Brakes for 2001 426

6 replies to this topic
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted June 06, 2005 - 12:24 PM

I just got some EBC brakes like a month and a half ago, and they are already padless!! I forgot what type they are... But i ride trails only, so the terrain varies, some sand, the usual water, and mud (pipeline trails mostly). But i need a good pair of front and rear brake pads.. Any suggestions?? I though my rear would last longer then that!!

• 02YZ426

Posted June 06, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Get the pads from Yamaha, Im still on my original set and thats 3 seasons, and by the looks of them I will get another 3.

• 642MX

Posted June 06, 2005 - 03:52 PM

I use the stock pads also. Don't forget to burn the pads in and let them cool down before you take off on the trails.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted June 07, 2005 - 03:00 AM

Where can i get the stock ones?? The ones on the front are stock and they lasted awhile!! Can i get them at a dealer? What do you mean burn them in??

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 07, 2005 - 03:45 AM

Get the stock (OEM) pads from a dealer for sure, some online stores sell them. Just make sure you're getting OEM pads. Put them on and ride. Avoid getting any soap on the brakes, especially if you use those coin operated car washes to clean your bike. If you ride in mud often then think about a solid rotor.

• 642MX

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:15 AM

Heres how I burn them in..... Install the new pads, take your bike out and accelerate to approx 20 mph and hammer on the brakes real hard, do this about 15-20 times and then park the bike and let them cool down completely, then go ride in the woods or wherever. When you heat up the new material and then let it cool, it tends to harden the pad and makes it last a lot longer than if you don't. I hope this helps.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:29 AM

Thanks to you all for the help!!! I will get some new brakes soon.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.