Modified XR650 VS. CR500

61 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted July 08, 2008 - 03:53 PM

That would be fun, but its a long way and I have to pick my trips...:thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted July 08, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Well come anyways....it is over six hours pulling family and trailer from So. Cal. to Pismo. We don't go fast and we stop and eat. Been saving fuel for just this trip. It is one of the few trip I go to no matter what. It is to relaxing to miss. The high octane that some of the guy put in their big belly tanks makes for major fun at night. I tell you your dad would love it! Flag, paddle and you are set!

• gearloos

Posted July 08, 2008 - 07:26 PM

I know this post/question is old and I do love the XR's but:
After riding a friends 500 at Glamis with a lot of goodies on it I can seriously say "This isn't even a discussion". That thing scared me. I don't mean it was hard to ride, it was like my old sportbike would feel if it was on nitrous. Now bear in mind, I'm no pro, not really even a hardcore racer, but I have done my share over the years. I used to run my Honda fourtrax on alcohol at Glamis and raced 5 years in the La Rana series and a year of score back around 1990 so I do know the difference between a nice desert ride and a race.
Might also be the paddles and instant traction.. just to be fair to XRR guys. And I have rode more than one friends XRR.

• BWB63

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:12 PM

Yes, there is quite a few different reasons why an stock (uncorked free flowing exhaust) XR650R and a stock (reed valve and pipe) CR500R are close in the sand drags with the XR650R pulling the CR500r lots of times. Gearing is the biggest reason. Most guys are only running 10 paddles on the XR's and the CR guys keep putting 12~14 paddles on. The XR and CR both turn 8200rpm but have different primmary gearing the CR is geared to about 85mph and is radical quick. The smart sand draggers know that the bikes get to 80 very quickly. The CR500's through a ton of sand but don't move out of the hole fast enough to shift into third if they have stock gearing. My XR680R is second gear start even with 14/45 gearing and I do get well into 4th. It isn't good that the CR500R's have extended swing arms (most of these big racers are hill climbers) that makes the bike dig down more then move forward. I would say if setup to pull the same speed, same paddle, the CR500R's should win and they do when everything is the same but, it is rare to find a CR500R geared for 102mph. Gear a XR650R for 90mph and let me know what the power feals like. My XR680R with stock gearing is outragous to control and at that gearing it is pulling over 100mph. In the end it is all about pushing the bike forward not digging a hole. CR500R is lighter, more horsepower, quicker reving and if geared right can go just as fast or faster then an XR650R but, it does turn the rear tire quiker and that can be a big problem when you get into the big power.

http://borynack.com/...o/Pismo2006.wmv

• danny v

Posted July 09, 2008 - 07:59 PM

What really separates the CR500R from the XR650R is reliability..

The CR500R has no mechanical weaknesses. It doesn't lose footpegs. It's frame is indestructable (within reason). It doesn't foul plugs. It explodes to life with one kick after a wreck. It explodes to life on a dead-engine drop-banner start desert race, Faster than ANY 4-stroke. It doesn't care if a branch punches out a radiator. It doesn't need an air filter. It will not quit. A true glutton for punishment

The CR500R stock rear wheel HP at sea level is 55hp. Right in the middle of its RPM range (at about 5500rpm). Past that, it falls on its face. At redline, it is putting out under 30hp at the back wheel. You can feel this when you ride it.

So when I'm racing against ANY modern four stroke in a desert race, I have to get on the gas early, short-shift (fight the front wheel down) as smoothly as possible and pass the four stroke(s) before I run out of power. From 60-100mph, I'm losing power, while the Four-strokes are still in the thick of theirs. Plus the F-N CR500 doesn't like to turn.

In 1999, Dirt Rider tested all of the open bikes at the time. The CR500 put out the most HP, followed by the more broadly powered KX500. All of the four strokes were still putting out nearly 40hp (back wheel) at their respective redlines, and they were easier to ride. The Husaberg.. well... it's a Husaberg :ride:

My number on reason for buying my CR500 was because the local Yamaha shop wanted $7200 otd for a 1999 WR400 (long story).. The CR500 was the second choice @ $6400 OTD with Stabilizer, Pro-tapers, USFS spark arrester, Skid plate... Better service!!! The 650R was just too hard to kick over when cold.

HERE HERE !!!

I HAVE BEEN RIDING HEAVY MOD. CR500s FOR YEARS !!!
I NOW HAVE A XR600R (SIMI MOD)

YOU HAVE TO BUILD A 650 UP TO TRY AND COMPARE TO THE STOCK CR ?????
LETS GO APPLES TO APPLES
YOU TAKE YOUR (BUILT 650) AGINST MY BUILT (CR500) :p
OH, DON'T FORGET TO BRING $ FOR THE BET :thumbsup:

I LIKE BOTH BIKES FOR THIER INTENDED USE BUT TO COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE AT LEAST BUILD THE CR UP TO MATCH. IT IS ALL READY AT HANDICAP BY 150 CCs :worthy:

NOT MENT TO GET ANYONE GOING BUT I LOVE MY XR, IT IS A GREAT GO TO THE STORE FAST SCOOTER :p :cry:

DANNY V

• 2strokessuck

Posted July 09, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Talk is cheap, for the put up or shut up crowd, go on the Pismo trip in two weeks. There will be around 40 cr500's and probly 3 or 4 xr650r's there. I have both, and stand by my original statement that the cr500 will lose in a long enough race. I've had and ridden man cr500's in all sorts of stages of build, and the xr650r is flat faster in the long haul. I am bringing my cr500A/F and my xr650r to the Pismo ride, so I plan to prove my thesis.:thumbsup:

• Suikerland

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:16 AM

:thumbsup: I wish I had western Australian BRP buddies :p

:cry: I wish I had Dubai BRP buddies :p

• BWB63

Posted July 10, 2008 - 06:01 AM

HERE HERE !!!

I HAVE BEEN RIDING HEAVY MOD. CR500s FOR YEARS !!!
I NOW HAVE A XR600R (SIMI MOD)

YOU HAVE TO BUILD A 650 UP TO TRY AND COMPARE TO THE STOCK CR ?????
LETS GO APPLES TO APPLES
YOU TAKE YOUR (BUILT 650) AGINST MY BUILT (CR500) :p
OH, DON'T FORGET TO BRING $ FOR THE BET :thumbsup:

I LIKE BOTH BIKES FOR THIER INTENDED USE BUT TO COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE AT LEAST BUILD THE CR UP TO MATCH. IT IS ALL READY AT HANDICAP BY 150 CCs :worthy:

NOT MENT TO GET ANYONE GOING BUT I LOVE MY XR, IT IS A GREAT GO TO THE STORE FAST SCOOTER :p :cry:

DANNY V

Come on we have many, many races between our XR650R's and CR500R's and when they are apple to apple it is very close with it bouncing back and forth who wins. Nitrous CR500R's and XR680cc bikes and most times the XR wins. Stock CR500R's against free flowing XR and the XR will win in the long run but, not the short run. Change the gearing on the CR and it will win. I have money and will take yours with my bike.

• Kenzo

Posted July 10, 2008 - 07:17 AM

HAHAHAhaaaa...smack attack!

Bruce better represent!

:thumbsup:

• motobikem1ke

Posted July 10, 2008 - 02:10 PM

I have ridden often with CR500 riders on my BRP 650R. I am not sure if crazy people are drawn to the biggest CR, or is it that the CR TURNS people insane?

I get spanked every time on whoops, woods, single track, rocks and just about anything else. Those guys goes balls-out every time.

BUT... I always spank them in flat-out, wide open straight-line sections. Based on the above comments, it is probably because the CR's lose torque/HP at the higher RPMs and the BRP keeps on accelerating.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenzo

Posted July 10, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Bruce,

in that video is that buggy hitting thr rev limiter or is that a pop-off valve???

...also wut front tires u run'n on the 680???

...obviously i know nut'n about sand & dune riding :p

• BWB63

Posted July 10, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Pirelli MT18 right now, I don't realy know what works best...the tire doesn't stay down much more of a unicycle. I am sure it makes a difference because I have ripped a few tires off right away because I could tell it was way wrong. Most tires work ok if you have the right paddle on the back. Skinny tires are way no good in the front. They dig way to hard and down you go, seems like fatter bald tires work good. Even the MT21 work ok. Once I get in the pure sand it is more like riding a seadoo.

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 10, 2008 - 07:38 PM

in that video is that buggy hitting thr rev limiter or is that a pop-off valve???

Definitely turbocharged.

• BWB63

Posted July 10, 2008 - 08:06 PM

I missed the first part of the question duel variable vain turbo

The Sand drag with the bikes are the 680cc XR and CR500R with the Nitrous ON. Jay Lewis is on the CR500R and he is heavy. Rich Tracy is on my 680cc bike and those were his first two runs. He got a lot better. I am running the video, I started to fall over alot. I have a bad left wrist.....well here this says it better,
Posted Image

it has been broken sense that picture and this was another set back for that hand....right through the bone, only the head of the nail was left out of the hand, took a lot of hits with the hammer to get it that far in...no it was a nail gun...stupid kids!
Posted Image

There is a lot of instant torque when dropping the clutch on a rev'ed 680cc bike into second and it rips the bars right out of my left hand....

• Kenzo

Posted July 11, 2008 - 07:12 AM

Pirelli MT18 right now, I don't realy know what works best...the tire doesn't stay down much more of a unicycle. I am sure it makes a difference because I have ripped a few tires off right away because I could tell it was way wrong. Most tires work ok if you have the right paddle on the back. Skinny tires are way no good in the front. They dig way to hard and down you go, seems like fatter bald tires work good. Even the MT21 work ok. Once I get in the pure sand it is more like riding a seadoo.

i've seen where some (mostly the KLR boyz) switch from a 21" front rim to a 19" or 18" rim and run a fatter tire up front and only lose maybe 1/2" in diameter...thay say it's much improved in sand and mud...but i don't recall u desert boyz doing anything like that, any reason or did it just miss it? :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted July 11, 2008 - 12:13 PM

i've seen where some (mostly the KLR boyz) switch from a 21" front rim to a 19" or 18" rim and run a fatter tire up front and only lose maybe 1/2" in diameter...thay say it's much improved in sand and mud...but i don't recall u desert boyz doing anything like that, any reason or did it just miss it? :thumbsup:

I thought about it for three minutes......then I relized I wouldn't be able to get the tires I like. Lot of money to spend to restrict your bike to only a few tires. Get back on the seat, and pull the throttle!
Pirelli MT410 is nice in sand but, the MT450 scorpioncross is the best front tire I have ever ran. It wears out fast and is for hard terrian but, grips like glue. Pirelli Scorpion XCMS is nice for all around stuff but, I run the MT18 HD for that now.

• Kenzo

Posted July 11, 2008 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image
Note To Self: If I EVER see Bruce handling powertools, firearms and/or explosives...RUN AWAY!!!:thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted July 11, 2008 - 11:25 PM

Funny thing about that picture is that the corple bones have been fused then rebroken (cracked down the middle) from over clearing a a set of 65' doubles on a XR650R. The last part of the ring finger is missing from the third joint up. (the little finger is loner) and the middle joint to the index finger cracked. I went ridding the next day with Jay Lewis, David Gray, Matt Stamper and a few others with the hand still broken (We pulled the nial out) and then I got the cast put on that Monday after the weekend ride. Had then make the cast so I could still ride...had a big Jawbone ride to go to.
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:00 AM

Funny thing about that picture is that the corple bones have been fused then rebroken (cracked down the middle) from over clearing a a set of 65' doubles on a XR650R. The last part of the ring finger is missing from the third joint up. (the little finger is loner) and the middle joint to the index finger cracked. I went ridding the next day with Jay Lewis, David Gray, Matt Stamper and a few others with the hand still broken (We pulled the nial out) and then I got the cast put on that Monday after the weekend ride. Had then make the cast so I could still ride...had a big Jawbone ride to go to.
Posted Image

Bruce, you are a trooper my friend!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted July 12, 2008 - 06:11 AM

I think it is more stupidity! They (doctors) removed the nerves to the center of my hand so, I felt little pain. My hand did stop working after eight hours of riding but, it doesn't work well by then anyways. Good thing stupid is only temporary in my case. Stupid seems to come on me once I get on a bike or around explosives. 2005 was a bad year...lots got broken.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.