yz 400 questions

8 replies to this topic
  • GArider

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Hello, I found a 98 yz400 fourstroke for sale locally that I am interested in. It is in good mechanical shape and decent cosmetic shape. How much do these types of bikes ussually go for (ball park)? Are there any specific things to look out for on these models? Do you think the bike could be used mostly as a trail bike with a little motocross track playing for someone who is looking to step up from an xr250? If i got the bike I would really like to get a supermoto setup for it with a dual sport kit for street riding and keep the dirt tires/wheels for off-roading, is a supermoto setup possible on one of these bikes or does anyone have an expieriance with it? Thanks

• Daz_426_02

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:35 AM

You will be able to supermoto it. As with most Yamies there are loads of aftermarket parts and upgrages. IT will be a big step up from the XR and im sure you will love it.

• walent215

Posted June 10, 2005 - 03:04 AM

that was my last bike and was very happy with it.what i did with the bike was exactly what your looking at doing with it and was very satisfied with its versatility.my new bike is an 03 yz450 and can already tell it wont be quite as versatile as the 400.i live in socal hi desert area and sold my 400 for 2800 bucks.what ive found though is that cali prices are much higher than other states .if you can i wuold look for a little bit newer model like a 00 or 01 .if you cant i wouldnt hesitate one minute on the 400 as long as it appears to be in good all around shape .maybe even a test ride is in order,it sure wont hurt to ask.good luck

• GArider

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. The bike is actually for sale on ebay, but is located real close to me and the seller said I could come look at it and possibly purchase outside of ebay. It is looking like I could pick up the bike pretty cheap which would leave me extra funds for the supermoto/dual sport setup. Any big things to look out for other than the normal things you look for on a test ride?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted June 10, 2005 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. The bike is actually for sale on ebay, but is located real close to me and the seller said I could come look at it and possibly purchase outside of ebay. It is looking like I could pick up the bike pretty cheap which would leave me extra funds for the supermoto/dual sport setup. Any big things to look out for other than the normal things you look for on a test ride?

A close friend of mine is selling his '98 YZ400F, and he keeps it in perfect mechanical shape...new plastics, graphics as well so cosmetically it is nice. He's selling it to help pay for his '06 YZ450F. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,000?

• Butta

Posted June 11, 2005 - 05:51 AM

I've got one that needs new fork seals I'll sell for $1600. Let me know and I'll send pix. Gotta pay for my '05 450 at some point... :)

• bushy

Posted June 11, 2005 - 06:15 AM

:)

I have mine for sale, its a 99 in perfect mechanical condition, had a total rebuild from the crank up one and a half years ago and a new timing chain less then a year ago. It starts first kick, running and idling perfectly. Oil changed every 4 rides and filter changed every 3 oil changes.

As for cosmetic condition, its in good shape with just the normal trail riding scratches and the scrapes on the top of the rear fender from getting on and off the bike. It also has new one industries graphics.

Has a few extras such as a fmf hi flo header and q exhaust, twin air filter, maxxis tires, regina orn chain and jt sprockets. Oh and a ceet gripper seat with a small tear on the back left side.

I'm letting it go for $2000.
Posted Image

A 98 for $3000 you have to be kidding me.

• walent215

Posted June 11, 2005 - 06:51 AM

I Sold My 98 For 2800 To The First Looker No ???'s Asked.as I Said Cali Prices Are Higher But The Bike Had Tons Of Extras And Was Excellent Shape.

• DigilubeJay

Posted June 12, 2005 - 06:15 PM

I have a '98 400f that I gave $2400 bucks for over a year ago.

Kibblewhite (oversize)valves and springs.
426 jug bored to 444 and tweeked by Rich Rohrich of Forward Motion.
MX Tech springs, revalved forks and shock.
Pro taper clamps and bars
Bills Pipe
New bottom end
Hinson basket
10oz weight

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.