XR 650 inverted fork ?

25 replies to this topic
  • sgtmadmax

Posted June 06, 2005 - 01:16 PM

has anyone swithed to inverted fork on their XR 650. I'm look for off road slyle. Thanks.

• ponq

Posted June 06, 2005 - 01:26 PM

search titles can yield great results.
I think any question you have will be answered here.

http://www.thumperta...searchid=428743

hope the link works

• sgtmadmax

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Max

• thouk

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:26 PM

I just put some Crf 450 R forks on my 650R. I ran a dual sport ride. It seemed like they worked fine for what little time my wheels spent upright. It seemed like I was upside down more then up. There was a guy on the Yahoo Xr650r email group that sent out an email on how to do it. There is a company that has the work done for you on the net. Type in XR650r in Google and see where it comes up. Good luck on your adventure. I think you will like them. Happy riding, Tony

• BIG RED

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:18 AM

i am very interested in putting inverted forks on my 650r the link won't work for me. if anyone has any info i would love to here it. i am assuming that i will need to buy the entire front end off a crf 450 including; tree, forks, axle, brakes,and wheel? then i will need to replace the fork spring to compensate for the weight difference.
Thanx

• thouk

Posted June 07, 2005 - 11:53 AM

Big Red,
Yes you will have to replace the whole front end except for one thing. You will need to remove the stem from the Xr triples and put it on the Crf triple. You will need to mill down the underside of the top triple of the Crf triple about 3/16th inch to let the stem nut have enough bite on the stem. I had a local machine shop do the work. The bottom bearings on the stem are the same. The top bearings on the Crf are bigger. The steering stops need to be cut back also so that you can turn a lot sharper then if you don't. I will try to find the link so that you have a better idea of what is going on. I am putting the RTT Motorsports steering stabilizer on my bike. I had to have a spacer made so that it will fit on the bike. Hopefully I will have it done for the weekend. Happy riding. Tony

• thouk

Posted June 07, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Heres a link
http://www.emigracing.com/CRXR650.htm

• thouk

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:41 PM

http://home.comcast....c/CRFClampMods/

• BrettJ

Posted June 07, 2005 - 08:50 PM

I heard inverted cr/crf folks cause excess stress on the frame and leads to cracks is this true?

• qadsan

Posted June 07, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Inverted forks will cause more stress on the XR650R frame, but whether its too much for a given application under varying circumatances is anyones guess. I doubt anyone here has done or will do enough controlled destructive testing with intrumentation, metalurgical analysis, etc, on this combo to provide detailed data as to how this frame will hold up and when it will fail under varying circumstances & applications.

Take a look at the results of all the Baja races including the last Baja 500 this last weekend and you'll see plenty of XR650R's still finishing in the top spots. How many of those winning 650R's have USD forks? Take a look at the 650R's in the Aussie Safari's (i.e. Jamie Cunningham, etc) and how many of those winning 650r's have USD forks? If the USD forks were really that much of an improvement for those applications, don't you think you'd see more of these world class racers using them?

There are some valid reasons to want USD forks on the 650r, but some of the people I've spoke with simply wanted them because they looked cool or thought they would be better because all the newer bikes have them (i.e. CRF. YZF, WRF, KTM, RMZ, etc). I think the USD forks might offer some benefits on the pavement and perhaps on the trail, but the stock stuff works pretty darn well once it's properly spring & revalved. I prefer my 650r forks to our WRF KYB USD forks, but our CR/CRF twin chamber Showa USD forks were magic and they'd be my pick if I was going to do this conversion.

I don't think anybody here who has done this conversion will see any serious problems from it, but not everybody who has done this conversion was completely happy with it. I've thought about this conversion and may do it someday, but that someday keeps getting pushed out further and further.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sgtmadmax

Posted June 08, 2005 - 09:37 AM

Gadsan Thanks for your points on the USD forks. I'm itterrested in doing the USD folks on the big pig, but I looking to find out the benifits of doing the swap verses the draw backs. So far I've heard that the USD are more rigid and don't flex as much as the convesional forks. This is the reason that the use them on super moto bikes. The CRF's use the USD because the USD forks work will on tracks as the stock 650 fork flex and work better for trail or desert riding. Don't know the final answer The USD do look better on the bikes but I don't think that I'm going to replace my frontend just for the bike to look cool. Anyone have any other thoughs on this Thanks Max

• J_T

Posted June 08, 2005 - 10:14 AM

there was a Fellow that was actually Putting XR650R forks on his CRF450 and replacing his USD forks. I think it was Mackmack, http://www.thumperta...ber.php?u=36547 .
You may want to ask him why he didn't want his USD's

Just an idea.

• Racin Jason

Posted June 08, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Upsidedown forks are not so great when it come to desert racing . If you talk to my tech steve at shock theripy he will tell you why . I have them on my 05 wr450 but i dont think it would have made a dif either way .
One thing bad about the usd forks is the tripple clamps tend to cause friction and the uper tubes bend slightly and cause stiction in a long desert race when things get hot that is not good. std forks are casted and they cant flex down there and if the tubes bend a litle bit at the top it will not effect the ride . The std forks allso absorb vibration and front hit shock beter . The whole upsidedown fork thing is just bling when it come to desert bikes . For Moto x it is lighter and the track is groomed so the your not hitting rocks at 100 mph . I would save my money and get things that make racing easyer . a great steering stabilizer and large tank and get your stock shocks set up . Good luck im done rambling . And my spelling sucks today im tired .

• petrosXR650R

Posted June 08, 2005 - 07:26 PM

what about OHLINS forks?? i'm thinking switching to them cause they totaly rrrrule + there is a dealer here who sells them around 1500 euros cause he stocks 46mm forks and the new part of OHLINS are 48mm(but cost 3300 euros)...

• mackmack

Posted June 20, 2005 - 12:57 PM

I'll buy anyones old xr 650 forks please!!!!!!!!!! there so sweet on the crf 450!!!

• rmhrc630

Posted June 20, 2005 - 02:07 PM

Can anyone sya which year CRF triples are best on the XR?

Arent the 2004 and later year CRF triple clamps heaps better because of the angles?

( I think steeper?)

• rmhrc630

Posted June 20, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Inverted forks will cause more stress on the XR650R frame, but whether its too much for a given application under varying circumatances is anyones guess. I doubt anyone here has done or will do enough controlled destructive testing with intrumentation, metalurgical analysis, etc, on this combo to provide detailed data as to how this frame will hold up and when it will fail under varying circumstances & applications.

Take a look at the results of all the Baja races including the last Baja 500 this last weekend and you'll see plenty of XR650R's still finishing in the top spots. How many of those winning 650R's have USD forks? Take a look at the 650R's in the Aussie Safari's (i.e. Jamie Cunningham, etc) and how many of those winning 650r's have USD forks? If the USD forks were really that much of an improvement for those applications, don't you think you'd see more of these world class racers using them?

There are some valid reasons to want USD forks on the 650r, but some of the people I've spoke with simply wanted them because they looked cool or thought they would be better because all the newer bikes have them (i.e. CRF. YZF, WRF, KTM, RMZ, etc). I think the USD forks might offer some benefits on the pavement and perhaps on the trail, but the stock stuff works pretty darn well once it's properly spring & revalved. I prefer my 650r forks to our WRF KYB USD forks, but our CR/CRF twin chamber Showa USD forks were magic and they'd be my pick if I was going to do this conversion.

I don't think anybody here who has done this conversion will see any serious problems from it, but not everybody who has done this conversion was completely happy with it. I've thought about this conversion and may do it someday, but that someday keeps getting pushed out further and further.

I personally think the frame stress issue is bs. I mean every other manufacturer fits their bikes with USD forks.

As has been said many times before (I think also by you Qaddsan) the 650R is the biggest mother of a frame Honda make.

Yes there might be a difference in handling - that's it though. It's a handling issue.

The frame can take it - otherwise all other frames are stronger than the 650 and I just dont buy that. They used to fit USD to 600s and almost every other bike made.

I also think that the USD v conventional war is surely over. I mean factory bikes have been fitted with USDs for what 15 years now!!!

• Moredesert

Posted June 21, 2005 - 09:42 AM

WHere can I see a picture of an XR650R with USD Forks set up for dirt?

I checked e-bay and the link http://www.emigracing.com/CRXR650.htm to see what it would cost to convert over to USD forks. There are enough parts out there so It can be done cheep.

• thouk

Posted June 21, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Post your email address and I will send you a picture that I have of mine.... not the best quality but still "seeable". Tony

• mackmack

Posted June 21, 2005 - 12:59 PM

here it is NO CAPS dmspea01@moreheadstate.edu

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.