coolant use

8 replies to this topic
  • pb1963

Posted June 07, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Took my 650R on a cross country ride the other day. We covered mostly jeep and forest service roads totalling about 85 miles. The jeep road was fairly technical however, rutted rocks, 1st and 2nd gear stuff for at least half of the 85 miles. When I got back I noticed that I had lost some coolant. It was at the high mark when I started and now its down below the low mark. I can't smell any coolant and it hasn't boiled over when I'm riding. The oil looks clean on the stick. The bike is uncorked and I'm running a 1.6 cap with devol radiator guards. It was warm here in AZ that weekend, probably mid 90's. Any ideas? :)

• BRP27

Posted June 07, 2005 - 04:16 PM

One year ago I was riding in tight tech stuff, slow riding and hot as heck, no wind. I was uncorked. Bike started boiling over real bad, after much discussion and looking at the alternatives, I went with EVANS NPG, waterless engine coolant. I changed out the regular coolant with this stuff and never looked back. probem solved. It is not cheap but it solves the over heating problem. I have the stock 1.1 cap and I have never boiled over since. I have not even had to top off the over flow tank. This stuff is great.

There are many other options and opinions,but this is simple and it WORKS. :)

Potects from -40 F to 375 F

Do some homework on the web and check it out!!

• pb1963

Posted June 07, 2005 - 05:29 PM

I bought the bike used and it had some red coolant in it. Who makes red coolant? I drained it and put the Honda coolant back in the bike. Thats what I ran in a previous 650R and never had any trouble with useage or overheating.

• frankstr

Posted June 07, 2005 - 05:36 PM

Don't use tap water........Maybe check your thermostat..... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pb1963

Posted June 07, 2005 - 06:35 PM

I used the HRC 50/50 mix. Just dump it in and your ready to go.

• BrettJ

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:25 PM

yeah defiantely check your thermostat mine was stuck open, I use castrol anti freeze anti boil and mix it 50/50 with distilled water just like honda says too :)

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Engine Ice and a 1.8 cap are pretty hard to beat, I ride in the desert year round and never boil over.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:11 PM

You may also want to consider installation of a cooling fan, like the ones that came stock on the Honda Transalp 600-twin dual-sport. Slim, compact, quiet.. Honda still makes the fans.

• BrettJ

Posted June 08, 2005 - 02:34 AM

yeah but the standard 650 lighting coil won't have the power to run it, I tried a low power computer fan and it spins but really really slowly :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.