Police picky about dot tires on dual sport in CA.?

9 replies to this topic
  • xdirtbikerx

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Anyone have any experience from Calif. and a dual sport bike with non DOT approved tires and the police? just wondering if i should get DOT tires or just get a good knobby. the only street riding my bike will be getting will just be short trips to the dirt. no commuting or cruising around. thanks.

• XRKING

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:50 PM

In my opinion there are a couple of DOT tires that will out perform any off-road tire. One is the Tera-Flex and the other is the Kenda Trakmaster II. I've had many different brands, DOT and non-DOT, these two take the cake.

• roadcam

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:03 AM

my cop friends have told me they can't imagine anyone being hassled over the tires, unless maybe as a factor in some sort of accident lawsuit, and that's a stretch ... probably depends where you live, and how badly you're "asking" for a citation ... :)

• Husky_Forever

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:26 AM

So many good DOT tires out there, no need to run non DOT. Dunlop 606, Pirelli MT 21 to name a couple. Loads of riding buddies are CHP and local police. No one cares about about non DOT unless you are a goof ball and look to get busted and they just want to write you up for being stupid in public (SIP). Its the non working lights, expired plates or bogus registrations they look for (and find). Steny :)

• xdirtbikerx

Posted June 07, 2005 - 09:30 AM

I think you are right, and i have never been one to tempt trouble, so i think i will stick to the dot tires, i have never used them before and was a little skeptical about how good they would be, but so many riders have said so much good about them, i guess they must be good tires. thanks to all who have left their info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted June 07, 2005 - 03:22 PM

400 riders show up Sunday morning, Mr. Law says hold on I need to check everyones tires! I don't think so.

• jws

Posted June 07, 2005 - 05:19 PM

I run Maxxis ITs never had a problem :) but I did just read this :)

http://www.district3...read.php?t=1703

• LotsOfBikes

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:06 PM

I have not run a DOT rear tire on any of my dual sprots since 1997. In the three times I've been pulled over, not one of them even said a word about them, and I wasn't trying to hide it either.

• xdirtbikerx

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:36 AM

what were you pulled over for? just wondering.

• PECKER28

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:13 AM

i havent met a po po that wasnt picky

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.