Advancing the Cams on the WR400

7 replies to this topic
  • neonbjb

Posted June 05, 2005 - 07:35 PM

Although I'm sure this question has been asked alot in different forums, I couldnt find it pertaining to the WR400. I'm currently adjusting the valves and thought that since I have the cams out allready, why not try advancing them? Does anybody have any advice on how far I can go to get the best top-end gains and what has and hasnt worked for them?

• slipper40

Posted June 06, 2005 - 03:51 AM

hi,
the best gain from cam timeing is to advance the exhaust cam clockwise one tooth this will put you onto yz cam time with huge top and middle range gains and will make it snappy almost like a two stroke

• ferguscawley

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Slipper
Is there any chance of of valve-piston clash by doing this ?. I am looking to buy a WR400 in the next few days and want to use it for both enduro and super moto.

Ferg

• Hamish

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:23 AM

you actually retard the exhaust cam 1 tooth, not advance it.
There is no chance of a piston to valve collision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:48 AM

This should help
http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

I have a 99 400 YZ timed with no problems

• ferguscawley

Posted June 06, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Thanks guys.
I'm still trying to decide which bike I should buy. Is there much difference in terms of power between a 400 and a 426 ?. I want to do some supermoto as well as some enduro stuff. I don't want to feel frustrated / left behind on the supermoto track by a bike that lacks power. The 450s are a little beyond my budget at the moment (kids are an expensive business these days !!).

Thanks again

Ferg

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 06, 2005 - 11:45 AM

So who's right? Do you retard or advance the timing? Is it the same on a 426?

• ferguscawley

Posted June 06, 2005 - 12:08 PM

Cali

My reading of it is that the timing needs to be retarded and, to do this, the cam has to be turned clockwise 1 tooth. Correct me if I'm wrong..........

Ferg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.