XR or XRL ?

48 replies to this topic
  • stoo

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:45 PM

If you like riding like a hooligan, the 650R will be more fun.

I've supermoto'd mine, but it's still light enough to get away with quite a lot of off-road stuff, even on the little wheels.

Kickstart isn't a problem once you get the jetting right, and the technique sorted. Oil and filter changes are a lot more frequent. 600 miles MAX, but I do mine every 300 as the bike gets a fairly hard time. :) Valve clearances are easy to check. Anything else is going to similar to any other bike maintenance-wise.

My 16L tank gives me over 100 miles to reserve if ridden hard, At least 150 before it runs out at a steadier pace. There's a 25L tank for it if you have to.

vs. e-start and a luggage rack. And you can get a rack to fit the 650R.

I know what I'd do.... :)

• Jack Roberge

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:21 PM

When I was making the decision between the R and the L models I would have got the R and dual sported it except for one thing, no electric start. I refuse to kick over any more motorcycles. When Honda comes out with an electric start R, I'll be first in line to get it.

• Jayzonk

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:39 PM

Sure. But what about an uncorked 650L?? What type of hp at the rear wheel do you get then?

• frankstr

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Dual sport a XR650R and you'll be happy, There is a e start for the R if thats what you desire, A Edelbrock carb will make starting it easy though... :)
I think L stands for lame and lazy anyway........ :)

• Winter_Hawk

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:56 PM

We are all aware that the xrl isnt the fastest, lightest, coolest machine on the market money can buy. To me it is worth every cent I paid for it. Maybe if I wanted to race I would get a DRZ or an "R", but I dont. Well I am out the door to ride and tinker around w/ the bike. Maybe I will stop and get some coffee from starbucks and randomly start yelling FAGS AND SHEEP, FAGS AND SHEEP!LOL! Alright guys have a good one today!

This is too funny! So entertaining when people get their panties in a twist. Giant, meet you at Starbucks? We can discuss how ***** our XRLs are over venti iced caramel machiatos. :)

Brian
"I live my life a quarter mile at a time."

• justicedone

Posted June 11, 2005 - 09:23 AM

Did you say something?

I dozed off...

ZZzzz ZZZzzzzz ZZZZzzzzzzz

• jeepncop

Posted June 11, 2005 - 10:43 AM

What about reliability long term on both bikes?? Can the XR take some abuse? My old XR would take alot of abuse and never let me down, but i changed oil very regularly. But compareing the an 82 XR to the new 650r is like apples and oranges.

• stoo

Posted June 11, 2005 - 10:50 AM

I know of a couple of 650Rs that's done over 20,000 miles and one that's done 30,000. Can't see why any of them won't last if they're looked after.

The engine's are designed to cope with a lot more grunt than most people have them tuned for anyway. I broke 5th gear on mine, but that's down to my hamfisted gear changing with no clutch nor cush drive, on a supermoto. :)

:)

• Triumphs

Posted June 11, 2005 - 11:54 AM

refuse to kick over any more motorcycles. When Honda comes out with an electric start R, I'll be first in line to get it.

The CBR600RR has an electric start....and 120 hp.
Like the XR650L (XL650?) if any thought is put towards intened usage.... it doesn't really compete with the 650R either!

• huntmaster

Posted June 11, 2005 - 01:56 PM

The CBR600RR has an electric start....and 120 hp.
Like the XR650L (XL650?) if any thought is put towards intened usage.... it doesn't really compete with the 650R either!

Buy my friend says the Montesa-Honda 315 trials bike is better then the CBR600RR. Dear oh dear....which should I buy? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 13, 2005 - 08:52 AM

Y'know, I'm not blind to what an XR650R or a DRZ can do better (or worse) than my XR650L, at the moment I can ride whatever the heck I want.

I notice the R guys keep going on (and on and on) about the power, and the speed, and the power, blah blah blah, but for what I do on my bike, the ONLY advantage the R has over my L is weight. If you need to argue with that statement, it only proves you don't understand that statement.

BW says the DRZ torque comes on as early as the XRL, can anyone find a link to a dyno chart to compare the two? I like to poke around in the technical end of things.

And PS I don't think any XRL folks talk smack about the DRZs. I've ridden with a fellow on an S model and it seemed a pretty capable bike.

Dave

• roadcam

Posted June 13, 2005 - 10:49 AM

.. normally, one would think motorcyclists buy the bike they think fits them best ... why all the bickering? ... I didn't buy my bike to make anybody else happy, and I'm sure they did the same ... just go riding till you get it out of your system ... :)

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 13, 2005 - 02:30 PM

BW,
Fun is fun, but;
Maybe if you got off your high-horse you wouldn't come off as such a jerk; and if you look back you'll see that I'm not defending the bike, I'm defending the type of riding that I do.

If you really look at yourself, you'll see that you consider people who aren't out for max speed/max power to be 'lesser'. I think this comes through pretty loud and clear. Example; for what I do, the 650R would be worse- for me, IT would be the lesser bike.

So its not about the bike jokes, I know what the bike'll do and won't do, its about yer snotty attitude.

Having been the one who started the 'best bike in the world' thread, (which I thought was funny as heck, I enjoyed most of it) I have to wonder if you even read the 1st post? I mean, do you get it? Do you?

Dave

• jlpskydive

Posted June 13, 2005 - 03:27 PM

BW,
Fun is fun, but;
Maybe if you got off your high-horse you wouldn't come off as such a jerk; and if you look back you'll see that I'm not defending the bike, I'm defending the type of riding that I do.

If you really look at yourself, you'll see that you consider people who aren't out for max speed/max power to be 'lesser'. I think this comes through pretty loud and clear. Example; for what I do, the 650R would be worse- for me, IT would be the lesser bike.

So its not about the bike jokes, I know what the bike'll do and won't do, its about yer snotty attitude.

Having been the one who started the 'best bike in the world' thread, (which I thought was funny as heck, I enjoyed most of it) I have to wonder if you even read the 1st post? I mean, do you get it? Do you?

Dave

Dave you of all people take BWB's bait???? Come on you've been around here long enough to know he loves this stuff. I have locked horns with him before and it's fun, but when you have a serious Q he's always there.

BWB - Thanks for the suspention help the other day. The whole thing was dicked up, come to find out the triples had twisted enough not to notice in the looks but put it out of alignment and the brace amplified the crap out of it. All or mostly better now.

Oh and the L is the best bike in the world don't let anyone tell you different and BWB63 you suck. LOL

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 13, 2005 - 03:34 PM

I've seen his baiting, and have enjoyed a fair amount of it. I mean, after all, who started that thread?

If he's impersonating a jerk, he's doing a good job!

So BWB, if yer trollin' too good a job!

D

• jlpskydive

Posted June 13, 2005 - 04:15 PM

We should go riding I'm planing on jumping Perris Valley Again this year, but the pig will not be making the flight. Thanks for all your help.

• BWB63

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:04 PM

We should go riding I'm planing on jumping Perris Valley Again this year, but the pig will not be making the flight. Thanks for all your help.

Let me know ahead of time! I have a XR400 here you can ride. I live 25 minutes from Perri's Valley airport :) Northeast buy the big mountain. I don't drink coffee so, starbucks is out for me but, I can hide around the corner if you need to make a stop :)

• justicedone

Posted June 13, 2005 - 10:38 PM

Did you hear the news ???

Micheal Jackson is a free man !!!

And he just bought an XR650L and is headed to Starbucks....

• XR-Det

Posted June 14, 2005 - 03:29 AM

Rumors rumors... only men can ride a XR not monkeys, they haven't developed that skill :)

• Winter_Hawk

Posted June 14, 2005 - 06:50 AM

Geez, what an idiot! His dealer really should have told him how all-around inferior and ridiculously underpowered his "L"ame XR is. :) He obviously needs a "R"eal XR650 to get away from all the papparazzi! :D He must have been scared :D "We're talking f---ing muscle!"

:) :D All hail the 650R :D :D

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.