spotted a 426 for sale need advice

17 replies to this topic
  • nks

Posted June 05, 2005 - 11:14 PM

hi all,
i'm upgrading the 88 XR250, for an yzf426, hoping to gain a lil bit more power :)

today i spotted a yzf426 with a full exhaust, after market ignition timing thingy, new tyres, sprockets, seat, graphics kit (half only), aero bars and some other shit for $5400....

i already forgot the year of the bike but i think its an 03 could be wrong though ( if i am wrong its earlier)... by the way i forgot to mention $5400 AUD ...

the dealer said he'd knock the price down for me a bit and said the bike apparently used to belong to lee hogan, an x - australian supercrosser who now commentates... the dealer said it also has had some head work done...

now i wasn't sure if this is good news or not... now if it was lee hogans bike it would have been raced. which means the bike has probably been thrashed, but well maintained and has extra performance. but i was a lil scared when he mentioned head work, i'm thinking this could result in loss of reliability.

how concerned about this should i be?
the price is good for here in SA, AUS i know that, so i don't need advice on that, but i want something i can trust

also the bike seemed very low like 2" lower than a CR125 next to it, is the normal ride height of the bike low or do you think it has been changed?, i had a look at the rear shock and it is clean and sits about half way on the thread...

hope to hear you replies

thanks

----
nick
----

ps- suppose i'll have to change my avatar now :)

• Slowmotion426

Posted June 05, 2005 - 11:54 PM

One thing is for sure, you'll be gaining a huge amount of power over the XR.

• nks

Posted June 05, 2005 - 11:54 PM

ok well then probably not the 03 then. hehehe. 5400 AUD is like 3500-4000 depending on exchange rate..

hmm i'll find out for sure what year the bike is tomorrow, but to add to what you said how come the bikepics website say that there is a 2003 yz426f, i don't doubt you cos i know that site is flawed, is this just another flaw then?

also is the suspension of the yzf the same as a yz or a lil softer??

yeh i figure the yzf might have a few more horses than the XR :)

• BergArabia

Posted June 06, 2005 - 03:25 AM

5400 AUD is like 3500-4000 depending on exchange rate..

Today 5400 AUD will cost you 4113 USD

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted June 06, 2005 - 08:49 AM

I've bought a lot of used bikes over the years and I usually try to stay away from dealerships. The bikes there tend to be pretty torn up. That's why people trade them in at the dealer. The dealers still try to sell them for full used value though. The first bike that I bought was from a dealer. He told me the classic story that a guy used it for trail riding with his kids on the weekend. Yeah right. If I knew then when I know now, the clutch was so worn, the bike had to have been raced and surely was ridden to death. What a piece of junk. I took it to anther dealer and traded it in on a new bike.

My advice is to really look the bike over well. If the paint on the sides of the frame and the metal on the sides of the engine are worn, I'd pass.

The used bikes that I have bought are like brand new. I always find some guy who just got married, or just had a kid, or just lost his job, or has had it sitting in the garage for a couple of years. That's the bike that you want.

And don't get all caught up in aftermarket stuff. It makes the bike seem cool, but today the stock stuff is so good, that unless you're a top five guy in your district, you'll never know the difference. A great set of bars on a piece of junk is still a piece of junk.

Again, I'd be really cautious buying anything used from a dealer.

Good luck and take your time. It's always a buyer's market. Buy the best bike that you can find. Looking is half the fun.

Here's a good example of something that I would look into further. I'm sure that they can ship to anywhere.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50052&item=4554633331&rd=1[/COLOR]

• CHEEZE13

Posted June 06, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I just bought a 00 426 for 2550 US and it is strong strong strong, the head work thing scares me, and I agree that it is a good rule of thumb to stay far away from dealer trade ins. Also one of my pet peeves is to look very closely at the hubs, I know, but if the are not stained and look new, considering if these are the org. rims, it usally speaks volumes of the general care of the bike.

• MichiganMXer

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:09 AM

You'll be gaining gobs more power. And to be honest I think the price is too high. Screw the dealership, you're paying for some salesman's bills and no dealershit puts ANYTHING into a used bike. Forget the mods and aftermarket stuff, you didnt buy it so why pay for them again. And you wont notice any difference from those mods unlike him.

Go for the 426 for around $3000 U.S. USD/AUD is 1.3066 @ 2:07= $3919.8 Australian dollars.

• Traction12

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like too much money to me. Chances are, if you're moving up from an 88 xr250, a stock 426 will blow you away, let alone one that has a bunch of mods on it. I just bought an 02' 426 that had less than 40 hours on it (here in the U.S.) for $2500. The power of the bike is amazing... even compared to my friends' 250 4-strokes. :)

• nks

Posted June 06, 2005 - 06:10 PM

sorry michiganMXer but i have never seen a 426 in SA (AUS) below $4500 and if i did, i'd be so concerned something was screwed with it. don't forget we pay a lot higher for stuff around here, like cars and that sort.

thanks for all your responses - the guy from the dealership is a genuine bloke, i've known him for a couple of years now, and yes the bike is in immaculate cond. also my best mate bought his yz250 there and has never looked back, hasn't had one single drama. I'm going back there today to have a better look. but i'll still keep my eye on the private market,

thanks again for all your responses

note: i still have to wait for my loan approval.... (spewing!!!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted June 06, 2005 - 06:37 PM

I would be more worried about the fact that an x pro owned it. They ride to the limits of the bike hence the "head work", which was probably done for more power at the upper end (something us mortals dont need). Check all areas that pivot (wheels, steerer tube, swingarm for play. Good Luck

• nks

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:17 PM

yeh i was concerned about that. but having another look at it today, i almost creamed myself... its is definitely an 02. however i did spot one problem with it. with the after market ignition timing system on it, there are two maps you can set, but the switch is f#%#$ on it..,.. that's all..... i did i quick test on suspension and stuff, and seems sweet as... has a few scratches on the crank case, nothing too bad... just looks like rubbing marks... fenders all good, radiator good, new chain + sprockets....

now to approve the loan....

thanks all for you replies...

• Fastest1

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:35 PM

The switch would be an easy fix or buy new. It is probably a "Wolf" ignition and they are made in Australia, I believe. I run one too. But I bought it used and never needed anything for it. The 426 is a great bike, not the most modern but only a little behind. It wouldnt matter for the amateur or casual rider, it rips.

• 426ing-in-MD

Posted June 07, 2005 - 07:59 PM

I bought a 01' 426 from a dealer earlier this year for $2700 where it was on cosignment. it was in great shape, I ride it all the time w/ no problems at all and man that thing is a beast in the power department. every now and then when i can't get to the track i start it up and ride it up and down the street, to keep it fresh ...........I know the neighbors hate me because it has such a beautiful GROWL !!!!! :)

• nks

Posted June 08, 2005 - 02:50 AM

you guys get me way too excited.. hehehe...
yeh just got to go through the motions with the bank, and hope that no one else has laid eyes on her yet...

yeh my neighbours love my mates yz250 ripping up and down the street once in a while.. :)
well at least they don't complain and call the cops

• reggie426

Posted June 08, 2005 - 03:09 AM

The thing you probably have to worry about is, if it seems pretty cheap and it's from a dealership, there's a good chance theres something wrong with it. I think Lee Hogan was with CDR Yamaha in '02, so was this his private practice bike? I would've thought CDR wouldv'e supplied his bikes then. So mabye the dealer is feeding you a load of bullsh*t to try to sell the bike. Just remember, don't get emotionally attached to a bike when you see it all shiney, see it as a pretty large expense if something goes wrong.

Thats my two cents worth, and I only mention it because I think $5400 AUD is pretty cheap for an '02 426, considering '00 models are still fetching between $4500-$5000 now. These bikes were $11000AUD brand new, so why's it dropped so much in 3 years?

• Ga426owner

Posted June 08, 2005 - 07:03 AM

sorry michiganMXer but i have never seen a 426 in SA (AUS) below $4500 and if i did, i'd be so concerned something was screwed with it. don't forget we pay a lot higher for stuff around here, like cars and that sort.

thanks for all your responses - the guy from the dealership is a genuine bloke, i've known him for a couple of years now, and yes the bike is in immaculate cond. also my best mate bought his yz250 there and has never looked back, hasn't had one single drama. I'm going back there today to have a better look. but i'll still keep my eye on the private market,

thanks again for all your responses

note: i still have to wait for my loan approval.... (spewing!!!)

I agree what we (USA) pay and what AUS and Europeans pay is completely different. Just like what I pay for a bike here in Georgia is a heck of a lot less than what you Californians pay for the same bike :)

I say if you trust this particular dealer - because you know him - that holds some merit (as here in the states I would never buy a used bike from any dealer) - just keep this in mind - prices may or may not be higher there in Aus purchasing from private seller or dealers - I still think a private seller would give you a better price - and more negotiation power
Make sure the bike is as it is advertized - Here in the states Racers typically take better care of their bikes than non-racers -
Do you get any dealer warranty?

• 426ing-in-MD

Posted June 08, 2005 - 04:41 PM

one more thing if you wanna see what comparable bikes are going for here in the US go to http://www.cycletrader.com and do a search nationwide on '01 and '02 YZ426 bikes. I think I got a good deal on mine and my mechanic thinks likewise but I see a majority of them in the 3k range, a few high 2k and few in the 4k range. Good Luck and may your thumper make that sweet Growl Brap Brap !! :)

Man I can't wait to fire mine back up, it really is a fun bike to me, I've ridden for 25 years and while its not the best but it is has great bang for the buck

• DirtMongrel

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:34 AM

something else to remember is TAX, in the states we must pay sales tax at dealerships (each state is different about 6-9%) on $5400 that would be $325 to maybe $500. When purchased privately you don't pay sales tax (unless you need to register it with the state) so the saving can add up quickly. Good luck with finding a bike. I bought my '02 426 new and she is still rock solid, I love this bike. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.