Need Tire Repair Kit advice!!

Hi guys, I have a 2005 XR650L that I love, and I take it to somewhat remote areas. I worry about getting a flat tire and being stranded. What sort of repair kits or tire repair stuff should I get? What do you use?

carry a 21-inch front tube with you, along with tire irons, and some way to re-inflate (either a pump, or CO2 device) ... you can use the 21" tube on either wheel, long enough for you to get back to town ...

I bought an Innovations kit a few months ago and had to use it for the first time yesterday. It was a med/quick leak but I was in the hills close to home and had a gas station in between. That gave me the luxury of making it home to fix it in the comfort of my garage with the lift stand.

Make sure you have the tools to remove the wheel, and at least 2 tire irons, (no screwdrivers, please) a patch kit, and a way to inflate the tire. A spare tube is a really good idea too.

Motorcycle tires are just big bicycle tires, so changing them on your own is no big deal.

The other option is to always ride with a mechanic.

Hi guys, I have a 2005 XR650L that I love, and I take it to somewhat remote areas. I worry about getting a flat tire and being stranded. What sort of repair kits or tire repair stuff should I get? What do you use?

Have you ever changed a tire yourself before?? Maybe you should try that in your garage before you carry all that stuff with you and then figure you can't get the tire off or on ;-)

Otherwise I've used those self sticking bicycle emergency patches before and they lasted for a week before starting to leak again (on a nail puncture). Together with two irons, wrenches, and a way to get some air back in the tire and you're set ?

hmmm maybe a little tube of soap?? Its a pain to slip 'em of or on dry.

Det

From what I understand, changing a tube 30 miles out in the desert isn't exactly easy. What about that green slime stuff? I'm just talking about being able to get back to civilization, not necessarily doing a full repair and continuing to ride. Has anyone really changed their own tube before on a ride?

From what I understand, changing a tube 30 miles out in the desert isn't exactly easy. What about that green slime stuff? I'm just talking about being able to get back to civilization, not necessarily doing a full repair and continuing to ride. Has anyone really changed their own tube before on a ride?

Thats what I meant when I asked if you've done it before in your garage. If that doesn't work real well then out in the desert it becomes mission impossible.

Sorry, never tried that green slime stuff myself... I guess it depends on the type of damage if that stuff is really able to seal it.

So far I've been lucky not to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. The only flat rear tire I ever had, happened next to a road and that worked real well with the Dunlop D606 as long as it was going straight with about 50mph. The pain started when I got into the city with plenty stops and turns. Anyway, I was impressed how well that tire performed totally flat. The hole was that big it didn't even hold air for a minute. For the sake of the tire I decided to park it and get a friend of mine to pick me and the bike up.

Has anyone really changed their own tube before on a ride?

I have had to change tubes several times in the middle of nowhere. When on long rides I carry two shorty irons and a fredette axle wrench, along with an extra front tube.

You can also carry large zip ties and cinch your flat tire to the rim in several places. As long as your flat tire stays on the rim you can ride for many miles on it without damage.

I rode 15 miles of a national enduro "B" loop once on a rear flat that stayed on the rim, even passing many guys. Thank you Maxxis IT. ?

?

Has anyone tried one of those fix/inflate in a can deals? I carry one around with me, but have, fortunately, never had the opportunity to use it.

I am wondering if its worth the space it takes up.