WR vs. YZ exhaust question?

11 replies to this topic
  • Conan_'dale

Posted June 07, 2005 - 11:20 AM

I picked up a 2000 WR400F

I ride only woods, no track. I'm planning on doing the free mods to include changing the timing w/ gray wire, timing chain, throttle stopper and air box. I'm looking to get this pipe from Rocky Mountain: Yoshimura : Comp Series Full System, Yamaha

My question is do I get the WR pipe or the YZ??? They have different part #'s both have spark arrestors. If I'm running YZ timing it would make sense that I would want the YZ pipe?

• REBELEX

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:18 PM

Yeah i would i were you. Doing the free mods the stock pipe will only hold it back, although if you take the baffle out of the WR pipe it WILL make a difference. Its cheap but effective still :)

• WheelsUp

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:59 PM

...and also heavier than hell on pre-'05... and an unplugged stock WR pipe is louder than a YZ pipe. Might be a bit much for trails.

• RADRick

Posted June 08, 2005 - 09:12 AM

I picked up a 2000 WR400F

I ride only woods, no track. I'm planning on doing the free mods to include changing the timing w/ gray wire, timing chain, throttle stopper and air box. I'm looking to get this pipe from Rocky Mountain: Yoshimura : Comp Series Full System, Yamaha

My question is do I get the WR pipe or the YZ??? They have different part #'s both have spark arrestors. If I'm running YZ timing it would make sense that I would want the YZ pipe?

Actually, none of what you've said makes sense to me. You want a woods bike, but some of the mods you're considering are aimed more at WOT riding. Woods is mostly about low speed, low RPM power. You need mods geared toward improving throttle response and low RPM torque and horsepower, not high RPM, high speed riding. The Yosh YZ pipe is race-oriented and not geared towards woods riding. Look at what the guys racing GNCC or enduros are using. I dare say you won't find many using either Yosh system. The WR is already a good woods bike that needs some simple mods to make it great. Making it into a YZ with no desire to use it on a track seems like a mistake, IMO.

• byggd

Posted June 08, 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'm not sure where you plan on riding but the YZ pipe may not be USFS approved.

• Conan_'dale

Posted June 08, 2005 - 11:38 AM

Radrick,

Great point. My issues are that I'm 6'7" and I weight 285lbs and I need all the extra power I can get out of the bike. When I had my Cannondale I loaded the X map on it which was the motocross map. Most guys complained that it was a handful in the woods, yet it was perfect for me. I can move weight around on the bike so I need extra power that most guys don't want. I think this will be the perfect bike for me YZ power with WR gear ratio.

I'm still not clear, if I order a Yoshi pipe am I ok to get the YZ pipe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Conan_'dale

Posted June 08, 2005 - 11:39 AM

I'm not sure where you plan on riding but the YZ pipe may not be USFS approved.

Thanks! That answers my question :)

• WheelsUp

Posted June 09, 2005 - 11:14 PM

My question is do I get the WR pipe or the YZ??? They have different part #'s both have spark arrestors.

I didn't catch this earlier.
The YZ pipe does NOT have a spark arrestor. It's a straight pipe.

• bfly

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:27 AM

I think everyone is missing what you were asking.

According to Yoshimura's web site there is only one choice for both bikes:

Yoshimura Full Exhaust

• Conan_'dale

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:33 PM

I think everyone is missing what you were asking.

According to Yoshimura's web site there is only one choice for both bikes:

Yoshimura Full Exhaust

bfly, I think you are right. I'm sorry to confuse.

Rocky Mountain has these 2 systmes listed. Looks like the part # is the same except the WR has an "A" behind the number. The description says both pipes have S/A's. I'll just go with the one listed for the WR.

My main question was if I changed over to YZ timing will the pipe make a difference and will I need a pipe that is specific for YZ timing? The WR and YZ pipes (stock) are different.

In-Stock YS00741A Comp Series Full System, Yamaha WR400/426 98-02 $396.76

In-Stock YS00741 Comp Series Full System, Yamaha YZ400/426 98-02 $396.76

Looks like the WR is the one for woods riding :)

• RADRick

Posted June 10, 2005 - 07:35 PM

I didn't catch this earlier.
The YZ pipe does NOT have a spark arrestor. It's a straight pipe.

Actually, Yoshimura includes a removable SA with all their systems. :)

• WheelsUp

Posted June 12, 2005 - 07:45 PM

Oops... my mistake. I was thinking that he was considering the stock YZ.
Dunno why I thought that :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.