Hand Guards Reccomendations?

21 replies to this topic
  • hole_shot

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:31 AM

I just slapped on some Acerbis hand guards and had a heck of a time getting them positioned correctly due to the break line mount. I either end up having the right hand guard to high or to low depending on the break line position.

Sure enough I rode in some tight woods over the weekend and it ended up reeking havoc on me.

Needless to say, I'm going to throw them onto another bike. So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of hand guards that fit nicely around the break line.

02 WR 426.

• Texas4play

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:38 AM

I'm using the Cycra Probend with the triple clamp mount. The brake line does interfere some with the mounting hardware but, there are two options: Trim down the mounting hardware (cheapest) or install a new steel braided line. I've noticed that the AM-PRO Yamaha team has a different set of triple clamp mounts that they use. You can order them from AM-PRO. I haven't used these to see if they work better but my guess is they make them to correct this very same problem (clearance). Good Luck !

• wrkaholic

Posted June 09, 2005 - 11:18 AM

I have the same bike, I got mine to work, but, you probably got a different model from Acerbis. If I remember right, I tilted back the reservoir a little and wedged the line in there. I have aftermarket handle bars. Here is a link to a thread that has a pic of my bike. You cannot really see it too well, but, if you have the same handguards, it is possible to make it work.

http://www.thumperta...t=256743&page=1

• byggd

Posted June 09, 2005 - 03:22 PM

I just installed Cycra pro bend bark busters on my 02 426 with pro taper bars and was able to mount them facing straight forward. The brake line rests right on them but they clear it. :)

• kirkw

Posted June 09, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Tusk D-Flex. Great price and they are proving to be quite sturdy!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 09, 2005 - 04:44 PM

I had the same problem with Acerbis guards. I used my drill with a saw bit and cut out a notch where the brake line is. This way you can have the brake in a comfortable position and it fits perfect. It's really easy to modify, just use something to cut a notch so the line fits in there.

• Bamster

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Enduro enginering fit nicley on my WR 400.

• Sierra Smokey

Posted June 09, 2005 - 07:17 PM

A second vote for the Enduro Engineering guards. Too bad they don't make more stuff for the Yamahammers. Their catalog has some cool stuff, but most of it is for KTMs.

• hole_shot

Posted June 10, 2005 - 06:11 AM

I think I will go with EE. I've heard nothing but good things about them since most the guys I ride with are on KTM's.

Thanks for all the input.

• rockieman

Posted June 10, 2005 - 06:15 AM

Acerbis wraparounds.....I saw them on a couple of bikes in the latest Dirt Bike. I did not see them on their (Acerbis) webpage???
They look sweet and strong!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted June 10, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Dude, don't waste your money. You already have the Acerbis guards, just modify them like I said earlier and they will work great. Don't be scared, It's really not that hard to cut out a little notch.

• freestyle250

Posted June 12, 2005 - 01:30 AM

I had the same problem with Acerbis guards. I used my drill with a saw bit and cut out a notch where the brake line is. This way you can have the brake in a comfortable position and it fits perfect. It's really easy to modify, just use something to cut a notch so the line fits in there.

I did the same thing with mine, there is actually a rectangle indent on the guard that if you cut right along the indent line, it fits perfectly

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 04, 2005 - 07:13 PM

I'm using the Cycra Probend with the triple clamp mount. The brake line does interfere some with the mounting hardware but, there are two options: Trim down the mounting hardware (cheapest) or install a new steel braided line. I've noticed that the AM-PRO Yamaha team has a different set of triple clamp mounts that they use. You can order them from AM-PRO. I haven't used these to see if they work better but my guess is they make them to correct this very same problem (clearance). Good Luck !

Texas, Very interesting..... I just bought a set of Cycra Probend handguards. You are right!!, the front brake cable is DIRECTLY in the way of the triple clamp mount (I have the "side mount" ones for my BRP clamp).. I just spent the last hour grinding away at the triple clamp mount just so it'll clear the brake cable... Also, each guard has two plastic pieces to it, one is the hand guard itself and the other is the guard on the out side to protect the aluminum, well, they overlap eachother.. I had to cut one of the plastic guards so that they wouldn't interfear with eachother.. It looks rigged, and to top it off the kits don't include longer pinch bolts to accommodate their handguards.. I'm totally disappointed.. On my KTM I had the Fastway FIT system, it was perfect in every way, I blew it big time, this mounting system sucks and allows no adjustment to get around things like a brake cable.... I'll check out the AmPro mounts for now..

Dan :D

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:30 AM

I have the cycra handguards. I love them. To get better clearacne for the brake hose you can cut one of the 2 tabs off the master cylinder that keeps the hose from rotating. That way you can rotate the hose up or down a little to get it to clear the handguards. I have done it on a few bikes now. works great.

• extex

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:37 AM

Another vote for Enduro Engineering. Great quality, fit perfectly on my 05 WR450.

• farkawi

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:18 PM

I'm using Acerbis handguards on my '05 WR450. I had to cut the upper banjo locating tab off of the master cylinder to make it all work out.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:33 PM

After emailing Cycra about the problem I had mounting their handguards they told me to cut the tab on the banjo fitting like some of you have done.. I dunno..... I'm not into it... I'm totally unimpressed with the fitting of the Cycra triple clamp mount handguards. I grounded my mounts down with a grinder and have finally made them work.. Somehow I think they could've done a better job...

• Summit

Posted August 06, 2005 - 05:09 AM

I just put a set of Enduro Engineering guards on my 05 WR 450 with the blue anodized aluminum and the black plastic shields and they look awesome. They were cake to install and fit well. The only thing that ticked me off was having to drill 8 holes in the aluminum bars for the plastic shields to mount on. You'd think for that price they could have had the darn holes drilled. Here's a tip too, if you don't want the holes to show from the from of the bar then measure the screw length and mark the drill bit for depth. The screws provided are about an 1/8" shorter than the bar stock. I measured and knew this but decided to drill through anyway and I think it looks good. This wasn't mentioned in the instructions. Also I had to move the clutch and brake lever a little.

• Mike_Mike_Motorbike

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:43 PM

AHHH! I can't find AM-Pro or AmPro or Am Pro any where on the net...
Except race results Please Help.
I do have a couple cool pics from the magazines and their triple clamp mount on rodney smiths bike looks bad ass.

• Matty05

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:50 PM

Barkbusters all the way baby!!!

Almost every Aussie has these babies on their bike!
Perfect fit and strong as. I have wacked a few trees with mine and they don't move.
You can get new plastic covers for them when you go to sell ya bike too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.