More Traction

10 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted June 06, 2005 - 01:36 PM

Anybody else looking at these? Mine just landed. I'm waiting for a 19 inch rear wheel to arrive so I can mount the track and test it out.
A hard rubber ring mounts on a 19 inch wheel and replaces the tire. It becomes the drive sprocket for the track which has a contact patch of about 5 inches wide and about 24 inches long. A special rim lock keeps it from slipping on the rim. 2 rollers in the back keep the track centered and in touch with the ground. It mounts to the bike with the stock rear axle and 2 swingarm brackets. The stock chain adjusters set the chain tension and another set of adjusters set belt tension. Total weight is about 20 pounds.

• drewpeacock

Posted June 06, 2005 - 01:56 PM

Nice. I would love to try one! Let us know how it works. I know I'm going to get slammed for this ? but do you have snow this time of year?

• Jackazz

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:03 PM

That looks pretty neat, & relatively affordable compared with other trac systems. I wonder how well it handles jump landings? I suspect that you probably don't get airborne much in the type of terrain that a setup like that would be used, but I would think that it's not entirely out of the question.

• bluebike1999

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:49 PM

frostbite.
can you put the ski on the front too and post a pic.
that'll be one top picture for the garage wall.
is that for snow only? looks like it would make a wicked hillclimb set up.......
just nail it and hang on.
thanks for sharing this with us.

• mole1

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:59 PM

check out the video here :
http://www.racerxcan...402_Kimpex.html
can you say holeshot , is this thing race legal ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:14 AM

when that thing snaps and wacks ya in the back of the head your gonna know it :)

• Frostbite

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Nice. I would love to try one! Let us know how it works. I know I'm going to get slammed for this ? but do you have snow this time of year?

Well, it’s snowing today, we still have lots of snow, the bay is still frozen and folks are still snowmobiling, - but – August and September the ground is usually bare. It’s normal to get a snow flurry or 2 but it melts right away.

The Attrax video shows the track running mainly in dirt and they are bouncing off of some decent jumps. I’m sure the extra 20 pounds of unsprung weight will be easy to feel but the bikes in the video seem to handle normally.

When my wheel arrives I’ll post some pics with the ski and track mounted. I’m thinking that the track will work a lot better than my paddle tire for water crossings. Maybe I’ll be able to stay up indefinitely with the track. :)

• simch

Posted June 07, 2005 - 01:39 PM

Holy sheeet!! That thing is wild.

Yet again, frostbite, you blow us away!!

Post some action shots won't you?

• Frostbite

Posted June 08, 2005 - 05:21 AM

when that thing snaps and wacks ya in the back of the head your gonna know it :)

Getting slapped in the head by the track doesn’t seem so bad when you’ve spent the past few years avoiding unintentional acupuncture. :)

• ncmountainman

Posted June 08, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Getting slapped in the head by the track doesn’t seem so bad when you’ve spent the past few years avoiding unintentional acupuncture. :)

uhh ya,i think i'd want to ride in the back of that pack :) or are you the only one of your kind up there? i'm guessin' you just might be :D

• Frostbite

Posted June 08, 2005 - 05:48 AM

uhh ya,i think i'd want to ride in the back of that pack :) or are you the only one of your kind up there? i'm guessin' you just might be :)

You guessed right, I do run with a pack of sledders regularly, but no winter bikers so far.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.