Has anyone shorten there 05 chain?

14 replies to this topic
  • Blue4Ever

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:59 PM

I have changed the front sprocket to a 13 tooth, there is enough room to shorten the chain by one link which will also shorten the wheel base by about 3/4". This should help cornering. Is there any negative issues this could bring about?

• Slowmotion426

Posted June 07, 2005 - 09:02 PM

I thought on it, but I really couldn't think of anything negative. Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe i'll do this on my own 426.

• flintlock28

Posted June 08, 2005 - 02:21 AM

The only negative is the tighter turning radius of the chain will stress it more.....i.e. it's gonna have to make a tighter turn.

• offday

Posted June 08, 2005 - 02:44 AM

Thats a pretty small front sprocket. It might wear the chain a little faster but I don't think the average rider would be able to tell much, if any difference in a 3/4 inch wheelbase change. :)
Hell there is more adjustment than that in the rear axle when your chain starts to stretch a little. Do you fell any difference in handling when you adjust your chain :)
But if you want to try it go a head. Just make sure your rear axle moves forward enough so you wont run into any problems on that end.
I have seen guys go from too long, to too short in a matter of 2 links :D

• phat_450f

Posted June 08, 2005 - 09:34 AM

i need to do that to my 05. the wheel is adjusted all the way back and the chain is still loose.

• Blue4Ever

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:55 PM

I hope your not getting 3/4" when you adjust your chain. One link equal 1.5" and that is split half on top and half on the bottom. Removing one link will bring the rear wheel 3/4" closer to the center of the bike, making the front easier to loft & turn quicker. The bike comes with a 14 tooth, the 13 will tighten the radius & cause some extr drag but the benifit of the lower gearing in thight corners is worth it to me. When you adjust your chain you should only get about 1/8" further back, in turn taking out approx 1/4" slack. If you let it go longer than that you may cause other issues.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 10, 2005 - 06:57 AM

Folks please tell me that you are not talking about the "Stock Chain" It is junk and will stretch to hell and back - as well as trash your new front and rear sprockets quicker than a new quality chain. GET RID OF IT!!!! or for some of you replace with new chain and new sprockets - must be done as a set.... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:02 AM

I replaced mine within 10 hours of riding and the sprockets were already showing signs of abuse from the chain. I kept them around to use only as an emergency, but replaced the chain and sprockets as a set. BTW, I went from stock gearing to a 14/48 combo (I've got an FMF Ti-4 pipe) and have found this greatly to my liking. The pipe woke up the low end a bit and now I can lug it out of corners in 3rd and still have speed for the straights without going to 4th (yeah, I'm slow!!).....

• Blue boots

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:10 PM

I was looking to sharpen up the "turn in" on the 05 450 so I removed 2 links (1 male 1 female). This reduced wheel base by 16 mm, turn in is quicker, still stable at high speed, front end is noticeably lighter on starts and in the whoops. I would recommend this mod to anyone looking for a little shaper steering. I have also used 1 tooth smaller front sprockets on several of my bikes with no appreciable increase in ware. What manufacture is the 13 tooth front sprocket you have? I can't find one that will fit the 05 because it requires a narrower sprocket than previous years.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 10, 2005 - 01:19 PM

i tried to go that short but it would have bound up(sprocket was too close) on my tm design guide waaay to much,probly woulda cut it in half! as far as the 05 having a skinnier front sprocket i don't beleive thats correct. because i'm running the renthal 13t i had for my 04wr450,with no issues whatsoever :)

• TexN343

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:31 PM

I just got a new x ring chain and sprockets but I think I changed the ratios a lil short because I can actually use 4th gear now . I have 14 in the front and 50 in the rear. I was wondering would changing the 14 to a 13 make it have more top speed or more acceleration? What would the 13 50 gearing be close to as in 14 in the front and ? in the rear? lol If that makes any sense.

• flintlock28

Posted June 10, 2005 - 04:11 PM

Going 1 tooth smaller in the front sprocket is equivalent to adding 3 teeth to the rear sprocket. Going from a 14 to the 13 will give quicker acceleration, but less top speed. In other words, at the same speed, you will now have a higher engine RPM.

I think 13 front, 50 rear is relatively close to a 14 front,53 rear I believe.
l

• Satch0922

Posted June 10, 2005 - 05:23 PM

Folks please tell me that you are not talking about the "Stock Chain" It is junk and will stretch to hell and back - as well as trash your new front and rear sprockets quicker than a new quality chain. GET RID OF IT!!!! or for some of you replace with new chain and new sprockets - must be done as a set.... :)

LMAO...that was the first thing I thought!

• Blue4Ever

Posted June 10, 2005 - 11:16 PM

Sorry guys! I was the one who asked about the Tri-Metal Sidewinder on a prior thread. Justed wanted to see who else might of done this. Renthal 13 up front, Tri-Metal 51 at the rear with a D.I.D. VM X-ring. I would suspect you could after a few good rides take out a few links and still be at the end of the adjusters with the OE chian. LOL

• DigilubeJay

Posted June 12, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Actually, removing a single "link set" (one male and one female) shortens the chains total length by 1.25" ( a 520 chains pitch is 5/8" or .625")
When you remove a link set, it shortens the wheel base by less than .625 inches.

I say less than because the chain is at an angle to the swingarm. Removal length must be figured using the hypotinuse. If both sprockets were the exact same size, removing a link set (1.25") would reduce the wheel base exactly 5/8"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.