Occasional dificult shifting

4 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted June 09, 2005 - 05:32 PM

I ride more Motocross than trails, so I don't use 4th gear that often on my 2004 Yz 450f; but today I rode near Fort Mott New Jersey,(open long trails and open areas) where I was blasting throught the gears.

On occasion when downshifting from 4th to 3rd (and sometimes from 3rd to 2nd) the shifter feels like it won't hardly move down, and refuses to shift. If I then upshift and then downshift again, it works fine. Like I said it's occasional, but it is irritating, any ideas what's going on???

Don

• Batman

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Try watching the action of the shift shaft on the shift drum with the bike on the stand and the clutch cover off . You'll have to spin the back wheel to get it to shift . I haven't had the clutch cover off of mine yet so I dont how visible the shaft/drum is with the clutch in place . Inspect the shift shaft for wear especially where it actuates the drum . If it clears the clutch , you can pull the shift shaft out through clutch side and take a good hard look at it . With the shift shaft out you can also shift it by turning the drum manually with your hand , and if it works normally (assuming of course that it worked abnormally using the shift lever) then you might have shift shaft issue . If you remove the shift shaft you can also check it for straightness . I'm assuming that this bike has hit the ground more than once so a bent shaft is a definite possibility .
That should be a good starting point .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted June 10, 2005 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the info, I know when I first bought the bike (used), I overheard the little brother of the owner mention something about his brother having a pretty good spill one time, so maybe that is a possibility, also the shifter lever itself was slightly bent, I replaced it with a new one off ebay.

The bike other than that works immaculately, and looks practically brand new. I'll have to get out my manual and try what you suggested.

Don

• Batman

Posted June 11, 2005 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info, I know when I first bought the bike (used), I overheard the little brother of the owner mention something about his brother having a pretty good spill one time, so maybe that is a possibility, also the shifter lever itself was slightly bent, I replaced it with a new one off ebay.

The bike other than that works immaculately, and looks practically brand new. I'll have to get out my manual and try what you suggested.

Don

If the shift lever was bent than that's definitely a good place to look , especially seeing as you've got a late model bike . Usually you wont see a lot of shift fork wear on something that new unless it's really been abused .....Keep us posted
Bruce

• SureBlue

Posted June 11, 2005 - 11:10 PM

It is a common fault on early 04 450, I had it too. The shaft seal is too tight (or the axle too big in diameter for the seal, whatever). They fixed the problem on warranty alot. Just like you said it is occasional, today fine, tomorrow bothering. Mine usually got fine after powerwashing the bike, again sticky when muddy. Never had it fixed myself because my bike was bought in Germany so guarantee here in Finland would have been a hassle, the problem just vanished itself.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.