?

14 replies to this topic
  • RdrMtn

Posted June 10, 2005 - 05:49 AM

My '01 650r is uncorked & plated with a drilled out stock exhaust and a QS carb. I can only get about 50 miles of trailriding out of my stock gas tank before going to reserve. I think that sucks! It seems to be jetted correctly, do I just need to turn the pump screw in more? How far is safe?

• Roll_it_on

Posted June 10, 2005 - 06:17 AM

I don't think that has anything to do with the edelbrock carb but more to do with 650 thirsty CC's I had the stocker jetted perfectlly and now I have the edelbrock and both only get me about 50 miles worth of trail riding before it is reserve time on the stock tank. If I am riding it on the road I can get about 75/80 before reserve but that is just cruising around.

• ponq

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:14 AM

How is your fuel consumption in terms of miles per gallon?

I do not use the stock tank, and don't know the capacity off hand.

Thanks

• RdrMtn

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:27 AM

Less than 30mpg

• jws

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:33 AM

I dont get any better than 30 :)

• ponq

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:35 AM

I was running dangerously lean once and got 47mpg.

I don't suggest it, but it happened.

• RdrMtn

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:48 PM

well it's nice to hear that I'm not alone, guess I'll just have to live with it. That's ok, there's nothing like a big 'ol handfull of 650r power!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stoo

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:50 PM

My '01 650r is uncorked & plated with a drilled out stock exhaust and a QS carb. I can only get about 50 miles of trailriding out of my stock gas tank before going to reserve. I think that sucks! It seems to be jetted correctly, do I just need to turn the pump screw in more? How far is safe?

The 650R is pretty thirsty, but the tank design doesn't help.

The bottom of the tank on the side the fuel tap is on is considerably higher than it is on the other side. So there's always a couple of litres of fuel that you have to carry around, but can never use. :)

You can fit a second fuel tap on the LHS and join it in to the existing fuel line. You'd then leave the original tap on reserve all the time, and then open the second tap if you got to the bottom of that.

Or ya can buy a bigger tank.

:)

• BWB63

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:00 PM

If you are hard (really riding) on the bike; on and off the throttle you will get low milage. That is because you wanted that off idle snap :) Everytime you go off and back on the throttle hard the pump will do it's job and pump a bucket load of fuel and the bike comes to life. If you have the pump screw in to far you will be using more fuel then you need to and waisting it. 2.5 to three out is normal on the pump screw. Also adjust the needle to "lean" till the bike pops when you let off from higher RPM's them go back rich till it just stops. This will give you the most power and the best mileage. #18 needle? A uncorked stock bike gets 65 miles a tank fuel with hard riding, the Edelbrock would get better if you stayed out of the pump but, then you wouldn't have that silly grin on your face :D Get a Clarke 4.3 and forget about how much fuel you use :)

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• captb

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:14 PM

Just gear it taller and short shift more, mines consistant at 40mpg off road and 47 hiway at 75 mph and it's running on the rich side, and runs cool. If you rev the thumpers they will suck fuel, When I had a XR650L and geared it down for better performance the mileage dropped about 10 mpg.

• stoo

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:19 PM

A uncorked stock bike gets 65 miles a tank fuel with hard riding, the Edelbrock would get better if you stayed out of the pump but, then you wouldn't have that silly grin on your face :)

Yeah - it's just opening and closing the throttle that does it.

Best to leave it wide open for best fuel economy. :)

• frankstr

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:46 PM

My mpg seems about the same from the stock carb to the E carb, The BRP is just a big bore whore and luvs the gas........... :)

• Supplicate

Posted June 10, 2005 - 03:56 PM

Or ya can buy a bigger tank.

the bigger tanks are designed the same way. The 4.6 gallon tank I just put on the BRP holds close to a gallon (pretty sure anyway :) ) on the left hand side that you have to tip the bike to transfer over to the right hand side fuel pickup.

But, with that big of a tank, I don't plan on ever having to hit reserve before the next fuel stop.

• stoo

Posted June 10, 2005 - 04:12 PM

the bigger tanks are designed the same way. The 4.6 gallon tank I just put on the BRP holds close to a gallon (pretty sure anyway :) ) on the left hand side that you have to tip the bike to transfer over to the right hand side fuel pickup.

But, with that big of a tank, I don't plan on ever having to hit reserve before the next fuel stop.

Yep - my 16L IMS tank on my XR is the same as well - but as you say, it gets at least 100 miles of hard riding before needing reserve, so it's not too much of a worry. :)

• mikekay

Posted June 10, 2005 - 10:17 PM

You might want to try to adjust the pumper. Most likely it is richer than it needs to be--i.e it is squirting too much gas when you hit the throttle...
With the bike warmed up and idleing, just back the screw up a quarter turn and then whack the throttle. Keep backing it until there is a slight hiccup. Thats where you are to lean (or to rich!)...go back a bit to where it is crisp and clean. Now you should have better milage and still excellent off-idle response.

Becouse the BRP is a low reving bike-you should be getting better milage than most - if not all - other new 4 strokes...at least 30mpg with the edelbrock unless you are really racing it hard or riding it in to low a gear...I get over 30 mpg even when going at it hard.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.