Tank overflow washing head bearing out?

14 replies to this topic
  • KiltLifter

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:26 AM

My '04 WR450 has the tank overflow tube router down the center of the stem (stock) and after a couple of very hot rides, you can see where it has been spewing onto the front fender. All fine and good, but it looks like it's also coming out the lower head bearing and I'm afraid it may be washing out the lube. Is it an optical delusion? Is it a common problem?

This particular trip was HOT (100F) and we were with quads (slow) and when we stopped I heard a boiling sound from my bike. OK, it's hot, so I peek into the overflow tank, ind IT is not doing the bubbleing. I open my gas tank, and MY GAS IS BOILING! We checked the other rides (WR,DR,2 quads) and all 5 were boiling gas. Freaky. All that expensive octane floating away. :)

• Chas_M

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:56 AM

I was under the impression that the stock WRs had a basically closed cooling system, with all of the coolant overflow spewing into the coolant recovery reservoir. So why would coolant be spewing onto the steering head in the first place?

To decrease gas boiling, some folks actually insulate the bottom of the gas tank to limit the amount of engine and exhaust heat reaching the gas tank.

• KiltLifter

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:36 AM

It was GAS spewing out onto the fender, sorry. The hose out the top of the GAS tank points down the head tube.

• Texas4play

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:43 AM

I let mine dangle freely (not the best option but, better than down the steering tube). I've been meaning to get one of those "shorty" pressure valves for right above the cap. I've never had my gas boil though. Must be an elevation thing??

• WGP

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:55 AM

http://www.pitposse.com/moplvecap.html

• tonymiller

Posted June 09, 2005 - 12:14 PM

WGP,
Thanks for the cap info, HOWEVER, I went through the process, blue was in stock, great, $9.95, great, then the total...$9.95 plus $7.95 shipping!!! This part is 2 oz tops,and the size of half a pen...cancelled the order. Can't they put in an envelope and use the damn USPS??

Of course, now I will bounce down Grand Prix Sports and I will have to order it and it will be $19.95 anyway...can't win...[sorry for the rant!]

• WGP

Posted June 09, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Interesting, Ya, I just bought some grips, one of those, and some grip donuts, and it was 8$ shipping :D But, there is NO SALES TAX :)
Maybe try to order some more stuff to make the shipping and no tax worth it. :)
It did take 10 days to get to me too :D
Then again they have alot of good products on that site :D
Tough Choices I tell ya.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted June 09, 2005 - 01:08 PM

If you've got a bike shop close by, they'll probably have one. I got mine locally for $3.95 + tax, made by Red Baron...SC

• Jackazz

Posted June 09, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Here's a fix that'll only cost you a zip-ty...

Like so. It keeps the bearing "washout" a non-issue & it "fits" alot nicer with my bar & top triple arrangement (compared to stock routing). I just pull the hose off the plastic check valve when I refill, leaving the long part of the hose zip-tied to the bike. :)

• Chas_M

Posted June 09, 2005 - 04:19 PM

If those Posse Vent Caps are one-way, when the gas heats up in the tank it will super pressurize the carb float valve and may cause unnecessary flooding.

• RCannon

Posted June 09, 2005 - 04:48 PM

I tried the shorty vent and did not like it. Mine leaked. There was also no place to set the cap (or rather, hang) while filling. I like the zip tye method the best so far!

• trailriderjoe

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:48 AM

Guys,
Going back to the orginal comment.
There is no way anything can get into the bearings to wash them out. The fuel tank vent tube goes inside of the pipe, which goes all the way down thru the bottom of the lower triple, thus exiting out on top of the front fender. The inner race of both the head bearings is "outside" the pipe, the pipe is the inner most piece, it rotates inside the bearings. For anything to get to the bearings it would have to be introduced at the top end of the pipe (outside it) and try to get past the seal right where the triples squeeze down on the head of the frame.

I got my old factory triples lying around, would a picture help make sense of it?

• Hamish

Posted June 10, 2005 - 03:01 AM

Guys,
Going back to the orginal comment.
There is no way anything can get into the bearings to wash them out. The fuel tank vent tube goes inside of the pipe, which goes all the way down thru the bottom of the lower triple, thus exiting out on top of the front fender. The inner race of both the head bearings is "outside" the pipe, the pipe is the inner most piece, it rotates inside the bearings. For anything to get to the bearings it would have to be introduced at the top end of the pipe (outside it) and try to get past the seal right where the triples squeeze down on the head of the frame.

I got my old factory triples lying around, would a picture help make sense of it?

exactly what joe said :)
Imagine if water that got down the tube got into your bearings, they'd last about a week!

• WGP

Posted June 10, 2005 - 06:56 AM

All vent caps are one-way ehh? :)

• KiltLifter

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Trailriderjoe,
You're right, and I had assumed the same about the construction. I will post a picture and you will see the smut pattern that got me worrying about the bearings. Luckilly I was a slob and haven't cleaned it yet. I'll post tonight or tomorrow. I was planning on running my computer wires through there (once I abandoned the ambitious "thru the ODO cable" idea), but now I think I'll tape the wire to the brake line like the rest of the world.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.