Tires?

34 replies to this topic
  • BC61

Posted June 08, 2005 - 11:37 AM

Wow, I can't believe how different my experience is with this POS tire.

Which version of the IT did you have? There are two compounds, a soft-int and int-hard.

• sldietz

Posted June 08, 2005 - 01:00 PM

Dunlop has a new tire...the D952...supposed to be long lasting...and good for all types of terrain....

http://www.dunlopmot..._tire.asp?id=89

• RADRick

Posted June 08, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Which version of the IT did you have? There are two compounds, a soft-int and int-hard.

What? The tire model is Max Cross and it is available in IT and HT. I had the IT version. There are NOT two different versions of the IT.

• Vibeguy

Posted June 08, 2005 - 06:18 PM

I think there are 2 versions of the Maxxis IT now, the new one is called the IT Desert. The original is just the Maxxis Maxcross IT......

• RADRick

Posted June 08, 2005 - 08:04 PM

I think there are 2 versions of the Maxxis IT now, the new one is called the IT Desert. The original is just the Maxxis Maxcross IT......

There are NOT two versions of the Maxxis IT as there is no such thing. IT, like HT, is a designator that Maxxis uses to differentiate between different compounds and follows the actual model name of the tire. It is not a specific model of tire in and of itself. IT=intermediate terrain, HT=hard terrain. The MaxxCross comes in both IT and HT versions. The new MaxxCross Desert only comes in an IT version. I bought the MaxxCross IT because of the good press it has been getting. IMHO, it is junk for anything but riding a track, where it actually does well. On trails with REAL intermediate terrain it just does not hold up. I just put a MaxxCross HT on the rear to see if it holds up any better than the IT version for my type of riding. If not, I have a full set of Bridgestone 401/402 tires to replace the current Michelin/Maxxis with.

• BC61

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:30 AM

My mistake, only the 80/100 front comes in two compounds. Parts guy told me otherwise.

• Scotty426

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:51 AM

My Pirelli MT32 in 120 size was a superb tire. I currently run the maxis IT out back as an experiment. I like both. The Pirelli was a better handler IMO (tough sidewall might make small air pressure differences less of a problem, not sure) but the ware rate was higher than I wanted. Maxis have a couple rides and have been OK. If things stay as they are, I will go back to Pirelli. The price difference was $9, this is small enough that I'd pay it for the best feel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted June 09, 2005 - 03:35 PM

Wow, I can't believe how different my experience is with this POS tire. I bought three of them back in March for me, my brother and my nephew. The only one that isn't worn out is my brother's because he is not an aggressive rider and rides only about a third as much as us. Mine chunked up on the first ride and by the third the square edges were so rounded off that the tire was practically unusable. My nephew has hated this tire on his 2-stroke almost from day one. I'll say this, on the track it is an awesome tire when new, but I don't buy an intermediate tire just to use it on a track. :)

Your right RudeRick, everybody else (including me) is full of $hit and you know it all. :) :D :D :D :D

• RADRick

Posted June 09, 2005 - 06:46 PM

Your right RudeRick, everybody else (including me) is full of $hit and you know it all. :) :D :D :D :D

You got a problem with that? The wrong info keeps getting put up even after I corrected it. As it refers to you, at least your statement is partly accurate. :)

• Blue4Ever

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:16 PM

WOW!!! There seems to be alot of personal feeling about everones tires. Keep in mind that everyone rides in different areas and the conditions are going to be different, meaning loomy soil vs rocky soil vs high desert sand vs clay ect... The best thing to do is try a few different ones that may suit you own conditions until you find the feel that suits you! Most of the time a harder compound will last long but will chunk in rocky conditions, a softer compound will not chunk but wear faster in agressive soils. I used the Michelin MS12 in the past and now run Dunlop 756's. I personaly like the way they feel in the corners and how well the front sticks, but this is for my conditions and my feel!

• saucebox

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:16 PM

i took my bike for its first spin with the maxxis IT on it tonight and omg i cannot believe i didnt put this thing on last summer as soon as my tire started to wear.. i was riding in the rain in ditches and mud and gravel and sand.. sand was about the only place it didnt hook up.. i even tried whipping it around and roosting my buddy and it just hooked up and almost flipped on me.. alls i can say is it cleans really really good and hooks up awesome

• RADRick

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:11 PM

i was riding in the rain in ditches and mud and gravel and sand.. sand was about the only place it didnt hook up.. i even tried whipping it around and roosting my buddy and it just hooked up and almost flipped on me.. alls i can say is it cleans really really good and hooks up awesome

None of which could really be considered intermediate terrain, which is where I feel this tire doesn't perform in terms of wear. Like I did say, on a track or soft terrain the tire works extremely well. If that's all I was using it for, it would probably be great.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 10, 2005 - 04:53 AM

now boys,can't we play nice?! :D the IT's do not like mud;period,they don't clean out well (which i believe was one of the criteria) especially the front. i've been running the new SI's from maxxis front(80/100) and rear(120/100-18) and i loved the front when i put it on,its great on muddy rocks and roots(and just about anything else for that matter) it wears very well also. when the front went on the rear was not yet available so i ran it with my tenmaster trelleborg(pricey but a very good performer) while waiting for the rear SI, i thought to myself that this trelleborgs gonna be a tough one to beat! well the rear SI has been on now for a couple weeks and is freakin' awesome,it hooks up in mud like its not mud,and sticks like glue to everything else(just like the front) wear is very even,reasonable, and no chunking. these could very well be the best tires for eastern offroad conditions ever made :) the only improvement would be if they made a 90/100 front :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2005 - 04:36 PM

Georgia clay must be even stickier than the dreaded White Adobe I get into around the lowlands of Southern SoCal. Hard to imagine. There actually isn't a tread pattern that it won't stick to. Motor oil works, but it has its drawbacks. You can ride along and watch the front tire get larger as you go. Short of that, the IT does OK for an Intermediate tire. Remember too that mud isn't exactly intermediate terrain, anyway, and a D773 does work better in the goo.

The problem for me is that in the California I ride in, on any single ride, I find a variety of soils that ranges from sand to DG, variably packed, to loam, to occasional mud, to soil with a lot of rocks, to rocks with a lot of soil, to just rocks, to clay packed into a great imitation of concrete. I have to have a versatile tire that holds up well, and so far the IT fills that bill the best. Mud, deep loose loam, and sand are soft terrain. Hard-packed clay is hard terrain. The stuff in between is intermediate.

• Blade275

Posted June 14, 2005 - 12:04 AM

thanks ill keep them in mind you really helped!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.