Cams and Top End

5 replies to this topic
  • jonova

Posted June 08, 2005 - 01:51 PM

I am just about to pull my motor apart and put in some new hot cams and a 97mm piston in my 01 426. I have a few reservations left that I want to clear up.

When I tear the motor apart at TDC and then replace the cams, piston and new barrel, how do I know if the bike is at true TDC without the cams in the bike? Do I just have to make 100% certain that the entire time I have the motor apart the crank does not move at all?

Do our bikes fire both on power and exhaust stroke?

• 02YZ426

Posted June 08, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Just look through the inspecion window on the side case... as long as the mark on the flywheel is ligned up with the mark on the case then its still at TDC. Just look in your manual, it shows it all in detail. IF you dont have a manual there is one somewhere in this forum free to download, just do a search and you should be able to find it.

• jonova

Posted June 08, 2005 - 03:18 PM

I hear ya on that....But, this is a True TDC which is when the plug fires and then there is a TDC for the exhaust stroke and they are 360 degrees off. How do you know you are at True TDC, because all that mark does is tell you the piston is at the top of the stroke. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 08, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Thats because it doesnt matter... the cams determine wether or not its intake or compression stroke, Just make sure the "E" mark is facing exhaust and the "I" mark is facing the intake side and the marks on the flywheel line up with the case.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2005 - 04:14 PM

The ignition is crank triggered, and thus produces a spark on each TDC, so both TDC's are the same as relates to ignition timing. "True TDC" has nothing to do with which stroke the engine is on, though, only on whether it is within one degree of TDC or not. The crank determines that. The cams and ignition must be sync'ed with that to determine which TDC is which in terms of the engine cycle events.

• jonova

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I see clearly now, thank you Masta! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.