OK we know the 06 YZ will have an aluminum frane but..

41 replies to this topic
  • xcracer123

Posted June 09, 2005 - 07:55 AM

Who's your horse? A factory rider told me that the WR was getting the aluminum frame and he had already ridden one!

• Lowedog

Posted June 09, 2005 - 03:27 PM

I love it :) :) :D :D

:D Lowedog

• WheelsUp

Posted June 09, 2005 - 11:07 PM

Both will have titanium rear shock springs

:) :)
Sounds like a violation of some of the laws of physics unless it's some kind of alloy.
Ti is very brittle, and totally unsuitable for spring stock.

• CraigW

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:04 AM

Sounds like a violation of some of the laws of physics unless it's some kind of alloy.

Why do you say that?
Many of the suspension tuning firms offer them as options.

• CraigW

Posted June 10, 2005 - 12:05 AM

Who's your horse? A factory rider told me that the WR was getting the aluminum frame and he had already ridden one!

My donkey is a representative from Yamaha SA :)

• Hamish

Posted June 10, 2005 - 03:27 AM

check this out
http://www.rentoncoi...ce/auto_racing/

• CraigW

Posted June 10, 2005 - 03:38 AM

check this out
http://www.rentoncoi...ce/auto_racing/

Thanks for the informative link :)

• xcracer123

Posted June 10, 2005 - 04:17 AM

My donkey is a representative from Yamaha SA :)

Maybe the will keep the steel frame on the dark continent. LOL

• WheelsUp

Posted June 10, 2005 - 08:25 AM

Excellent link... I was not aware that they are now using Ti for springs, however, keep in mind:

Titanium springs are not “forever”, Titanium does not exhibit the same “infinite life” characteristic that carbon steel provide at low stress numbers. However for high performance-limited life applications such as racing, where the springs are replaced regularly titanium simply can’t be beat.

I won't be switching to Ti for any spring applications on my bike any time soon.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 10, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Excellent link... I was not aware that they are now using Ti for springs, however, keep in mind:
I won't be switching to Ti for any spring applications on my bike any time soon.

well if you read that a little closer i think what they're saying is that when the ti gives out; it gives out. because right below that it says they last 5-7 X longer than steel. and these are valve springs that quote refers to. in the motorcycle section of that site they state the springs hold their rate at least 2X longer than steel. i run a RCS spring in my yz and its awesome. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MLYARGER

Posted June 10, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Ditto the last remarks....

However, This is Yamaha's 50th anniversary here in the U.S. I look for them to have a lot of revisions and probally some new product to draw in anniversary sales so they can say the 50th was the best next June at the dealer meeting.

Michael
01 WR426F
05 FJR1300

• RB2

Posted June 10, 2005 - 10:50 PM

06 models will include the following:
YZ - ali frame
WR - old steel frame
Both will have titanium rear shock springs, fat bar Renthals.

That's what Ive heard from the horses mouth

My horse says the wr will have the al frame

• RADRick

Posted June 12, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Don't want to say I told you all so, but I did. :) No aluminum frame for the WRs in '06. :) Infact, the WR is fairly unchanged from last year. Oh well, maybe '07. :D

• nilson

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Pro Taper bars though.

• BergArabia

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:03 PM

I would be surprised to see much change in the WR for '06. I could be wrong,.

But you might just be right... :)

2006 Yamaha thread

WR450 2006 specs

• guyzer

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:05 PM

maybe next year(07)

• RADRick

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:05 PM

My horse says the wr will have the al frame

Shoot that good-for-nothing nag! :)

• RADRick

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:16 PM

06 models will include the following:
YZ - ali frame
WR - old steel frame
Both will have titanium rear shock springs, fat bar Renthals.

That's what Ive heard from the horses mouth

Your horse was only half right. Ti springs on the YZs only.

• xcracer123

Posted June 12, 2005 - 09:21 PM

Well, let me be the first to say this. I WAS WRONG!!!! Talked to the factory guy I know today at a race and he said the WR still had the steel frame. He thought the WR was going AL as well but I hadn't talked to him since he called me right after my knee surgery. I was still pretty doped up so maybe I misunderstood. Still, a great bike though. Many want to keep the steel frame so those will be happy. I assume many will go to the YZ now though since they have added a 5 speed tranny. I wouldn't part with the magic button though.

• CraigW

Posted June 12, 2005 - 10:55 PM

Your horse was only half right. Ti springs on the YZs only.

:)

Hey, I did say he was a Donkey :)
But he still whipped that Factory ridden Horse :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.