2005 wr450f throttle stop screw

8 replies to this topic
  • AZFLYBOY

Posted June 08, 2005 - 10:59 AM

Has anyone just cut down the stock screw to save $14.00 dollars on a YZ screw. If so, anyone have the length to be cut off fo the WR screw, and yes I know too much is a bad thing.

• Cairn

Posted June 08, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Here's the published procedure:

The throttle stop screw is located at the rear of the throttle "disk" assembly, and points almost vertically, tilted slightly towards 1 o'clock as you view from the right side of the bike (Figure 2).

Using a 4mm hex head wrench, preferably one with a ball head, back out the throttle stop screw. There is Loctite on the threads so the initial going will be tough.

[COLOR=Navy]The throttle stop screw measures ~1.30" (33mm) while the STEM only measures ~1.10" (28mm).

The throttle stop should be cut to a total length of 0.975" (24.765mm) or a stem length of 0.790" (20mm) in order to match the YZF's full travel. [/COLOR] Use a hacksaw or Dremel cut-off saw to make the cut. Cut on the long side and then file to the final length, clean off any burrs and provide a slight chamfer around the circumference (Figure 3).

Coat the now-bright cut end of the throttle stop with some light grease to guard against corrosion. Put everything together, again using some Loctite on the throttle stop threads.

Have fun!

• AZFLYBOY

Posted June 08, 2005 - 08:14 PM

Anywhere that I could get that article. and thanks for the info. :)

• freestyle250

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:13 AM

In my opinion its in your best interest to just buy the new screw. If you cut it too short you run the risk of the throttle sticking wide open on you, and if you cut it too long, you wont be getting full power out of it. For the amount of power increase that you are gonna get, its best to do it the right way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:16 AM

Buy the YZ screw. Your piece of mind is worth $12, right?...SC

• Cairn

Posted June 09, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Here ya go: http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm.

• HamBonE_23

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:20 PM

My 01 WR 426 has the throttle stop screw removed. When i bought the bike last year it was popping at very high revs. Changed jetting and to make a long story short it was popping because the throttle screw was removed. From the people that i've spoken with it isn't going to hurt the bike as the bike pops at too high a rev to keep it from blowin and it tells me when i've gone too far with the throttle.

• Dunlop

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:22 PM

What if the cables get stuck? Why not just put it back in and have it stop before it starts poping?

• spy

Posted June 11, 2005 - 04:21 AM

Running without the throttle stop is a very bad thing.. :)
Imagine what happens if the whack the throttle hard, the stop prevents possible carb damage in situations like these.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.