Street Leagal Fast and Cheap

27 replies to this topic
  • RichBaker

Posted August 24, 2005 - 02:46 PM

It's not a Yamaha, it's a Hondog....bought it before I got in with the guys at Eastside Cycle, the local Yamaha shop. I eventually bought a YZ250WRA and made the XR legal...

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 25, 2005 - 02:24 PM

thanks. Upon inspecting friend's XT I have decided to go with the hydraulic switch, but not the same one you bought :D - which one was yours that died?

P.S.- considering hydraulic to avoid the need to fabricate a mount above the rear brake for the switch... How did you mount yours?

• RichBaker

Posted August 25, 2005 - 03:24 PM

The hyd. was a K&S. I mouted the mech switch to the top rectifier/reg bolt, had to open the hole in the switch bracket a little bit. I used SS lock wire to connect the switch spring to the brake lever. It works great...
I didn't need to fab a mount, the switch came with a bracket, all I had to do was mount it. I'll see if the dealer has any more and get the part # if you want...

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 25, 2005 - 06:30 PM

That would be excellent. :D I have a Yamaha dealer nearby.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted August 26, 2005 - 01:03 PM

I stopped in there yesterday, the switch is no longer available....but they had several other mech. switches. None of them came with brackets, but it'd be easy to make one from scrap sheet metal....

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 26, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for checking. I really appreciate it. Will do some checking on it on the net. Thanks again. :D

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 26, 2005 - 01:50 PM

44-0074 mech switch with 8" wires all drum or needed models Black Mechanical switch $9.95 ea $7.95 ea
http://www.4strokeso...keSwitches.html

• TeamScream

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:26 PM

yzman just posted this for me on the dualsports forum....and if you've read enough of his posts you can be assured he knows what he is talking about! Thanks again yzman:

Hey ExTex. You can get your bike legal way cheeper than the Trick dual sport kit. All you need is the following

Hydraulic brake light switch $15-20 www.bajadesigns.com
Acerbis Mirror $15 www.Rockymountainmc.com
Toggle switch $3 Radiioshack
Some wire and connectors $10 Radiioshack
DOT Kenda Trackmaster tires $75 a pair thru www.Rockymountainmc.com
Honda Kill switch $10 Honda
Radioshack Personal alarm and 9v battery $10 Radioshack
Insurance $50 thru www.bike-line.com

Here is the horn. Just wire the Honda Kill switch to the alarm. Open the alarm up and there are 2 metal tabs with wires on them. cut the metal tabs off and attach the wires to the kill switch. Instant horn.

http://img.photobuck...rn_close_up.jpg

http://img.photobuck...s/horn_assy.jpg

Your rear tailight is already wired for a tailight / brakelight. You just need to splice in and wire in the hydraulic pressure switch. Pretty easy really.

The headlight is a high low bulb. But like the tailight isn't wired. Take the toggle switch and wire it in so you have high/low beam.

That should do you. $140 is way cheeper than any dual sport kit you will find.

Nice!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.