Update on Clutch Failer

8 replies to this topic
  • sgtmadmax

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Here's the update on my clutch failer.

Honda will be replacing the Clutch basket and all related parts damaged.:) .A $12.00 part wasted $600 in parts not including labor. If anyone has the earlier Xr-650 ( 2000-2001?) I recommend taking your pig apart and changing the $12.00 part. Buy the Nut that hold the clutch basket on also it is a one time use nut. I good thing is the service tech said that the damage was not related to anything that I did. The second good thing is I bought the extended warranty when I bought the bike. Now just waiting on the shop to fix the bike, parts are on order. :)

• Winkel

Posted June 06, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I'm assuming you experienced a clutch bushing seizure? About how many miles or hours did you have on the bike. I have a 2000 650R with a little over one thousand miles on it and no problem. Am I safe???

Winkel :)

• sgtmadmax

Posted June 06, 2005 - 08:34 PM

I had a little over a thousand miles on my bike. I haven't pushed it to hard yet . I was just glad that it broke when it did. I would have been bent all to hell if it happened up in the hills. I was lucky that it happened at a friends place while I was putting around with my son following him on his XR 50. :)

• sgtmadmax

Posted June 06, 2005 - 09:25 PM

Sorry I didn't answer your question the frist time. I would have it checked and changed if I were you . It's a cheep if before it fails. After it fails it get expensive. You will be much happier if you do it now then if you do it later, I've been lucky that my warrenty doesn't end for another 6 months. Max

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • my98mugen

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:10 PM

ok........so lets get this strait..........we need to replace item #17, under clutch in the mirofiche...................due to what? it came off?..............what happened?

• AzKicknMxRacr

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hey Max, you have to treat the Big Ol' Red Pig like a woman. They wear out easy, especially when you're riding hard. :) Just joking... But no, I am serious, its a dangerous world out there. I can't wait for you to get the Pig fixed so we can ride together! Give me someone to ride against instead of those other uh hum ACHOO :) riders, sorry I have a cold. Talk to you later keep it real and stay in touch!

• sgtmadmax

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Here's the information that was passed to me by another member of the group. Max

Re: XR 650 Clutch failer

This is a common problem on bikes 2001 an a half and earlier and some latter that have the old clutch bushing (my 2003 had the old bushing and bad counter shaft seal).

Some get lucky and get the seized bushing off. It sounds like yours seized easy and can be pulled off or popped down and then pulled off.

All about the XR650R

• TimBrp

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:39 AM

ok........so lets get this strait..........we need to replace item #17, under clutch in the mirofiche...................due to what? it came off?..............what happened?

There is a bushing the clutch basket rides on. On the 2000-2001 and even 2002 early models numbers the bushing lacked a very needed oil gallery. Hence they seize up to the rod and your clutch goes whacko. Mine was fine but I replaced it anyway. Just to say I did.

• KeithBoyd

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Check my thread on the same subject to see pix of this problem....I trust it will help in some way :)

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.