buying 03 wr450 things to look for

6 replies to this topic
  • chevy

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:45 PM

I think i have finally made up my mind and will buy a 03 preloved and i was just wondering what are the common faults with them and what i need to look out for when buying one.

Thanks in advance

• BEAN329

Posted June 09, 2005 - 07:37 PM

First check flywheel torque, then check valve clearance. After that grease all linkages and steering stem and clean air filter and change the oil filter and engine oil. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:01 PM

Make sure it has the 04 starter upgrade:

http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikegags

Posted June 18, 2005 - 10:17 AM

The starter drive is no good and needs to be upgraded to 2004 parts ($300) and the starter and battery is a piece of crap, Yamaha does not stand behind thier product or thier customers, do yourself a favor and buy a KTM or Honda!!!

• jerryls

Posted June 18, 2005 - 05:05 PM

The starter drive is no good and needs to be upgraded to 2004 parts ($300) and the starter and battery is a piece of crap, Yamaha does not stand behind thier product or thier customers, do yourself a favor and buy a KTM or Honda!!!

Or buy an '04 WR, where Yamaha corrected all the above listed problems.

And unless Honda is offering free replacement valves, I don't think they're doing that great a job of standing behind their products.

• Stinson

Posted June 18, 2005 - 06:20 PM

ive got an 03 did the starter upgrade, best bike in the world. Wouldnt trade it for anything. Not saying I wouldnt ever ride a KTM or honda, but the WR is reliable, fast, powerfull, great suspension, oh did I say reliable, and light enough......Comes with electric start, a pretty nice carb, great suspension and a decent electrical system for stock...ok Im done braging. Cya Stinson

• live_to_ride

Posted June 24, 2005 - 09:03 PM

My 03 needed a new head after a year, but yamaha did help pay for it even though it was out of warranty. It was just a freak thing. Other than that, it has been a really awesome bike and I wouldn't trade it for anything accept for a newer one! I LOVE my bike! I did the starter upgrade for I think less than 200 and it was a cake. It took maybe ten minutes. I'm still on my origional battery and it works fine. I posted a thread last year on where to get the parts to fix the starter and which parts are needed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.